    Gigabyte MoBo supports. Is it possible I just got a bad card or is there
    something else I should do before I argue with Best Buy on a return and
    exchange.

    Jerry, May 30, 2005

  2. Jerry

    Thomson Tim Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > I'm using an ATI AIW 7500 and I keep getting a blue screen of death and
    > message problem with device driver or hardware problem. I dnloaded and
    > installed latest ATI drives I could find and it did not help. Bought a new
    > ATI AIW 9600 and after installation and I turned on PC I get two or three
    > quick beeps [I know that is bad, and a blank CRT screen]. Installed old card
    > and booted normal. Old card will run some what [so I can at least read
    > e-mail without crash but no videos etc.] on WinXP default drivers but not
    > ATI drivers. New card is 8X AGP but box says it will run on 4X AGP which my
    > Gigabyte MoBo supports. Is it possible I just got a bad card or is there
    > something else I should do before I argue with Best Buy on a return and
    > exchange.

    Install Gart drivers for your AGP slot first. You might have to put your old
    video card in first. Read your mother board manual "Gart"

    Thomson Tim, May 30, 2005

  3. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Thanks for getting back to me. I read the manual and did not see any
    reference to Gart drivers. The AGP drivers installed now are Intel. A visit
    to the Gigabyte site indicates there are no new Intel AGP drivers. Are Gart
    drivers different from Intel AGP drivers?

    The new ATI 9600 manual "seems" to indicate I should have Intel AGP drivers
    installed, however, I would suggest the manual was written by someone who
    uses a lot of negatives, so I'm not sure.

    Jerry, May 30, 2005
  4. Jerry

    gangle Guest

    "Jerry" wrote
    > I'm using an ATI AIW 7500 and I keep getting a blue screen of death and
    > message problem with device driver or hardware problem. I dnloaded and
    > installed latest ATI drives I could find and it did not help. Bought a new
    > ATI AIW 9600 and after installation and I turned on PC I get two or three
    > quick beeps [I know that is bad, and a blank CRT screen]. Installed old card
    > and booted normal. Old card will run some what [so I can at least read
    > e-mail without crash but no videos etc.] on WinXP default drivers but not
    > ATI drivers. New card is 8X AGP but box says it will run on 4X AGP which my
    > Gigabyte MoBo supports. Is it possible I just got a bad card or is there
    > something else I should do before I argue with Best Buy on a return and
    > exchange.

    The simple truth is that ATI's drivers often do not work fully or
    even cause blue screen problems like you are having. So, if the
    problem is NOT ATI driver and/or hardware related, it is going to
    take a miracle for you to stumble onto the real cause.

    gangle, May 30, 2005