    launch from my task bad which keep on coming up after every reboot.

    Thanks for any help given

    Azar
    Az, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Az

    °Mike° Guest

    For the search assistant, copy/paste the following into
    Notepad and save it as a .reg file. Double click on the
    saved .reg file to merge it into your registry.

    ***** <--- OMIT THIS LINE
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
    "Use Search Asst"="no"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Use Search Asst"="no"

    ***** <--- OMIT THIS LINE

    For the QuickLaunch bar, right click on the taskbar, select
    'Toolbars' and uncheck 'QuickLaunch'.

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:06:30 GMT, in
    <Gj8od.716$>
    Az scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Az

    Az Guest

    Ive tried it Mike and all I get is:

    The specified file is not a registry script.
    You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

    What do I do now?

    Az, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Az

    °Mike° Guest

    Then you haven't done it properly. Do NOT copy
    the lines that say "OMIT THIS LINE".

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:36:05 GMT, in
    <V2lod.47$>
    Az scrawled:

    >Ive tried it Mike and all I get is:
    >
    >The specified file is not a registry script.
    >You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.
    >
    >What do I do now?
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> For the search assistant, copy/paste the following into
    >> Notepad and save it as a .reg file. Double click on the
    >> saved .reg file to merge it into your registry.
    >>
    >> ***** <--- OMIT THIS LINE
    >> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
    >> "Use Search Asst"="no"
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    >> "Use Search Asst"="no"
    >>
    >> ***** <--- OMIT THIS LINE

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 22, 2004
  5. Az

    Az Guest

    Ok, I did that and still nothing, Ive ommitted the line too.

    Az, Nov 22, 2004
  6. Az

    °Mike° Guest

    What do you mean, "still nothing"? What (exactly) did
    you do, and what happened when you did it?

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:59:59 GMT, in
    <jrsod.311$>
    Az scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Az

    Az Guest

    I did what you told me and saved the file, BTW Is there anywhere is specific
    that I should have saved it?
    And it said what I told you earlier:

    The specified file is not a registry script.
    You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

    So I have no idea what Im doing wrong.

    Az, Nov 23, 2004
  8. Az

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2004
  9. Az

    Az Guest

    I really did, I followed your instructions to the letter but nothing still.
    I know that it maybe hard for you to believe but Im actually telling the
    truth.

    Az, Nov 23, 2004
  10. Az

    °Mike° Guest

    Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's try
    it another way. I have uploaded the appropriate .reg
    file (zipped) here:
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/temp/searchasst.zip

    Download the file and unzip it to your desktop.
    Read the "readme.txt" file.

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:46:14 GMT, in
    <WzLod.340$%>
    Az scrawled:

    >I really did, I followed your instructions to the letter but nothing still.
    >I know that it maybe hard for you to believe but Im actually telling the
    >truth.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2004
  11. Az

    Az Guest

    ok Ive disabled it and it added to the registry and I rebooted it, When it
    loaded up it showed the search assistant and quick launch again and I
    unchecked them again, So hopefully it stays off now.

    Az, Nov 23, 2004