    I used my PartitionMagic [ver8.1] to access the drive and it shows it to be a FAT32, which is what I had it set as. However, even PartitionMagic is unable to do anything with the drive such as resize, move, etc.

    I have used Norton disk doctor and the VCOM systemSuite5 diskfix but neither can access the drive/partition.

    Everything shows the drive/partition is there but can not be recognized. Any one got any ideas about how I can either get windows to recognize the drive or at least recover all my data.
    Jer, Jan 4, 2004

  2. I have a friend with a similar problem and she has a program which can read
    her lost drive. Right now I don't know what it is called but I believe it
    can also copy the data to another drive. I thought you might like to hear
    that there may be some hope. When I can I will ask her what it is called and
    let you know unfortunately she is still asleep right now but I am helping
    her to recover her data at present.

    I recommend a DVD drive for doing backups. I bought one with a good software
    package including Nero 5.5 for £110 the other day. It took me 15 mins to
    burn 4.5 Gb of data at 4X speed onto a DVD yesterday and was so much easier
    than using a CDRW because I didn't have to be too picky about what I backed
    up I just did almost everything. The model is an MSI DR8-A and does up to 8X
    DVD writing. I am forced to backup everything so I can reinstall Windows as
    my graphics drivers are screwed up and I need to fdisk the hard drive.
    Seemingly Windows needs to be reinstalled roughly once a year to keep it
    from getting too messed up, at least Win 98 SE does.

    You could try restoring the registry to one that was working before you had
    your problem as Windows tends to make backup copies and store them. The
    program in earlier versions of Windows is called Scanreg restore. I am not
    familiar with XP Pro but do a Google search and you will get the answer.
    HTH.

    "Jer" <> wrote in message
    Several months ago I used PartitionMagic to partition my hard drive and
    created a partition I was using for data storage. And it has worked fine.
    Yesterday my OS [using WindowsXP Pro] can not recall the data. The drive
    still shows in my drive map in several different programs, but when I click
    on the drive letter I get a message to the effect that the drive does not
    contain a recognized file system. At each reboot the system tries to perform
    a scandisk but it will stop and I get a message to the effect the specified
    drive appears to be a non-windows disk. Using a bootable A drive disk in DOS
    the drive does not show up at all.

    Bryan Henderson, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Jer

    Jer Guest

    Thanks,

    I have a DVD burner which I use for backup on RW disks. I have been very lax
    in the last rew months and havenot backed up that drive, as it was only data
    and not systems. Lucky for me all my holiday pics are on a different drive!

    Let me know if she has the name of the program. It does appear that I may be
    able to re-format that drive/partition and recover the drive at least, but
    of course I'll lose all the data, which I would like to sve if possible.
    Most of it I can recover from other sources, but it would be nice to recover
    all of it at once rather than search other PC's and sources.

    Jer, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Jer

    Trax Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 01:56:06 GMT, Abrigon Gusiq <> wrote:

    |>If you can find a old copy of Norton DISKEDIT, it might be able to help.

    I would of mentioned this, but you need a hard drive sector list (or whatever
    it's called):

    StartingOffset PartitionLength StartingSector PartitionNumber
    * 32256 2146765824 63 1
    2146830336 2146765824 63 2
    4293628416 2146765824 63 3
    blah blah blah

    To be able to use DiskEdit and rebuild a/the partitions. I find it unlikely most
    would have this available to them.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life
    Trax, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Jer

    SgtMinor Guest

    > Jer wrote:
    >
    > Several months ago I used PartitionMagic to partition my hard drive
    > and created a partition I was using for data storage. And it has
    > worked fine. Yesterday my OS [using WindowsXP Pro] can not recall the
    > data. The drive still shows in my drive map in several different
    > programs, but when I click on the drive letter I get a message to the
    > effect that the drive does not contain a recognized file system. At
    > each reboot the system tries to perform a scandisk but it will stop
    > and I get a message to the effect the specified drive appears to be a
    > non-windows disk. Using a bootable A drive disk in DOS the drive does
    > not show up at all.
    >
    > I used my PartitionMagic [ver8.1] to access the drive and it shows it
    > to be a FAT32, which is what I had it set as. However, even
    > PartitionMagic is unable to do anything with the drive such as resize,
    > move, etc.
    >
    > I have used Norton disk doctor and the VCOM systemSuite5 diskfix but
    > neither can access the drive/partition.
    >
    > Everything shows the drive/partition is there but can not be
    > recognized. Any one got any ideas about how I can either get windows
    > to recognize the drive or at least recover all my data.

    Try these two programs to see what they can do for you:

    Active@, worked great for me:
    http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm You can download a free
    demo which will show you what can be recovered. If you like what you
    see, pay the $29 for the full version.

    PCinspector, freeware, no personal experience:
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

    Good to see that, in your follow-up to a response, you turned off the
    HTML!
    SgtMinor, Jan 4, 2004
  6. "Jer" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks,
    >
    > I have a DVD burner which I use for backup on RW disks. I have been very

    lax
    > in the last rew months and havenot backed up that drive, as it was only

    data
    > and not systems. Lucky for me all my holiday pics are on a different

    drive!

    > Let me know if she has the name of the program. It does appear that I may

    be
    > able to re-format that drive/partition and recover the drive at least, but
    > of course I'll lose all the data, which I would like to sve if possible.
    > Most of it I can recover from other sources, but it would be nice to

    recover
    > all of it at once rather than search other PC's and sources.

    I spoke to my friend and she says she has a demo version of Easy Recovery
    Pro or something like that. I haven't yet searched for a link to this yet as
    I am having probs of my own to sort out!! She also thinks Partition Magic is
    fairly state of the art although it sounds as if you have tried this and not
    found it useful.

    Bryan Henderson, Jan 4, 2004
  7. If you can find a old copy of Norton DISKEDIT, it might be able to help.

    Abrigon Gusiq, Jan 5, 2004
  8. How large of HD can you back up on a DVD/RW?

    From my experiance, I often have to redo Win98 like once a month, but yes,
    reinstall atleast once a year is a good one..

    I need to get a new HD and do my partitions better, smaller for sure.

    Mike

    Abrigon Gusiq, Jan 5, 2004
  9. Does the HD be recognized by FDISK

    If so, it might still be there, just the driver or what is damaged, or
    the master book is corrupted or .. not sure..

    Diskedit (old norton util), might be able to find and revive lost
    partitions..

    Mike

    Abrigon Gusiq, Jan 5, 2004
  10. Jer