    player with a single button on the remote to change the progressive
    setting would be fine too. I just want the process simplified.

    Thanks, Erik

    E. Duvick, Mar 3, 2004

  2. E. Duvick

    Richard C. Guest

    "E. Duvick" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : Hi all.
    :
    : Does anyone know of a progressive scan player that will "box" the
    : sides of a 4:3 source for progressive playback? The setting for
    : progressive output is buried in my players settings and I'm tired of
    : digging in to change it everytime I watch a TV series on dvd. A
    : player with a single button on the remote to change the progressive
    : setting would be fine too. I just want the process simplified.
    :
    ================================
    All of my 4:3 aspect ratio DVDs display fine with my progressive player.
    Pioneer Elite 46.
    ==============================

    Richard C., Mar 3, 2004

  3. E. Duvick wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a progressive scan player that will "box" the
    > sides of a 4:3 source for progressive playback? The setting for
    > progressive output is buried in my players settings and I'm tired of
    > digging in to change it everytime I watch a TV series on dvd. A
    > player with a single button on the remote to change the progressive
    > setting would be fine too. I just want the process simplified.
    >
    > Thanks, Erik

    Are you absolutely positive there isn't a simple switch on the back of
    your player for pro-to-interlace selection? If your player makes you
    jump that many hurdles for a simple operation like this how good can it
    be? What model is it?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Mar 3, 2004
  4. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:55:19 +0000, Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > Are you absolutely positive there isn't a simple switch on the back of
    > your player for pro-to-interlace selection? If your player makes you
    > jump that many hurdles for a simple operation like this how good can it
    > be? What model is it?

    It's a Pioneer DV-260. No, there is no switch. Even if there was it
    would still be a hassle to pull the player out of the cabnet to flip the
    switch. What I'm looking for is a prog scan player that will "correct"
    for the 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen TV. Similar to what any dvd
    player does for 2.35:1 on a standard TV. This is an issue only because,
    when in progressive mode, my player forces 1.78:1 ratio so I can't change
    my tv to 4:3. Thus, any 4:3 source gets streched or I go through the
    process of turning off progressive mode in the player. Are there models
    that don't force a certain ratio? Is it just mine that does?

    Thanks again, Erik

    Erik N. Duvick, Mar 3, 2004
  5. E. Duvick

    sumoneOnRR Guest

    Hmmm, my Panasonic (F65?) doesn't do that. It will stretch the screen to
    full in progressive mode, but I can just change the TV to 4:3 if I want
    without any other tricks. What it won't do in progressive is Justify -
    center unnstretched, then stretching the edges.

    sumoneOnRR, Mar 3, 2004
  6. E. Duvick

    sumoneOnRR, Mar 3, 2004
  7. Erik N. Duvick wrote:
    > What I'm looking for is a prog scan player that will "correct" for the
    > 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen TV....[t]his is an issue only because,
    > when in progressive mode, my player forces 1.78:1 ratio so I can't
    > change my tv to 4:3. Thus, any 4:3 source gets streched or I go through
    > the process of turning off progressive mode in the player.

    The Panasonic RP-91 will do what you're looking for: for non-anamorphic
    video, it defaults to shrinking 1.33:1 images to fit in the middle of the
    16:9 screen (with black pillarboxing). For correctly-flagged 4:3
    letterboxed titles (non-anamorphic widescreen), it'll zoom without
    stretching, so that the video covers the entire width of the screen. I'm a
    big fan of this feature: my TV doesn't lock into FULL mode, but it's still
    nice not to constantly have to cycle the TV's input modes.

    Now the bad news: the RP-91 has been out of production for at least a year,
    and I don't know -- off the top of my head -- of any other player that does
    this.

    Another option for getting around your set's FULL lock is to use a HTPC:
    see <http://www.the-doa.com/Pages/DoaFullLock3.html> for some discussion of
    this.

    HTH,

    doug

    --
    "You know some people need nothing else..."
    --Shriekback

    Douglas Bailey, Mar 3, 2004