    There is no need to reboot after installing it.
    This worked out the "Lost Planet" demo, to the joy of mi kids.
    Carlos
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 16, 2007

  2. Carlos wrote:
    > I downloaded the "Lost Planet" game demo from NVidia's NZone (www.nzone.com)
    > in order to test my brand new 8600GTS DX10 capable card.
    > To my surprise the game wouldn't start, complaining that it was missing a
    > DX10 dll.
    > How could that be possible if Vista had DX10 on board from the very start?
    > It seems that MS does frequently updates to DX9/DX10 but they don't show up
    > in Windows Update.
    > I recommend downloading the DX redist (June 2007) from here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...67-d926-463b-99e8-27199d6626b5&DisplayLang=en
    > which will update your DX9/10 with all the needed dll's.
    > This is the D/L link:
    > http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-b6c8-2cd5742a073a/directx_jun2007_redist.exe
    > There is no need to reboot after installing it.
    > This worked out the "Lost Planet" demo, to the joy of mi kids.
    > Carlos

    Dear Carlos:

    What was the exact name of the missing DLL?

    Regards,
    Jim Henriksen
    Jim Henriksen, Jun 18, 2007

  3. Jim:
    d3dx10_33.dll
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 18, 2007
  4. Carlos wrote:
    > Jim:
    > d3dx10_33.dll
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Jim Henriksen" wrote:
    >
    >> Carlos wrote:
    >>> I downloaded the "Lost Planet" game demo from NVidia's NZone (www.nzone.com)
    >>> in order to test my brand new 8600GTS DX10 capable card.
    >>> To my surprise the game wouldn't start, complaining that it was missing a
    >>> DX10 dll.
    >>> How could that be possible if Vista had DX10 on board from the very start?
    >>> It seems that MS does frequently updates to DX9/DX10 but they don't show up
    >>> in Windows Update.
    >>> I recommend downloading the DX redist (June 2007) from here:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...67-d926-463b-99e8-27199d6626b5&DisplayLang=en
    >>> which will update your DX9/10 with all the needed dll's.
    >>> This is the D/L link:
    >>> http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-b6c8-2cd5742a073a/directx_jun2007_redist.exe
    >>> There is no need to reboot after installing it.
    >>> This worked out the "Lost Planet" demo, to the joy of mi kids.
    >>> Carlos
    >>>

    >> Dear Carlos:
    >>
    >> What was the exact name of the missing DLL?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Jim Henriksen

    Dear Carlos:

    I have no experience with DX10, but I have a lot of experience with DX9.

    With DX9, MS issues updated versions of the D3DX... DLLs every several
    months. The file names contain a number that is incremented with each
    successive release. The D3DX... files are not included in DX run-time
    downloads. MS's position is that they distribute DirectX "core
    technology," and the D3DX files are not considered to be core
    technology. Hence, developers of games and other software based on
    DirectX are responsible for including the D3DX DLLs corresponding to the
    libraries used to build their software. This is a real pain in the
    butt. In my case, it adds about 15Mb to downloads.

    I presume that this fine DX9 tradition has been carried on with DX10.
    All of this was hotly debated several years ago, but MS dug in its
    heels, and they own all the marbles. d3dx10_3.dll should have been
    distributed with the game.

    Regards,
    Jim
    Jim Henriksen, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Jim:
    You are quite right.
    It seems that it is up to Capcom, the authors of the demo, to provide de
    necessary dll's.
    Anyway, downloading and installed the aforementioned package from MS solved
    the problem.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 18, 2007