    is used. Perhap's embedded in the file? as the backup card doesn't have the
    same serial it fails to work?

    any ideas?
    Craig Sutton, Jan 15, 2006

  2. Craig Sutton

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:42:32 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > My brother just bought a Fish finder that uses Navionics Gold maps. I'm
    > trying to findout how to do a backup of the sansdisk compactflash. When the
    > required map is purchased the dealer installs it on the card and puts a
    > sticker with serial i.d on it.
    >
    > You can copy this file off onto a pc no problem. But it won't work if you
    > try to dump it to another flashcard.
    > A google reveals something about the serial of the compactflashcard itself
    > is used. Perhap's embedded in the file? as the backup card doesn't have the
    > same serial it fails to work?

    iso. Yes?

    A flash card is nothing more than a device of mass storage, one should be
    able to get and iso of it. Not that I have tried. Not that it may work in
    this case.

    Just some ideas.
    Gordon, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Craig Sutton

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    > iso. Yes?
    >
    > A flash card is nothing more than a device of mass storage, one should
    > be able to get and iso of it. Not that I have tried. Not that it may
    > work in this case.
    >
    > Just some ideas.

    Like a HDD, CF cards have a bios that makes them go, there would be some
    identifying strings in there that the software could look for to stop
    copying.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Craig Sutton

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Craig,

    personally i would fire off a rather dirty email to the developers of this
    'software' and give them a verbal slapping.

    i find it abhorant that 'developers' insist on locking down their 'very special
    software' so that you cant even back the damn thing up !!! its not as if
    a less intrusive copy protection cant be used.

    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jan 17, 2006