    So, if you can make any suggestions, please do, I would appreciate it.
    :)
    , May 15, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I've recently found myself attracted to photography has a hobby. I
    > started taking photos, and after I took around a thousand or so shots,
    > I went through them all and picked which I thought were the nicest.
    >
    > You can see them here: http://www.dragotaur.com/photography/
    >
    > So, if you can make any suggestions, please do, I would appreciate it.

    My first and only tip so far: get rid of the flash based photo album.
    I'm not sure if it works with Firefox or not - I don't think it does,
    but it's so damn slow I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to finish
    sorting itself out.

    If you want your photographs to do the talking, let them. If you want to
    demonstrate your ability to choose a really crap way of displaying
    them, well, we're not interested.
    Derek Fountain, May 15, 2006

  3. Derek Fountain wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently found myself attracted to photography has a hobby. I
    >> started taking photos, and after I took around a thousand or so shots,
    >> I went through them all and picked which I thought were the nicest.
    >>
    >> You can see them here: http://www.dragotaur.com/photography/
    >>
    >> So, if you can make any suggestions, please do, I would appreciate it.

    > My first and only tip so far: get rid of the flash based photo album.
    > I'm not sure if it works with Firefox or not - I don't think it does,
    > but it's so damn slow I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to finish
    > sorting itself out.
    >
    > If you want your photographs to do the talking, let them. If you want to
    > demonstrate your ability to choose a really crap way of displaying
    > them, well, we're not interested.

    I am using Firefox and I could see and load the images fin.

    - NO PROBLEM -

    The responder above may have some "obstructions" running on his system
    that interfere with the display - spyware, etc.

    ============
    Here are my thoughts (from a long time amateur) Hope they help.

    I like many of the images, without discussing technical issues, but I do
    find them cold and unemotional. They don't "talk to me". They don't
    engage the viewer. As snapshots or tourist photos they are fine. The
    one that came closest to piquing my interest was the street scene with
    the street light and a small part of someone's shoulder in the right
    foreground. If that shoulder had been a bit bigger - we wonder "who is
    this person" "what are they doing" "where are they going" - The
    converging lines of direction also "pull us in" and we see two people
    walking toward us.

    A few other things - in the photo of the bridge. There is a high
    contrast reflection in the water that pulls the viewer's eye to that
    spot, so that competes with the main point of interest that should be
    the bridge disappearing into the distance. Also, no photos taken out of
    airplane or car windows should be shown to other people (just my pet peeve)

    BTW - I like your cartooning.

    --
    Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
    California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
    TheNewsGuy(Mike), May 15, 2006
  4. > The responder above may have some "obstructions" running on his system
    > that interfere with the display - spyware, etc.

    I doubt it, I run Linux.
    Derek Fountain, May 15, 2006
  5. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), May 15, 2006
  6. J. Clarke Guest

    Derek Fountain wrote:

    >> The responder above may have some "obstructions" running on his system
    >> that interfere with the display - spyware, etc.

    > I doubt it, I run Linux.

    FWIW, Firefox has trouble with it on my Linux box as well (same trouble it
    has with the Sony site near as I can tell) but Konqueror works fine.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, May 16, 2006
  7. Guest

    I understand your concern here: but in the years I've used
    SimpleViewer, I've never encountered a problem and you are the first
    voice of dissent towards the gallery I've seen. I DO have pure html
    versions up (you can add_html) to the index.html (index_html.html) to
    see it.

    I use FireFox myself, and it works fine. Tried it in IE6 and 7, as well
    as Maxthon, still fine.

    Is your Flash not out of date?

    As for your final line:

    "If you want to
    demonstrate your ability to choose a really crap way of displaying
    them, well, we're not interested. "

    I'm sure you don't speak for everyone here, when you say "we". ^^
    , May 16, 2006
  8. Guest

    Some wonderful suggestions, thank you. You have a wonderful way of
    viewing the photos, and I'll take that to heart.
    , May 16, 2006
  9. wrote:
    > I understand your concern here: but in the years I've used
    > SimpleViewer, I've never encountered a problem and you are the first
    > voice of dissent towards the gallery I've seen. I DO have pure html
    > versions up (you can add_html) to the index.html (index_html.html) to
    > see it.
    >
    > I use FireFox myself, and it works fine. Tried it in IE6 and 7, as well
    > as Maxthon, still fine.
    >
    > Is your Flash not out of date?

    I don't have any trouble with other flash sites... It's more likely to
    be a Javascript issue. Why not use something simpler? You asked for
    feedback and mine was genuine (if a bit terse): make it a simpler online
    delivery mechanism. If your images are any good you don't need the
    flash, and more people will be able to see your photos.

    > "If you want to
    > demonstrate your ability to choose a really crap way of displaying
    > them, well, we're not interested. "
    >
    > I'm sure you don't speak for everyone here, when you say "we". ^^

    Count the replies you've got to your request for feedback...
    Derek Fountain, May 16, 2006
  10. Stacey Guest

    wrote:

    > I've recently found myself attracted to photography has a hobby. I
    > started taking photos, and after I took around a thousand or so shots,
    > I went through them all and picked which I thought were the nicest.

    They look "oversharpened" or "Too digital"? It's like not enough contrast
    mixed with too much sharpening. Not sure what the -exact- problem is but
    it's too distracting to get past that part of the images to enjoy what
    might be there.

    Also the content isn't tight enough, you need to crop out the extraneous
    stuff to get the focus on the actual content. I like stuff shot tight. Just
    my opinion on what might improve your work. This "shooting loose" is a
    comon mistake. Here's an example of what I mean by shooting "tight".

    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/fly.jpg
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, May 17, 2006
  11. J. Clarke Guest

    Stacey wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently found myself attracted to photography has a hobby. I
    >> started taking photos, and after I took around a thousand or so shots,
    >> I went through them all and picked which I thought were the nicest.
    >>

    > They look "oversharpened" or "Too digital"? It's like not enough contrast
    > mixed with too much sharpening. Not sure what the -exact- problem is but
    > it's too distracting to get past that part of the images to enjoy what
    > might be there.
    >
    > Also the content isn't tight enough, you need to crop out the extraneous
    > stuff to get the focus on the actual content. I like stuff shot tight.
    > Just my opinion on what might improve your work. This "shooting loose" is
    > a comon mistake. Here's an example of what I mean by shooting "tight".
    >
    > http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/fly.jpg

    I am curioius--was the fly purely fortuitious or were there large numbers of
    them out that day so that you knew that eventually one would light in your
    field of view or did you spend a great deal of effort stalking him?

    J. Clarke, May 17, 2006
  12. Stacey Guest

    Stacey, May 18, 2006
  13. J. Clarke Guest

    Stacey wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >
    >> Stacey wrote:

    >>> http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/fly.jpg

    >> I am curioius--was the fly purely fortuitious

    > Yep. I was out shooting some flowers, had the frame composed and he simply
    > flew into place. Part of photography is luck, I was just there at the
    > right time.
    >
    > Now this guy I stalked..
    >
    > http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/wasp.jpg

    I like that. I hope some day I can learn to make shots like that happen.
    What were you using and how far away were you, if you don't mind my asking?
    And about what time of day? And from what direction was the light coming?

    J. Clarke, May 19, 2006