A Problem With E-Mail And False Messages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete Holland Jr., Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Hey, everybody!

    This one's a poser.

    For the last few days, I've been getting messages at my Yahoo e-mail
    from the AOL server, saying my message is undeliverable to one or more
    addresses. I don't know anyone on AOL. The body of the message is
    spam, and my Yahoo addy is being forged as the return. Curiously, it's
    only AOL that is bouncing my messages. I checked the addresses
    supposedly sent to, and it's nobody I know or in my address book (only a
    few are in my address book, most of my contact info is in a Word file
    that I cut and paste from. It seems a better place to hide the info).
    I have sent a message to Yahoo about it, and will contact my ISP
    tomorrow. I have changed my password as a precaution. But while
    waiting for that, I have some questions and I hope the experts or
    experienced can answer them.

    1) Is there going to be a difference in the full header listing my ISP
    and the full header from the bounced messages, hopefully showing that it
    isn't the ISP I use?

    2) Is there a way to run down where the messages are coming from and
    get the ISP on the case?

    3) Should I buzz the fuzz about this, or is there nothing they can do?

    Sincerely,
    Pete Holland Jr.
    Pete Holland Jr., Jul 9, 2003

  2. Pete Holland Jr.

    °Mike° Guest

    Somebody who is on, or has been on, your contact list is, or
    was, infected with a worm (probably something like Klez).
    Worms like Klez have their own SMTP engine and forge headers
    based on information that it gathers infected system, to infected
    system.

    These will help you figure out the headers so you can inform
    the correct persons.

    Figuring out fake email and posts.
    http://home.digital.net/~gandalf/spamfaq.html

    Tracking Spam
    http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/tracking.html

    Spam Tracking
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/Abuse/Spam/Tracking/

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:21:27 -0500, in
    <>
    Pete Holland Jr. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Pete Holland Jr.

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:52:00 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    >Somebody who is on, or has been on, your contact list is, or
    >was, infected with a worm (probably something like Klez).
    >Worms like Klez have their own SMTP engine and forge headers
    >based on information that it gathers infected system, to infected
    >system.

    AOL's servers bounced the messages back to the _forged_ address. It's common
    knowledge in nana*.

    "Not too bright."

    <snip>

    --
    "I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
    -- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000
    Mara, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Pete Holland Jr.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:58:25 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    >On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:52:00 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>Somebody who is on, or has been on, your contact list is, or
    >>was, infected with a worm (probably something like Klez).
    >>Worms like Klez have their own SMTP engine and forge headers
    >>based on information that it gathers infected system, to infected
    >>system.

    >AOL's servers bounced the messages back to the _forged_ address.
    >It's common knowledge in nana*.
    >
    >"Not too bright."

    --
    "Life is full of little surprises." -- Pandora
    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2003