    5K receiving rate for data?

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Feb 3, 2004

  2. Pete Holland Jr.

    NLWard Guest

    Most likely the phone company will rent or sell you a modem. Since you don't
    know much more than I do about DSL modems, I'd suggest you use what the
    phone company/provider supplies. I will say they're much, much more
    expensive than going out and buying your own.

    And, no, you can't use your existing modem. That goes to only 56k. Most
    likely the DSL service will be a minimum of 256k.

    NLWard, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Pete Holland Jr.

    Patrick Guest

    Pete Holland Jr. wrote:
    > Hey, everybody!
    >
    > DSL will soon be coming to my area. Before I get too
    > excited, can anyone tell me what kind of modem I need to use
    > it? Will my existing modem work, or do I need a different
    > one? Also, if I have a 56K modem, why can I usually get a
    > 5K receiving rate for data?
    >
    > Dobre utka,
    > Pete Holland Jr.

    Your old 56K modem will not work with DSL, DSL is a lot faster than 56K

    It is most likely that if/when you sign up for DSL with an ISP then a
    suitable modem would be supplied to you by the ISP as part of the
    DSL-package (check with the ISP).

    As of the 56K and 5K modem speed figures, 56K refers to 56,000 bits per
    second, the 5K that is reported is 5,000 bytes per second.
    (1byte=8bits).

    Patrick, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Pete Holland Jr.

    -Stephen- Guest

    The phone company will provide a ADSL modem for a fee or free
    depending on what kind of plan they offer. They should also offer you
    the option of a modem that connects to your computer either by USB or
    a network card, Go with the network card version for better
    performance. Some phone companies offer a package deal to get new
    users to sign up. The package maybe include a free modem and the
    waiving of any sign up fees in exchange for you to sign up for a year
    or two of service. It would be worth your while to sit back a bit and
    see what they have to offer. Also don't uninstall your old 56k modem.
    It's a good idea to keep it around as a backup should you ever
    encounter the DSL service being down. I know with my phone company
    they offer DSL and dialup so I can still log on no matter which of the
    services is down.

    -Stephen-, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Hey, -Stephen- and everyone else!

    I just wanted to say thank you for the info. Not only do I
    have a better idea what to expect, but that question about
    the 56K has been bugging me for a long time now. Thank you
    again.

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Feb 5, 2004