A NS puzzle:)

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Brad Snow, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. Brad Snow

    Brad Snow Guest

    In case you have an idea, Otherwise, having exhausted alternatives
    (no, not NS $39.99 CS offer!:):

    When I (a) try to access NS mail to read messages or send, or
    (b) try to mail a contact-us/email link on a website (which brings up
    a NS mail
    out-message form), I get asked for a Mail Server PW for name:
    BgfknrckSn.

    I don't know this strange string. No idea whence it came or any PW
    for it. I never set it up, and I don't think it has anything to do
    with "settings".

    I get asked for this PW when I try to send, or check mail. I was
    directed to a NS Help forum, secnews.netscape.com-Netscape 7, from
    http://ilias.ca/, but this forum also asked me for the PW for
    BgfknrckSn before I could even get in to ask about this very problem!!

    The biggest annoyance is trying to mail a website link in Netscape,
    which brings up your message form, then requires this unknown PW to
    send the message.

    Note:I haven't found an option to pick a default mail program (other
    than Netscape Mail) for such cases in NS. I have IE set to use Eudora,
    which is also on this computer, and there is not this problem using IE
    (i.e. no PW required). But I prefer NS, if we can fix this problem.

    How can I get answer or help?

    Brad
    Brad Snow, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Brad Snow

    Moz Champion Guest

    Brad Snow wrote:

    > In case you have an idea, Otherwise, having exhausted alternatives
    > (no, not NS $39.99 CS offer!:):
    >

    > When I (a) try to access NS mail to read messages or send, or
    > (b) try to mail a contact-us/email link on a website (which brings up
    > a NS mail
    > out-message form), I get asked for a Mail Server PW for name:
    > BgfknrckSn.
    >
    > I don't know this strange string. No idea whence it came or any PW
    > for it. I never set it up, and I don't think it has anything to do
    > with "settings".
    >
    > I get asked for this PW when I try to send, or check mail. I was
    > directed to a NS Help forum, secnews.netscape.com-Netscape 7, from
    > http://ilias.ca/, but this forum also asked me for the PW for
    > BgfknrckSn before I could even get in to ask about this very problem!!
    >
    > The biggest annoyance is trying to mail a website link in Netscape,
    > which brings up your message form, then requires this unknown PW to
    > send the message.
    >
    > Note:I haven't found an option to pick a default mail program (other
    > than Netscape Mail) for such cases in NS. I have IE set to use Eudora,
    > which is also on this computer, and there is not this problem using IE
    > (i.e. no PW required). But I prefer NS, if we can fix this problem.
    >
    > How can I get answer or help?
    >
    > Brad

    have you checked your computer for viruses and backdoor programs recently?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Sep 1, 2004

  3. Brad Snow

    Andreas Guest

    Brad Snow wrote:

    > In case you have an idea, Otherwise, having exhausted alternatives
    > (no, not NS $39.99 CS offer!:):
    >

    > When I (a) try to access NS mail to read messages or send, or
    > (b) try to mail a contact-us/email link on a website (which brings up
    > a NS mail
    > out-message form), I get asked for a Mail Server PW for name:
    > BgfknrckSn.
    >
    > I don't know this strange string. No idea whence it came or any PW
    > for it. I never set it up, and I don't think it has anything to do
    > with "settings".
    >
    > I get asked for this PW when I try to send, or check mail. I was
    > directed to a NS Help forum, secnews.netscape.com-Netscape 7, from
    > http://ilias.ca/, but this forum also asked me for the PW for
    > BgfknrckSn before I could even get in to ask about this very problem!!
    >
    > The biggest annoyance is trying to mail a website link in Netscape,
    > which brings up your message form, then requires this unknown PW to
    > send the message.
    >
    > Note:I haven't found an option to pick a default mail program (other
    > than Netscape Mail) for such cases in NS. I have IE set to use Eudora,
    > which is also on this computer, and there is not this problem using IE
    > (i.e. no PW required). But I prefer NS, if we can fix this problem.
    >
    > How can I get answer or help?
    >
    > Brad

    Open your Password Manager, Tools, Password Manager, Manage Stored
    Passwords, under the Passwords Saved tab, try and look for something
    regarding that password, and remove it.

    Andreas

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
    Andreas, Sep 1, 2004
  4. Brad Snow

    Brad Snow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:34:33 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >Brad Snow wrote:
    >
    >> In case you have an idea, Otherwise, having exhausted alternatives
    >> (no, not NS $39.99 CS offer!:):
    >>

    >> When I (a) try to access NS mail to read messages or send, or
    >> (b) try to mail a contact-us/email link on a website (which brings up
    >> a NS mail
    >> out-message form), I get asked for a Mail Server PW for name:
    >> BgfknrckSn.
    >>
    >> I don't know this strange string. No idea whence it came or any PW
    >> for it. I never set it up, and I don't think it has anything to do
    >> with "settings".
    >>
    >> I get asked for this PW when I try to send, or check mail. I was
    >> directed to a NS Help forum, secnews.netscape.com-Netscape 7, from
    >> http://ilias.ca/, but this forum also asked me for the PW for
    >> BgfknrckSn before I could even get in to ask about this very problem!!
    >>
    >> The biggest annoyance is trying to mail a website link in Netscape,
    >> which brings up your message form, then requires this unknown PW to
    >> send the message.
    >>
    >> Note:I haven't found an option to pick a default mail program (other
    >> than Netscape Mail) for such cases in NS. I have IE set to use Eudora,
    >> which is also on this computer, and there is not this problem using IE
    >> (i.e. no PW required). But I prefer NS, if we can fix this problem.
    >>
    >> How can I get answer or help?
    >>
    >> Brad
    >>

    >have you checked your computer for viruses and backdoor programs recently?

    McAfee subscriber, and I occasionally, or when advised to, run a
    scan. What else can I do?

    Brad
    Brad Snow, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Brad Snow

    Brad Snow Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:45:39 -0700, Andreas
    <> wrote:

    >Brad Snow wrote:
    >
    >> In case you have an idea, Otherwise, having exhausted alternatives
    >> (no, not NS $39.99 CS offer!:):
    >>

    >> When I (a) try to access NS mail to read messages or send, or
    >> (b) try to mail a contact-us/email link on a website (which brings up
    >> a NS mail
    >> out-message form), I get asked for a Mail Server PW for name:
    >> BgfknrckSn.
    >>
    >> I don't know this strange string. No idea whence it came or any PW
    >> for it. I never set it up, and I don't think it has anything to do
    >> with "settings".
    >>
    >> I get asked for this PW when I try to send, or check mail. I was
    >> directed to a NS Help forum, secnews.netscape.com-Netscape 7, from
    >> http://ilias.ca/, but this forum also asked me for the PW for
    >> BgfknrckSn before I could even get in to ask about this very problem!!
    >>
    >> The biggest annoyance is trying to mail a website link in Netscape,
    >> which brings up your message form, then requires this unknown PW to
    >> send the message.
    >>
    >> Note:I haven't found an option to pick a default mail program (other
    >> than Netscape Mail) for such cases in NS. I have IE set to use Eudora,
    >> which is also on this computer, and there is not this problem using IE
    >> (i.e. no PW required). But I prefer NS, if we can fix this problem.
    >>
    >> How can I get answer or help?
    >>
    >> Brad
    >>

    >Open your Password Manager, Tools, Password Manager, Manage Stored
    >Passwords, under the Passwords Saved tab, try and look for something
    >regarding that password, and remove it.
    >
    >Andreas

    Already done more than once. No such mention.

    Note I'm asked for a Mail Server PW, but I use Yahoo mail. I've never
    set up for Netscape mail or news.

    Brad
    Brad Snow, Sep 1, 2004
  6. Brad Snow

    Moz Champion Guest

    Brad Snow wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:34:33 GMT, Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Brad Snow wrote:
    >>

    >>>In case you have an idea, Otherwise, having exhausted alternatives
    >>>(no, not NS $39.99 CS offer!:):
    >>>

    >>> When I (a) try to access NS mail to read messages or send, or
    >>>(b) try to mail a contact-us/email link on a website (which brings up
    >>>a NS mail
    >>> out-message form), I get asked for a Mail Server PW for name:
    >>>BgfknrckSn.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know this strange string. No idea whence it came or any PW
    >>>for it. I never set it up, and I don't think it has anything to do
    >>>with "settings".
    >>>
    >>>I get asked for this PW when I try to send, or check mail. I was
    >>>directed to a NS Help forum, secnews.netscape.com-Netscape 7, from
    >>>http://ilias.ca/, but this forum also asked me for the PW for
    >>>BgfknrckSn before I could even get in to ask about this very problem!!
    >>>
    >>>The biggest annoyance is trying to mail a website link in Netscape,
    >>>which brings up your message form, then requires this unknown PW to
    >>>send the message.
    >>>
    >>>Note:I haven't found an option to pick a default mail program (other
    >>>than Netscape Mail) for such cases in NS. I have IE set to use Eudora,
    >>>which is also on this computer, and there is not this problem using IE
    >>>(i.e. no PW required). But I prefer NS, if we can fix this problem.
    >>>
    >>> How can I get answer or help?
    >>>
    >>> Brad
    >>>

    >>have you checked your computer for viruses and backdoor programs recently?

    > McAfee subscriber, and I occasionally, or when advised to, run a
    > scan. What else can I do?
    >
    > Brad

    Um, answer the question maybe? <g>

    Have you done a check for viruses and/or backdoor programs recently?

    There are scanning programs available to check for spyware and backdoor
    programs.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Brad Snow

    Gunther Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:45:39 -0700, Andreas
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Brad Snow wrote:
    > >
    > >> In case you have an idea, Otherwise, having exhausted alternatives
    > >> (no, not NS $39.99 CS offer!:):
    > >>

    > >> When I (a) try to access NS mail to read messages or send, or
    > >> (b) try to mail a contact-us/email link on a website (which brings up
    > >> a NS mail
    > >> out-message form), I get asked for a Mail Server PW for name:
    > >> BgfknrckSn.
    > >>
    > >> I don't know this strange string. No idea whence it came or any PW
    > >> for it. I never set it up, and I don't think it has anything to do
    > >> with "settings".
    > >>
    > >> I get asked for this PW when I try to send, or check mail. I was
    > >> directed to a NS Help forum, secnews.netscape.com-Netscape 7, from
    > >> http://ilias.ca/, but this forum also asked me for the PW for
    > >> BgfknrckSn before I could even get in to ask about this very problem!!
    > >>
    > >> The biggest annoyance is trying to mail a website link in Netscape,
    > >> which brings up your message form, then requires this unknown PW to
    > >> send the message.
    > >>
    > >> Note:I haven't found an option to pick a default mail program (other
    > >> than Netscape Mail) for such cases in NS. I have IE set to use Eudora,
    > >> which is also on this computer, and there is not this problem using IE
    > >> (i.e. no PW required). But I prefer NS, if we can fix this problem.
    > >>
    > >> How can I get answer or help?
    > >>
    > >> Brad
    > >>

    > >Open your Password Manager, Tools, Password Manager, Manage Stored
    > >Passwords, under the Passwords Saved tab, try and look for something
    > >regarding that password, and remove it.
    > >
    > >Andreas

    > Already done more than once. No such mention.
    >
    > Note I'm asked for a Mail Server PW, but I use Yahoo mail. I've never
    > set up for Netscape mail or news.
    >
    > Brad

    PMJI, but I seem to recall having this problem a long time ago.
    You're being prompted for the password for a userid you've never
    seen, right?

    Try creating a new profile and see if the problem happens when
    you use the new one. I suspect your old profile is too old....
    Gunther, Sep 3, 2004