    than the one you're using?

    Ideas?

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006

  2. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:51:27 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

    How odd, you may want to help the other guy asking the same question the
    past few days and see if there are any replies.

    From: "Jim Beaver" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Unintentional switching between windows

    From: "Jim Beaver" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Unexplained phenomenon

    >Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website link,
    >or on a
    >different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
    >change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight out

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 1, 2006

  3. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    > On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:51:27 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
    >
    > How odd, you may want to help the other guy asking the same question the
    > past few days and see if there are any replies.

    Not so odd. I've been posting questions on this newsgroup for years and
    have always gotten helpful responses. I posted the original of this
    question a week or so ago and got ZERO responses, very unusual in my
    experience. It occurred to me that since I'd been having problems with my
    newsreader that perhaps my original hadn't actually gone out to the broader
    readership. So I posted it again under a new subject line in order to make
    certain it was a new thread. Once again, ZERO response. As the question
    did not seem the sort to utterly stymie the entire readership of this ng, I
    was puzzled. Then it occurred to me that the subject line of both posts had
    begun with a letter far down in the alphabet, and that perhaps readers
    simply weren't reading that far down the list of subject lines (my
    newsreader currently shows 74,650 posts in this newsgroup, and I don't
    remotely ever get all the way through the list). So I thought I would try
    one more time, this time posting with a subject line aimed at the beginning
    of the alphabet.

    Finally, thank God, I got a response. Yours.

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Jim Beaver

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-01, Jim Beaver <> wrote:

    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:51:27 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
    >>
    >> How odd, you may want to help the other guy asking the same question the
    >> past few days and see if there are any replies.

    > Not so odd. I've been posting questions on this newsgroup for years and
    > have always gotten helpful responses. I posted the original of this
    > question a week or so ago and got ZERO responses, very unusual in my
    > experience. It occurred to me that since I'd been having problems with my
    > newsreader that perhaps my original hadn't actually gone out to the broader
    > readership. So I posted it again under a new subject line in order to make
    > certain it was a new thread. Once again, ZERO response. As the question
    > did not seem the sort to utterly stymie the entire readership of this ng, I
    > was puzzled.

    Such things can happen. I saw your questions about focus going to the
    wrong window, or whatever the precise details were, but I have never seen
    or heard of such a thing and I don't use Windows, which you do use, so I
    had no answer to give.

    Three wild guesses: video card or chipset on the way out; driver for same
    is faulty; you are using a laptop with a touchpad and your hand is moving
    the mouse pointer without you meaning to move it (the curse of touchpads).

    > Then it occurred to me that the subject line of both posts had
    > begun with a letter far down in the alphabet, and that perhaps readers
    > simply weren't reading that far down the list of subject lines

    There are people who sort newsgroup articles by subject? How odd.

    > (my
    > newsreader currently shows 74,650 posts in this newsgroup, and I don't
    > remotely ever get all the way through the list).

    Perhaps you should tell your newsreader that all the articles have been
    read and that you do not wish to be shown articles that have been read
    already. ("Catchup" is the usual term). Otherwise reading a newsgroup
    becomes well nigh impossible fairly quickly.

    > So I thought I would try
    > one more time, this time posting with a subject line aimed at the beginning
    > of the alphabet.
    >
    > Finally, thank God, I got a response. Yours.
    >
    > Jim Beaver

    Yes, well, there you go .... ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 1, 2006
  5. i cannot think of anything in XP that would induce such a phenomenon,
    maybe a piece of 3rd party software or a virus has something to do with
    it... It is very strange. Good luck with figuring it out.

    TIP: every time something that seems unresolvable happens to my
    computer i just install windows again and its gone... try it.

    i doubt its a hardware problem.
    James Padolsey, Sep 1, 2006
  6. Jim Beaver

    Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote:

    >Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website link,
    >or on a
    >different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
    >change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight out
    >of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE
    >looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail folder, for example,
    >the screen will switch to my open browser window or to an open application.
    >It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
    >
    >It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
    >would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why would
    >anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different window
    >than the one you're using?

    Do you have Tweak UI installed?
    Start | Run <type in> TweakUI.exe <enter>

    If so, goto mouse and turn off X-mouse

    Start | Run <type in> Main.cpl <enter> Might see if your mouse
    software has this feature as well.

    --

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
    , Sep 1, 2006
  7. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:41:19 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

    >> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:51:27 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
    >>
    >> How odd, you may want to help the other guy asking the same question the
    >> past few days and see if there are any replies.

    >Not so odd. I've been posting questions on this newsgroup for years and
    >have always gotten helpful responses. I posted the original of this
    >question a week or so ago and got ZERO responses, very unusual in my

    Maybe no one that may have read your post has an answer.

    >experience. It occurred to me that since I'd been having problems with my
    >newsreader that perhaps my original hadn't actually gone out to the broader
    >readership. So I posted it again under a new subject line in order to make

    As long as you don't use X-No-Archive: Yes then look for the posts using

    >certain it was a new thread. Once again, ZERO response. As the question

    Then saying so will help a bit, you must have seen the other times posts
    are repeated and repeated.

    >did not seem the sort to utterly stymie the entire readership of this ng, I
    >was puzzled. Then it occurred to me that the subject line of both posts had
    >begun with a letter far down in the alphabet, and that perhaps readers
    >simply weren't reading that far down the list of subject lines (my

    Yuck, sorting by subject, try threaded date and marking old posts as
    read when collecting new posts helps much more.

    >newsreader currently shows 74,650 posts in this newsgroup, and I don't
    >remotely ever get all the way through the list). So I thought I would try

    Mark the old posts read. There can be between 7000 - 14000 posts in
    24HSHD each month.

    >one more time, this time posting with a subject line aimed at the beginning
    >of the alphabet.

    Didn't help, made no difference.

    >Finally, thank God, I got a response. Yours.

    More like wondering if you were going to stop due to the non responses
    to your problem.

    BTW have never seen anything like it, the original query.

    Me
    why?, Sep 1, 2006
  8. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    "James Padolsey" <> wrote in message
    >i cannot think of anything in XP that would induce such a phenomenon,
    > maybe a piece of 3rd party software or a virus has something to do with
    > it... It is very strange. Good luck with figuring it out.
    >
    > TIP: every time something that seems unresolvable happens to my
    > computer i just install windows again and its gone... try it.

    I've been tempted to do so a time or two, but have always worried
    (needlessly?) that I would lose valuable personal settings. And of course,
    compu-dilettante that I am, I'm not sure I know how to do it in the first
    place.

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006
  9. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    > On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:41:19 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
    >

    >>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:51:27 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
    >>>
    >>> How odd, you may want to help the other guy asking the same question the
    >>> past few days and see if there are any replies.

    >>Not so odd. I've been posting questions on this newsgroup for years and
    >>have always gotten helpful responses. I posted the original of this
    >>question a week or so ago and got ZERO responses, very unusual in my

    > Maybe no one that may have read your post has an answer.
    >
    >>experience. It occurred to me that since I'd been having problems with my
    >>newsreader that perhaps my original hadn't actually gone out to the
    >>broader
    >>readership. So I posted it again under a new subject line in order to
    >>make

    > As long as you don't use X-No-Archive: Yes then look for the posts using
    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
    >
    >>certain it was a new thread. Once again, ZERO response. As the question

    > Then saying so will help a bit, you must have seen the other times posts
    > are repeated and repeated.
    >
    >>did not seem the sort to utterly stymie the entire readership of this ng,
    >>was puzzled. Then it occurred to me that the subject line of both posts
    >>had
    >>begun with a letter far down in the alphabet, and that perhaps readers
    >>simply weren't reading that far down the list of subject lines (my

    > Yuck, sorting by subject, try threaded date and marking old posts as
    > read when collecting new posts helps much more.
    >
    >>newsreader currently shows 74,650 posts in this newsgroup, and I don't
    >>remotely ever get all the way through the list). So I thought I would try

    > Mark the old posts read. There can be between 7000 - 14000 posts in
    > 24HSHD each month.
    >
    >>one more time, this time posting with a subject line aimed at the
    >>beginning
    >>of the alphabet.

    > Didn't help, made no difference.
    >
    >>Finally, thank God, I got a response. Yours.

    > More like wondering if you were going to stop due to the non responses
    > to your problem.
    >
    > BTW have never seen anything like it, the original query.

    Thanks.

    I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.
    Especially since in the past I've posted, got no response, reposted under a
    different subject line and gotten a dozen or more responses. I figure that
    every once in a while the first one slips through a crack. From now on,
    I'll give up immediately.

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006
  10. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Jim Beaver" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website link,
    >>or on a
    >>different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
    >>change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight out
    >>of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE
    >>looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail folder, for
    >>example,
    >>the screen will switch to my open browser window or to an open
    >>application.
    >>It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
    >>
    >>It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
    >>would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why
    >>would
    >>anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different
    >>window
    >>than the one you're using?

    > Do you have Tweak UI installed?
    > Start | Run <type in> TweakUI.exe <enter>

    It appears that I do not have this installed. Is it something I would
    advantageously have?

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006
  11. Jim Beaver

    Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> "Jim Beaver" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website link,
    >>>or on a
    >>>different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
    >>>change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight out
    >>>of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE
    >>>looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail folder, for
    >>>example,
    >>>the screen will switch to my open browser window or to an open
    >>>application.
    >>>It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
    >>>
    >>>It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
    >>>would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why
    >>>would
    >>>anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different
    >>>window
    >>>than the one you're using?

    >> Do you have Tweak UI installed?
    >> Start | Run <type in> TweakUI.exe <enter>

    >It appears that I do not have this installed. Is it something I would
    >advantageously have?

    Only if you like your programs window coming in focus (come up front)
    when your mouse touches any part of it.

    "Where normal mouse control uses single-click for selection and
    double-click to open/edit/etc, the xmouse system automatically selects
    objects after hovering the mouse over the object for a certain period
    of time (often one second)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmouse

    --

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
    , Sep 1, 2006
  12. Jim Beaver

    John Dean Guest

    Jim Beaver wrote:
    > Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website
    > link, or on a
    > different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort
    > of change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about
    > eight out of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If
    > I'm in OE looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail
    > folder, for example, the screen will switch to my open browser window
    > or to an open application. It happens with ANY window, application,
    > or file.

    Don't have an answer, but I was recently recommended to http://aumha.org/ as
    a good resource for Windows problems. Haven't had chance to explore it yet
    but maybe what you want is there.
    Alternatively, try one of the MS XP specific NGs - something in the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp ... hierarchy.
    BTW, have you checked the advanced options in IE Tools? I note there's one
    there entitled "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts." Dunno what it does,
    but maybe it does what's happening by you.
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, Sep 2, 2006
  13. Jim Beaver

    cuntbubble Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message

    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:41:19 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
    >>

    >>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>>Not so odd. I've been posting questions on this newsgroup for years and
    >>>have always gotten helpful responses. I posted the original of this
    >>>question a week or so ago and got ZERO responses, very unusual in my

    >> Maybe no one that may have read your post has an answer.
    >>
    >>>experience. It occurred to me that since I'd been having problems with
    >>>my
    >>>newsreader that perhaps my original hadn't actually gone out to the
    >>>broader
    >>>readership. So I posted it again under a new subject line in order to
    >>>make

    >> As long as you don't use X-No-Archive: Yes then look for the posts using
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
    >>
    >>>certain it was a new thread. Once again, ZERO response. As the question

    >> Then saying so will help a bit, you must have seen the other times posts
    >> are repeated and repeated.
    >>
    >>>did not seem the sort to utterly stymie the entire readership of this ng,
    >>>was puzzled. Then it occurred to me that the subject line of both posts
    >>>had
    >>>begun with a letter far down in the alphabet, and that perhaps readers
    >>>simply weren't reading that far down the list of subject lines (my

    >> Yuck, sorting by subject, try threaded date and marking old posts as
    >> read when collecting new posts helps much more.
    >>
    >>>newsreader currently shows 74,650 posts in this newsgroup, and I don't
    >>>remotely ever get all the way through the list). So I thought I would
    >>>try

    >> Mark the old posts read. There can be between 7000 - 14000 posts in
    >> 24HSHD each month.
    >>
    >>>one more time, this time posting with a subject line aimed at the
    >>>beginning
    >>>of the alphabet.

    >> Didn't help, made no difference.
    >>
    >>>Finally, thank God, I got a response. Yours.

    >> More like wondering if you were going to stop due to the non responses
    >> to your problem.
    >>
    >> BTW have never seen anything like it, the original query.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.
    > Especially since in the past I've posted, got no response, reposted under
    > a different subject line and gotten a dozen or more responses. I figure
    > that every once in a while the first one slips through a crack. From now
    > on, I'll give up immediately.

    Meh - just give up feeding the troles.
    cuntbubble, Sep 2, 2006
  14. Jim Beaver

    Fred Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message
    > Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website link,
    > or on a
    > different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
    > change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight out
    > of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE
    > looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail folder, for
    > example,
    > the screen will switch to my open browser window or to an open
    > application. It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
    >
    > It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
    > would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why
    > would
    > anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different
    > window
    > than the one you're using?
    >
    > Ideas?

    Maybe you have installed a program that is conflicting with your system.
    Wild guess ctfmon
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599/en-us
    Fred, Sep 2, 2006
  15. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message
    >> Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website
    >> link, or on a
    >> different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
    >> change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight
    >> out
    >> of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE
    >> looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail folder, for
    >> example,
    >> the screen will switch to my open browser window or to an open
    >> application. It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
    >>
    >> It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
    >> would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why
    >> would
    >> anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different
    >> window
    >> than the one you're using?
    >>
    >> Ideas?

    > Maybe you have installed a program that is conflicting with your system.
    > Wild guess ctfmon

    I'll give these suggestions a try. Thanks for all the help. I guess third
    time was the charm, after all.

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Sep 2, 2006
  16. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:36:32 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

    Look at the end for the non <snipped> include all of the previous text
    and bottom post.

    >> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:41:19 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
    >>

    >>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>>Not so odd. I've been posting questions on this newsgroup for years and
    >>>have always gotten helpful responses. I posted the original of this
    >>>question a week or so ago and got ZERO responses, very unusual in my

    >> Maybe no one that may have read your post has an answer.

    <snip>

    >>>one more time, this time posting with a subject line aimed at the
    >>>beginning
    >>>of the alphabet.

    >> Didn't help, made no difference.

    <snip>

    >I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.

    Who said that?

    >Especially since in the past I've posted, got no response, reposted under a
    >different subject line and gotten a dozen or more responses. I figure that
    >every once in a while the first one slips through a crack. From now on,
    >I'll give up immediately.

    Oh go on then. All you had to do was say you had a problem posting, or
    maybe you couldn't see any replies. That gets more help than simply
    repeating the post several times.

    As you said you have been posting in this ng for years you must be aware
    of the many times it's thought of as a chat room and multiple posts per
    minute / day and repeating over the next few days. It's that which is
    annoying.

    >Jim Beaver

    Me
    why?, Sep 2, 2006
  17. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    >>I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.

    > Who said that?

    It's quite easily inferred.

    At any rate, I'm sorry if it pissed you off, and if it didn't piss you off,
    I'm delighted. As to me, I finally got helpful answers with this version of
    my question, and no one else complained, so perhaps it wasn't a complete
    train wreck.

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Sep 2, 2006
  18. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:26:51 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

    >>>I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.

    >> Who said that?

    >It's quite easily inferred.
    >
    >At any rate, I'm sorry if it pissed you off, and if it didn't piss you off,
    >I'm delighted. As to me, I finally got helpful answers with this version of

    Neither of the above.

    >my question, and no one else complained, so perhaps it wasn't a complete

    So which answer worked, that's usually more important than suggestions.
    More so if you post back than it can be found again if needed.

    >train wreck.
    >
    >Jim Beaver

    Me
    why?, Sep 3, 2006
  19. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:39:30 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> "Jim Beaver" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website link,
    >>>or on a
    >>>different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
    >>>change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight out
    >>>of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE

    <snip>

    >>>It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
    >>>
    >>>It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
    >>>would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why
    >>>would
    >>>anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different
    >>>window
    >>>than the one you're using?

    >> Do you have Tweak UI installed?
    >> Start | Run <type in> TweakUI.exe <enter>

    >It appears that I do not have this installed. Is it something I would
    >advantageously have?

    No, it's likely to cause you more confusion :)

    I like it because I used to work a lot on Unix Workstations,

    why?, Sep 3, 2006
  20. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    > So which answer worked, that's usually more important than suggestions.
    > More so if you post back than it can be found again if needed.

    Unfortunately, now, none of the suggestions has worked. As it turns out,
    the possible problem areas pointed out to me involved applications or
    functions that I don't have on my computer, and thus they could not be the
    cause. For the time being it appears I'm stuck with having my windows
    switch willy-nilly whenever I load a new page into a current window.

    Maybe I'll post the question again under a new subject line.

    Just kidding.
    Jim Beaver, Sep 3, 2006