A question about appropriate power supply/case

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Paul, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    hi there

    i'm in the market for a new pc and i want to build one with the following
    bits in it.

    athlon xp2400
    1gb ram
    2 x ide hdd drives in raid 1
    1 x ide hdd drive for my video data
    1 x dvd drive
    1 x cd writer

    my question is: what sort of power supply do i need. Is 300W enough? and is
    there any other considerations that someone can think of.

    thanks for the help

    paul

    Paul, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Paul wrote:
    > hi there
    >
    > i'm in the market for a new pc and i want to build one with the
    > following bits in it.
    >
    > athlon xp2400
    > 1gb ram
    > 2 x ide hdd drives in raid 1
    > 1 x ide hdd drive for my video data
    > 1 x dvd drive
    > 1 x cd writer
    >
    > my question is: what sort of power supply do i need. Is 300W enough?
    > and is there any other considerations that someone can think of.

    A very-good brand 350W would do the job. A very-good brand 300W *might* do
    the job. If you want to rely on the kind of 300W powersupply you get with
    "Koala" and "ICute" cases, then forger about it :).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 25, 2003

  3. On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:58:36 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    >> my question is: what sort of power supply do i need. Is 300W enough?
    >> and is there any other considerations that someone can think of.

    > A very-good brand 350W would do the job.

    Until more stuff gets loaded in. 350W is minimum spec.

    Better to get a 450W or 500W supply. It doesn't hurt to overspecify this
    stuff and saves some possible aggrivation later on.

    Usual warnings about cheap PSUs apply, get Enermax or one of the other
    quality PSUs mentioned. The price difference between crap and good is
    usually only about 10%

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    1: opt-in with archived, provable confirmation.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Paul

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > hi there
    >
    > i'm in the market for a new pc and i want to build one with the following
    > bits in it.
    >
    > athlon xp2400
    > 1gb ram
    > 2 x ide hdd drives in raid 1
    > 1 x ide hdd drive for my video data
    > 1 x dvd drive
    > 1 x cd writer
    >
    > my question is: what sort of power supply do i need. Is 300W enough? and

    is
    > there any other considerations that someone can think of.
    >
    > thanks for the help

    Have a look here:

    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 26, 2003
  5. Paul

    T.N.O Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > Have a look here:
    > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    According to that, I only need a 325w power supply for my dual athlon... I
    doubt that somehow, it crippled a 350, was flaky on a 400, so I now have a
    431(biggest I could get at the time).

    Maybe add 50watts onto what it comes out with.

    Also it doesn't cover other cards in the machine, the number of fans you
    run, and under estimates the output of the CPUs.

    T.N.O, Aug 26, 2003
  6. Paul

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "T.N.O" <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" wrote
    > > Have a look here:
    > > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    > According to that, I only need a 325w power supply for my dual athlon... I
    > doubt that somehow, it crippled a 350, was flaky on a 400, so I now have a
    > 431(biggest I could get at the time).
    >
    > Maybe add 50watts onto what it comes out with.
    >
    > Also it doesn't cover other cards in the machine, the number of fans you
    > run, and under estimates the output of the CPUs.

    Hey, I didn't write it, just found it. It does cover other cards in the
    machine, look on the right-hand side of the page.

    I agree that it seems to under-estimate the power required but maybe it's
    working on 'true' watts, not manufacturer's specs.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Paul

    colinco Guest

    In article <bicas6$khh$>, says...
    > my question is: what sort of power supply do i need. Is 300W enough? and is
    > there any other considerations that someone can think of.

    Most older ~300W PSU do not have enough 12V output available. The trend
    is to load the 12V rail leaving 5V to do less. You should look for 18-
    20Amp on 12V rail.

    colinco, Aug 26, 2003
  8. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:04:08 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Hey, I didn't write it, just found it. It does cover other cards in the
    > machine, look on the right-hand side of the page.

    Those specs are usually written without regard to the video card and most
    3d cards are easily putting another 30-40W onto the PSU spec (no, they
    don't draw that much, but their 3.3V draw is high)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 26, 2003