A+ Passed - My Experience

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Lardy, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. Lardy

    Lardy Guest

    Hi,

    A+ Operating Systems Technologies - 757
    A+ Core Hardware - 804

    I have just passed both A+ Exams and thought I would pass on my experience.

    I have been repairing friends and friends of friends computers for about
    eighteen months, as well as setting up my own small three computer network
    at home with a router to share the DSL connection. I used Mike Meyers' -
    All-in-One A+ Certification Exam Guide (5th Edition), as my study tool. I
    found that I had learned a lot of A+ from my practical experience and the
    book filled in any details or gaps (SCSI drives and any hardware pre-2000).
    I found the practice exams on the CD good but recommend also using these
    sites...

    http://certification.about.com/gi/d...tion&zu=http://www.passitnow.com/comptia.html

    http://www.mcmcse.com/forums/exams/

    http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/prepare.aspx

    Both exams are 90mins in duration with 80 questions. My time management
    plan was as follows...
    1st 30mins - Questions 1-40 (Marking any answers I was unsure about for
    review)
    2nd 30mins - Questions 41-80 (Marking any answers I was unsure about for
    review)
    3rd 30mins - Going through the answers marked for review

    The pre test conditions state something along the lines that; not all
    questions will be counted towards your score as they are testing questions
    for future exams.

    At the end of the exam your score is given instantly, but unfortunately
    there is no chance to review the questions with all correct answers given.
    This is a pity.

    I can remember two questions (I will remember them as best I can) that I had
    trouble with, and am still not sure what the answers are...

    A+ Operating Systems Technologies
    --------------------
    Q. What is the minimum service pack required on a Windows NT workstation to
    upgrade to Windows 2000?

    A - SP3
    B - SP4
    C - SP5
    D - SP6

    A+ Core Hardware
    --------------------
    Q. You are upgrading a motherboard that supports two CPU's but only has one
    currently installed. What are two considerations that must be taken into
    account when adding a 2nd CPU? (Select TWO)

    A - The 2nd CPU must be faster than the 1st
    B - The 2nd CPU must be the same speed as the 1st
    C - The 2nd CPU must be slower than the 1st
    D - CPU's must have identical stepping
    E - CPU's must have identical L1 cache

    I hope I have answered any questions that any potential test takers have,
    and if anyone knows the answers to the above two questions or can provide a
    relevant URL that would be great.

    Lardy
    Lardy, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Lardy

    dlite Guest

    thanks muchly.  i found the information useful.  congratulations and good luck!
    dlite, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Lardy

    ... Guest

    Hi

    > C - SP5 (I think)

    And I think for a dual CPU system both must be the same speed and the
    same amount of L1 cache...as far as I understand stepping is like the
    revision of the CPU and hence shouldnt make a difference.

    ..., May 4, 2005
  4. Lardy

    rymercho Guest

    Lardy,

    I am coming up to doing mu A+ cert, I think I'll wing it just about
    DOS command is a good tip to revise I have heard that a few places.

    The answers for the questions I am not too sure. The first one I would
    have thought would be NT 4.0 service pack 6. This was the last
    revision of NT (I am sure there was a 6a). So with complete guess
    work I would say that Pack 6 has the was the closest match and the
    obvioous upgarde path?

    The dual proc question is one a I do know the answer to. They must be
    the sam speed and the both must be the same stepping. The this is
    definately the case with Inel CPU's. I think the stepping categorise
    voltages and how the CPU works threading etc. Intel does not advise
    mised steppings although some families are tested and are compatible.
    There are tables to show supported steppings.

    I have a mixed stepping that isn't supported in my NT 4.0 SP6 Box and
    it hasn't melted, YET!!!

    Just though you may like to know the answer to one of the Q's at
    least.

    Chris
    rymercho, May 10, 2005
  5. Lardy

    Dave Guest

    Hi Chris,

    Just passed the O/S part so now I'm A+.

    Thanks to all you guys for your help in this.

    Some post testing thoughts:
    1. Not too much on DOS commands. Just know the commands from Recovery
    Console (p762 in Meyers v5) and also
    XCOPY. Also with XCOPY, know /S and /E params.

    2. As for NT 4.0, SP6 is latest, but SP4 is important too. It's the minimum
    you need to upgrade to Win2K. I believe that's because it ups the file
    system to NTFS 5, since NTFS 4 won't work w Win2K or XP.

    I wish you the best of luck,

    Dave

    Dave, May 15, 2005