    swift response.

    Thanks

    John
    Eatmorepies, Aug 15, 2005

  2. Eatmorepies

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Eatmorepies wrote:

    > I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
    > delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    > up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
    > swift response.

    I'm sure there's time involved, but it's not long.. IS takes place
    in about the same time it takes to focus.. I've never really noticed
    the delay.

    I don't know of many people that can whip a camera up to their
    eye and instantly shoot when using a 300mm lens :)

    With long focal lengths there is some time involved in acquiring
    the subject and then framing. I doing the shutter half-press to
    get things in focus and stabilized during this time.
    Jim Townsend, Aug 15, 2005

  3. Eatmorepies

    Guest

    Eatmorepies wrote:

    > I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
    > delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    > up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
    > swift response.

    Assuming the effect is true, you have options:

    a) don't buy the lens
    b) buy the lens, but disable the IS

    In both cases, you 'don't [...] lose the advantage of the DSLR's swift
    response' (which sounds like a re-worded marketing blurb than anything
    else); what more do you need?

    However, as far as I can tell, you are the first to complain of this
    'problem'; indeed, my own personal experience with two instances of
    Canon's IS binoculars, an EF 500/4 and the 300/4 lenses indicates your
    un-named source is either totally ignorant of the equipment (to wit:
    the delay isn't worth worrying about), or was just pulling your leg.
    Alas, USENET being what it is, we have The Bayesian Prior: _you_ are
    just pulling our legs until you cite your source.
    , Aug 15, 2005
  4. Eatmorepies

    Colin D Guest

    Eatmorepies wrote:

    > I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
    > delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    > up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
    > swift response.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    The IS starts operating when you take a half-pressure to activate the
    autofocus, and works continuously until you release the trigger. On my
    17-85mm IS, the IS takes less than 1/4 second to start, and unless you
    are taking an absolute grab shot as fast as possible, you won't notice
    any lag at all. Under the usual shooting conditions, for me at least, I
    have a half-pressure on the trigger while framing and focusing, and
    firing is practically instantaneous when I shoot. Half a second after
    you release the trigger, you can hear the IS stop.

    Possiblt the 300mm is slower than the 17-85, but with regards to the
    above I don't think it would be a problem.

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Aug 15, 2005
  5. Eatmorepies

    Alan Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is

    > delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    > up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the

    DSLR's
    > swift response.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    I have 2 IS lenses. While there is a tiny amount of time for the IS system
    to get going, it is un-noticable, and it stays running all the time the
    shutter is half pressed (focusng) and for a few seconds afterwards. In any
    case it does NOT cause any delay to the camera to take a shot between
    pressing the shutter and it actually firing.
    The time taken to focus (manually or auto) is far longer in comparison.

    IS is damn good!

    Alan.
    Alan, Aug 15, 2005
  6. Eatmorepies

    Mark² Guest

    >I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
    >delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    >up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
    >swift response.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    The delay is far less than one half second.
    I'd estimate about 1/5th of a second.

    Also...when shooting action, most people have the shutter half-pressed well
    before the actual exposure, which means the IS is whirring all along.
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  7. Eatmorepies

    Skip M Guest

    >I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
    >delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    >up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
    >swift response.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    It takes about a half second, or less from the time the IS is first turned
    on for it to kick in. Once it is turned on, it's nearly instantaneous from
    that point on, for subsequent shots.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Eatmorepies

    Mark² Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > "Eatmorepies" <> wrote in message
    >>I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is
    >>a delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to
    >>get up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the
    >>DSLR's swift response.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > It takes about a half second, or less from the time the IS is first turned
    > on for it to kick in. Once it is turned on, it's nearly instantaneous
    > from that point on, for subsequent shots.

    Hey Skip...
    Have you heard about the likely Canon 24-105 f4 *IS* L???
    Had I seen this offering, I might have held off on the 24-70...
    :(
    Seems my prediction wasn't too far off...
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  9. Eatmorepies

    Skip M Guest

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> "Eatmorepies" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is
    >>>a delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to
    >>>get up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the
    >>>DSLR's swift response.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> It takes about a half second, or less from the time the IS is first
    >> turned on for it to kick in. Once it is turned on, it's nearly
    >> instantaneous from that point on, for subsequent shots.

    > Hey Skip...
    > Have you heard about the likely Canon 24-105 f4 *IS* L???
    > Had I seen this offering, I might have held off on the 24-70...
    > :(
    > Seems my prediction wasn't too far off...

    I just did hear about it. It wouldn't have dissuaded me from getting the
    24-70, though, I needed that f2.8. I'm looking at it as a secondary lens,
    though. We were going to buy a second 28-70, this might do the trick,
    instead...
    It figures, though, like we both said...

    Skip M, Aug 16, 2005
  10. Eatmorepies wrote:
    > I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
    > delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    > up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
    > swift response.

    I have this lens, as well as 500 f/4 L IS,
    100-400 L IS, and 28-135 IS. I done a lot of action shots
    with it on 10D and 1D Mark II bodies, and I have never
    had an issue with startup time on any of the
    IS lenses, and with tens of thousands of images.
    I have had issues with autofocus not being able to
    lock on and follow very fast and erratic action of
    animals, even with the 1D Mark II, and this is with both
    the 300 and 500 f/4 L IS lenses. The 1D Mark II is also
    much much MUCH faster than the 10D. When I use the 10D
    the response seems sluggish compared to the 1D II
    (like a P&S feels sluggish after using a DSLR).

    Roger
    Images at: http://www.clarkvision.com
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Aug 16, 2005
  11. Eatmorepies

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is
    >a delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    >up to speed. Is this true?

    There's a delay slightly longer than acquiring AF but just slightly.
    The "up to" probably covers this since it's typically much shorter than
    0.5 sec, more like a few 10's of milliseconds. I shoot hummingbirds in
    flight with a 500 f/4 IS (acquiring AF is the hard part) and usually
    leave the IS on and don't notice the extra delay, but if the shutter
    speed is fast enough you can always just switch it off if you find the
    'delay' is bothersome. The only people I know who turn IS off for this
    reason are shooting birds in flight at fast shutter speeds and they
    don't want to delay AF in the slightest.

    >I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
    >swift response.

    You'll see a lot more variation in focus speed between camera models
    (ie, 10D is slower than the 20D which is slower than the 1D Mark II)
    than you will between IS on and IS off.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Aug 16, 2005
  12. Eatmorepies

    Mark² Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is
    >>a delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to
    >>get
    >>up to speed. Is this true?

    > There's a delay slightly longer than acquiring AF but just slightly.
    > The "up to" probably covers this since it's typically much shorter than
    > 0.5 sec, more like a few 10's of milliseconds. I shoot hummingbirds in
    > flight with a 500 f/4 IS (acquiring AF is the hard part) and usually
    > leave the IS on and don't notice the extra delay, but if the shutter
    > speed is fast enough you can always just switch it off if you find the
    > 'delay' is bothersome. The only people I know who turn IS off for this
    > reason are shooting birds in flight at fast shutter speeds and they
    > don't want to delay AF in the slightest.
    >
    >>I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
    >>swift response.

    > You'll see a lot more variation in focus speed between camera models
    > (ie, 10D is slower than the 20D which is slower than the 1D Mark II)
    > than you will between IS on and IS off.

    That's true.
    IS is body-independant for start-up, while AF is waiting for direction from
    the body sensors, which vary greatly in sensitivity (I know you know this
    Bill...but others are listening...)
    :)
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  13. Eatmorepies

    dave Guest

    > I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is

    > delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    > up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the

    DSLR's
    > swift response.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    there is no delay for firing the shutter. however, it is recommended for the
    IS to be operational for around 1/2 sec or more to get the full benefit. you
    don't NEED to wait for it, but if you want the benefit then IS is your
    buddy.
    usually, when IS is on, you're shooting a stationary subject or in the case
    of the 70-200 2.8L IS, panning with a subject. in either case, the half
    second for it to be fully effective is negligible (if panning, i'd hope you
    are panning for longer 0.5s before releaasing the shutter!)
    dave, Aug 16, 2005
  14. Eatmorepies

    Mark² Guest

    "dave" <> wrote in message

    > "Eatmorepies" <> wrote in message
    >> I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is

    >> delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to
    >> get
    >> up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the

    > DSLR's
    >> swift response.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > there is no delay for firing the shutter. however, it is recommended for
    > the
    > IS to be operational for around 1/2 sec or more to get the full benefit.
    > you
    > don't NEED to wait for it, but if you want the benefit then IS is your
    > buddy.
    > usually, when IS is on, you're shooting a stationary subject or in the
    > case
    > of the 70-200 2.8L IS, panning with a subject. in either case, the half
    > second for it to be fully effective is negligible (if panning, i'd hope
    > you
    > are panning for longer 0.5s before releaasing the shutter!)

    This is true.
    Most of the time when using IS, you're holding the button half way down far
    longer than IS needs anyway (for other reasons).
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005

  15. >

    >>I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
    >>delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
    >>up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
    >>swift response.

    You should also remember that,if you don't have IS, you usually leave a
    little time after you press the shutter button half way to let the
    camera come to focus and for you to relax and try to become motionless.
    If you try to shoot too fast, camera shake is a real possibility
    except at high speeds, and for those you can just turn off the IS anyway.

    Joe
    Joseph Miller, Aug 16, 2005