  1. When I first got my machine, I could play DVD's on it. About 18 months ago, I got a DVD player on my TV so I didn't need it anymore. I have a problem with the DVD player, so I went to load up a DVD on my machine. It tells me I need an encoder, so I went and downloaded one. That makes no difference. I've tried taking the DVD-rom out of the Device Manager, and it comes back fine, but still can't run any DVD's (even DVD's that used to run on it). What's going on? Can anyone help me get this thing up and playing DVD's?

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, May 16, 2007

  2. BTW, I'm running Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 and a Lite-on Combo LTC-48161H.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, May 16, 2007

  3. Brian Whiting

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:34:22 -0400, Brian Whiting wrote:

    > BTW, I'm running Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 and a Lite-on Combo
    > LTC-48161H.

    And you also don't use your enter key when you reach the end of a
    reasonable line length.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, May 16, 2007
  4. "Brian Whiting" <> wrote in message
    When I first got my machine, I could play DVD's on it. About 18 months ago,
    I got a DVD player on my TV so I didn't need it anymore. I have a problem
    with the DVD player, so I went to load up a DVD on my machine. It tells me
    I need an encoder, so I went and downloaded one. That makes no difference.
    I've tried taking the DVD-rom out of the Device Manager, and it comes back
    fine, but still can't run any DVD's (even DVD's that used to run on it).
    What's going on? Can anyone help me get this thing up and playing DVD's?

    Try Fraunhofer codecs from here:
    <http://www.cliprex.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=view_category&Itemid=1&subcat=0&catid=10&orderby=dmdatecounter&ascdesc=DESC>
    Jeepers Creepers, May 16, 2007
  5. Actually, it has nothing to do with that. I have my windows maximized so I
    can see as much as I can. If you enlarge your window, you'll see the lines
    more clearly.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, May 16, 2007
  6. I tried to download them and run the link, but it said that there was a
    corrupted file, and that I could put a /somethingorother to go with it to
    bypass the check, but it was NOT recommended. I also downloaded a DVD
    player from them, and it made no difference, but added what looks like
    adaware onto my system. I have an email request into them, but who knows
    when or if they'll get back.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, May 16, 2007
  7. Brian Whiting

    flamer Guest

    On May 17, 5:32 am, "Brian Whiting" <> wrote:
    > When I first got my machine, I could play DVD's on it. About 18 months ago, I got a DVD player on my TV so I didn't need it anymore. I have a problem with the DVD player, so I went to load up a DVD on my machine. It tells me I need an encoder, so I went and downloaded one. That makes no difference. I've tried taking the DVD-rom out of the Device Manager, and it comes back fine, but still can't run any DVD's (even DVD's that used to run on it). What's going on? Can anyone help me get this thing up and playing DVD's?
    >
    > --
    > Brian J. Whiting

    if the disc is spinning up and looks like its playing then sounds more
    like a problem with windows media player, try download divx player
    then try and play a dvd movie, if that works then reinstall media
    player (and also allow it access to the internet if you have a
    firewall).

    Flamer.
    flamer , May 16, 2007
  8. Brian Whiting

    Plato Guest

    Plato, May 17, 2007
  9. Brian Whiting

    Lookout Guest

    On Wed, 16 May 2007 17:52:42 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:34:22 -0400, Brian Whiting wrote:
    >
    >> BTW, I'm running Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 and a Lite-on Combo
    >> LTC-48161H.

    >And you also don't use your enter key when you reach the end of a
    >reasonable line length.

    Most program allow the reader to set the lines to wrap. Most of us
    don't hit the 'return' key.
    Lookout, May 17, 2007
  10. "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 May 2007 17:52:42 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:34:22 -0400, Brian Whiting wrote:
    >>
    >>> BTW, I'm running Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 and a Lite-on Combo
    >>> LTC-48161H.

    >>And you also don't use your enter key when you reach the end of a
    >>reasonable line length.

    > Most program allow the reader to set the lines to wrap. Most of us
    > don't hit the 'return' key.

    I didn't want to insult his intelligence too much... :).

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, May 17, 2007
  11. Brian Whiting

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 16 May 2007 21:50:13 -0500, Lookout wrote:

    > Most program allow the reader to set the lines to wrap. Most of us don't
    > hit the 'return' key.

    Nor do I. Mine is also set to word-wrap at about 75 characters. As the OP
    obviously doesn't have his set up to do the same I made the assumption,
    most likely incorrect, that instead he might trust himself to hit the
    enter key every time he reached about 75 characters in each line (which
    is a pretty crappy idea for anyone to have).

    If that is the case, he's failing woefully in his intentions. If it's not
    the case (highly likely) then he should set his word-wrap correctly. It's
    no fun having to scroll to the side trying to read a single long line of
    text.

    Aardvark, May 17, 2007
  12. Brian Whiting

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 16 May 2007 23:15:54 -0400, Brian Whiting wrote:

    > I didn't want to insult his intelligence too much... .

    This from a moron who posts HTML to a text-only NG.

    Aardvark, May 17, 2007