A nice portfolio of photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aniramca@gmail.com, Jan 2, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Photography is not about duels among cameras and equipment. I found
    this website by accident and I thought I like to share the site with
    the readers of these newsgroup. Someone else had mentioned about this
    site in alt.photography NG. However, I like to share it again, and
    credits are due to the photographer! From my opinion, the photographer
    is an excellent artist!
    http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=2231437&include=all
    The photos also show that there are other parts of this world, where
    kids do not need to have videos, TVs, ipods or xboxes to have fun.
     
    , Jan 2, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Scott W Guest

    On Jan 2, 8:32 am, wrote:
    > Photography is not about duels among cameras and equipment. I found
    > this website by accident and I thought I like to share the site with
    > the readers of these newsgroup. Someone else had mentioned about this
    > site in alt.photography NG. However, I like to share it again, and
    > credits are due to the photographer! From my opinion, the photographer
    > is an excellent artist!http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=2231437&include=all
    > The photos also show that there are other parts of this world, where
    > kids do not need to have videos, TVs, ipods or xboxes to have fun.


    They look more like Photoshop art work then photographs to me.

    Scott
     
    Scott W, Jan 2, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mr. Strat Guest

    In article
    <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Photography is not about duels among cameras and equipment. I found
    > this website by accident and I thought I like to share the site with
    > the readers of these newsgroup. Someone else had mentioned about this
    > site in alt.photography NG. However, I like to share it again, and
    > credits are due to the photographer! From my opinion, the photographer
    > is an excellent artist!
    > http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=2231437&include=all
    > The photos also show that there are other parts of this world, where
    > kids do not need to have videos, TVs, ipods or xboxes to have fun.


    Oh, wonderful. Someone is proficient with PhotoShop.
     
    Mr. Strat, Jan 2, 2008
    #3
  4. Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 2, 2:22 pm, "Mr. Strat" <> wrote:
    >
    > Oh, wonderful. Someone is proficient with PhotoShop.


    Whether they were done with Photoshop or Corel Painter matters not to
    me.
    The end result is what counts. No, it isn't a photo in the traditional
    sense and it certainly isn't "real" but then what photo is?
     
    Annika1980, Jan 2, 2008
    #4
  5. Scott W Guest

    On Jan 2, 10:20 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > On Jan 2, 2:22 pm, "Mr. Strat" <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Oh, wonderful. Someone is proficient with PhotoShop.

    >
    > Whether they were done with Photoshop or Corel Painter matters not to
    > me.
    > The end result is what counts. No, it isn't a photo in the traditional
    > sense and it certainly isn't "real" but then what photo is?


    It depends on what you are after, if you are trying to create an image
    out of your imagination then the photos are very good, they have a
    fairytale kind of feel to them. For me this is not what I am after, I
    try to capture the world around me as I see it. Because my camera
    does not see things the same way I do I will sometime edit a photo to
    better represent what I saw. In the end however what I am after is a
    photo that when I look at it I get the feel for what it was like to be
    there.

    Clearly the photos the OP posted a link to do not give a good feeling
    for what he saw when he took the photos, they really look far more
    like painting then photo, in many of them I think he should pop in a
    unicorn, it really would not look out of place.

    Scott
     
    Scott W, Jan 2, 2008
    #5
  6. Allen Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > On Jan 2, 10:20 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    >> On Jan 2, 2:22 pm, "Mr. Strat" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> Oh, wonderful. Someone is proficient with PhotoShop.

    >> Whether they were done with Photoshop or Corel Painter matters not to
    >> me.
    >> The end result is what counts. No, it isn't a photo in the traditional
    >> sense and it certainly isn't "real" but then what photo is?

    >
    > It depends on what you are after, if you are trying to create an image
    > out of your imagination then the photos are very good, they have a
    > fairytale kind of feel to them. For me this is not what I am after, I
    > try to capture the world around me as I see it. Because my camera
    > does not see things the same way I do I will sometime edit a photo to
    > better represent what I saw. In the end however what I am after is a
    > photo that when I look at it I get the feel for what it was like to be
    > there.
    >
    > Clearly the photos the OP posted a link to do not give a good feeling
    > for what he saw when he took the photos, they really look far more
    > like painting then photo, in many of them I think he should pop in a
    > unicorn, it really would not look out of place.
    >
    > Scott


    Are you sure that you know how he sees the world, or what he was feeling
    when he took these pictures? I certainly don't. I enjoyed looking at
    some of them, and when I have more time perhaps I will look at and enjoy
    more of them.
    Allen
     
    Allen, Jan 2, 2008
    #6
  7. Scott W Guest

    On Jan 2, 11:36 am, Allen <> wrote:
    > Scott W wrote:
    > > On Jan 2, 10:20 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > >> On Jan 2, 2:22 pm, "Mr. Strat" <> wrote:

    >
    > >>> Oh, wonderful. Someone is proficient with PhotoShop.
    > >> Whether they were done with Photoshop or Corel Painter matters not to
    > >> me.
    > >> The end result is what counts. No, it isn't a photo in the traditional
    > >> sense and it certainly isn't "real" but then what photo is?

    >
    > > It depends on what you are after, if you are trying to create an image
    > > out of your imagination then the photos are very good, they have a
    > > fairytale kind of feel to them. For me this is not what I am after, I
    > > try to capture the world around me as I see it. Because my camera
    > > does not see things the same way I do I will sometime edit a photo to
    > > better represent what I saw. In the end however what I am after is a
    > > photo that when I look at it I get the feel for what it was like to be
    > > there.

    >
    > > Clearly the photos the OP posted a link to do not give a good feeling
    > > for what he saw when he took the photos, they really look far more
    > > like painting then photo, in many of them I think he should pop in a
    > > unicorn, it really would not look out of place.

    >
    > > Scott

    >
    > Are you sure that you know how he sees the world, or what he was feeling
    > when he took these pictures? I certainly don't. I enjoyed looking at
    > some of them, and when I have more time perhaps I will look at and enjoy
    > more of them.
    > Allen



    That they are works of art there is no question, but I don't view them
    as photographs. To me a good photograph brings me to a place or event
    just by viewing the photograph. In viewing the photos the OP linked
    to I don't get the feeling I am seeing a real place, fine for fantasy
    art, but not what I am looking for in a photograph.

    This does not mean I don't think he images have value, I just don't
    think of them as photographs.

    I have the feeling that if you were to see the original photos that
    these are based on you might feel a bit cheated, kind of like a magic
    trick looses all appeal once you know how it was done.

    Scott
     
    Scott W, Jan 2, 2008
    #7
  8. DONOTREPLY Guest

    > > > I try to capture the world around me as I see it.

    exactly!

    > > > ... what I am after is a
    > > > photo that when I look at it I get the feel for what it was like to be
    > > > there.


    I have digitized a few thousand of those feelings..

    http://y23.com/pics/y23stockpic-free-fr-2jan08.html

    > To me a good photograph brings me to a place or event
    > just by viewing the photograph.


    or a selection of different photographs, presented in a way
    where you can QUICKLY see a selection... even on a slow
    internet connection ... so I had to create my own way to
    exhibit a gallery.

    have a look: http://y23.com/pics/y23stockpic-free-fr-2jan08.html
    .... criticism welcome.
     
    DONOTREPLY, Jan 3, 2008
    #8
  9. Phil Guest

    On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, Scott W <> wrote:
    > On Jan 2, 11:36 am, Allen <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Scott W wrote:
    > > > On Jan 2, 10:20 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > > >> On Jan 2, 2:22 pm, "Mr. Strat" <> wrote:

    >
    > > >>> Oh, wonderful. Someone is proficient with PhotoShop.
    > > >> Whether they were done with Photoshop or Corel Painter matters not to
    > > >> me.
    > > >> The end result is what counts. No, it isn't a photo in the traditional
    > > >> sense and it certainly isn't "real" but then what photo is?

    >
    > > > It depends on what you are after, if you are trying to create an image
    > > > out of your imagination then the photos are very good, they have a
    > > > fairytale kind of feel to them.  For me this is not what I am after, I
    > > > try to capture the world around me as I see it.  Because my camera
    > > > does not see things the same way I do I will sometime edit a photo to
    > > > better represent what I saw.  In the end however what I am after is a
    > > > photo that when I look at it I get the feel for what it was like to be
    > > > there.

    >
    > > > Clearly the photos the OP posted a link to do not give a good feeling
    > > > for what he saw when he took the photos, they really look far more
    > > > like painting then photo, in many of them I think he should pop in a
    > > > unicorn, it really would not look out of place.

    >
    > > > Scott

    >
    > > Are you sure that you know how he sees the world, or what he was feeling
    > > when he took these pictures? I certainly don't. I enjoyed looking at
    > > some of them, and when I have more time perhaps I will look at and enjoy
    > > more of them.
    > > Allen

    >
    > That they are works of art there is no question, but I don't view them
    > as photographs.  To me a good photograph brings me to a place or event
    > just by viewing the photograph.  In viewing the photos the OP linked
    > to I don't get the feeling I am seeing a real place, fine for fantasy
    > art, but not what I am looking for in a photograph.
    >
    > This does not mean I don't think he images have value, I just don't
    > think of them as photographs.
    >
    > I have the feeling that if you were to see the original photos that
    > these are based on you might feel a bit cheated, kind of like a magic
    > trick looses all appeal once you know how it was done.
    >
    > Scott


    For me a photograph should "speak" on a variety of levels. That is to
    say, the viewer gets from it what he brings to it. From the novice to
    the most sophisticated, and to those in between, the image should
    present/provide an effective experience for all levels. The images
    suggested in this post, for me, are one dimensional relative to their
    content. Much like a Rockwell painting, they smack more at
    illustration than art. Certainly the display of technique lends itself
    to evidence of an acute understanding of the craft/process of
    photoshop. But as a whole they are, to me, a bit too sentimental.
    In that light, Ansel Adams was certainly the preeminant darkroom
    maestro and applied his prowess to add power to his otherwise
    documentary images. Personally I'd much prefer too look at Mario
    Giocomelli, Clarence John Laughlin, Sebastiao Salgado or Eugene
    Richards to name just a few. Their images are powerful, haunting, as
    well as evocative.
     
    Phil, Jan 3, 2008
    #9
  10. Paul Furman Guest

    DONOTREPLY wrote:
    >>>> I try to capture the world around me as I see it.

    >
    > exactly!
    >
    >>>> ... what I am after is a
    >>>> photo that when I look at it I get the feel for what it was like to be
    >>>> there.

    >
    > I have digitized a few thousand of those feelings..
    >
    > http://y23.com/pics/y23stockpic-free-fr-2jan08.html
    >
    >> To me a good photograph brings me to a place or event
    >> just by viewing the photograph.

    >
    > or a selection of different photographs, presented in a way
    > where you can QUICKLY see a selection... even on a slow
    > internet connection ... so I had to create my own way to
    > exhibit a gallery.
    >
    > have a look: http://y23.com/pics/y23stockpic-free-fr-2jan08.html
    > ... criticism welcome.



    I get "Not Found" for every link... ?
     
    Paul Furman, Jan 3, 2008
    #10
  11. George Kerby Guest

    On 1/3/08 12:07 AM, in article
    UY_ej.33464$, "Paul Furman"
    <> wrote:

    > DONOTREPLY wrote:
    >>>>> I try to capture the world around me as I see it.

    >>
    >> exactly!
    >>
    >>>>> ... what I am after is a
    >>>>> photo that when I look at it I get the feel for what it was like to be
    >>>>> there.

    >>
    >> I have digitized a few thousand of those feelings..
    >>
    >> http://y23.com/pics/y23stockpic-free-fr-2jan08.html
    >>
    >>> To me a good photograph brings me to a place or event
    >>> just by viewing the photograph.

    >>
    >> or a selection of different photographs, presented in a way
    >> where you can QUICKLY see a selection... even on a slow
    >> internet connection ... so I had to create my own way to
    >> exhibit a gallery.
    >>
    >> have a look: http://y23.com/pics/y23stockpic-free-fr-2jan08.html
    >> ... criticism welcome.

    >
    >
    > I get "Not Found" for every link... ?

    Same here.
     
    George Kerby, Jan 3, 2008
    #11
  12. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Photography is not about duels among cameras and equipment. I found
    > this website by accident and I thought I like to share the site with
    > the readers of these newsgroup. Someone else had mentioned about this
    > site in alt.photography NG. However, I like to share it again, and
    > credits are due to the photographer! From my opinion, the photographer
    > is an excellent artist!
    > http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=2231437&include=all
    > The photos also show that there are other parts of this world, where
    > kids do not need to have videos, TVs, ipods or xboxes to have fun.
    >


    To me these photographs are rather pretty and idyllic and although they have
    been heavily manipulated still manage to show aspects of life of those in
    the photos. However, I think they are mainly aimed at showing the skill of
    the artist rather than depicting the reality that he sees. Both this rather
    subjective approach and the more objective documentary approach have their
    place in the history of painting as well as photography. Personally I
    prefer the latter.
     
    Roger Blackwell, Jan 3, 2008
    #12
  13. Allen Guest

    Phil wrote:
    <snip>
    >
    > For me a photograph should "speak" on a variety of levels. That is to
    > say, the viewer gets from it what he brings to it. From the novice to
    > the most sophisticated, and to those in between, the image should
    > present/provide an effective experience for all levels. The images
    > suggested in this post, for me, are one dimensional relative to their
    > content. Much like a Rockwell painting, they smack more at
    > illustration than art. Certainly the display of technique lends itself
    > to evidence of an acute understanding of the craft/process of
    > photoshop. But as a whole they are, to me, a bit too sentimental.
    > In that light, Ansel Adams was certainly the preeminant darkroom
    > maestro and applied his prowess to add power to his otherwise
    > documentary images. <snip>

    But Adams' images were in black and white. I wonder how those who are
    critical of the images under discussion can accept them as they
    certainly are of subjects that Adams and everyone else saw in full color.
    Allen
     
    Allen, Jan 3, 2008
    #13
  14. Peter Guest

    "Roger Blackwell" <> wrote in message
    news:477cdcf5$...
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Photography is not about duels among cameras and equipment. I found
    >> this website by accident and I thought I like to share the site with
    >> the readers of these newsgroup. Someone else had mentioned about this
    >> site in alt.photography NG. However, I like to share it again, and
    >> credits are due to the photographer! From my opinion, the photographer
    >> is an excellent artist!
    >> http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=2231437&include=all
    >> The photos also show that there are other parts of this world, where
    >> kids do not need to have videos, TVs, ipods or xboxes to have fun.
    >>

    >
    > To me these photographs are rather pretty and idyllic and although they
    > have
    > been heavily manipulated still manage to show aspects of life of those in
    > the photos. However, I think they are mainly aimed at showing the skill
    > of
    > the artist rather than depicting the reality that he sees. Both this
    > rather
    > subjective approach and the more objective documentary approach have their
    > place in the history of painting as well as photography. Personally I
    > prefer the latter.
    >

    It is difficult and unfair to criticize subjective taste and preferences. I
    may not want a particular piece hanging on my wall, but I appreciate other
    peoples POV.
    What I do not appreciate is the rigid application of "rules" as evidenced by
    camera clubs, or other groups. Just look at the variety of fine art
    appearing in museums.
    With the growth in such digital art programs as PS and Painter many of us
    who cannot draw the proverbial "straight line with a ruler" are now able to
    express and share their art.

    --
    Peter
     
    Peter, Jan 3, 2008
    #14
  15. Peter Guest

    "Mr. Strat" <> wrote in message
    news:020120081122182235%...
    > In article
    > <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Photography is not about duels among cameras and equipment. I found
    >> this website by accident and I thought I like to share the site with
    >> the readers of these newsgroup. Someone else had mentioned about this
    >> site in alt.photography NG. However, I like to share it again, and
    >> credits are due to the photographer! From my opinion, the photographer
    >> is an excellent artist!
    >> http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=2231437&include=all
    >> The photos also show that there are other parts of this world, where
    >> kids do not need to have videos, TVs, ipods or xboxes to have fun.

    >
    > Oh, wonderful. Someone is proficient with PhotoShop.



    Mere proficiency with Photoshop does not make one an artist. Neat
    handwriting does not make one a good writer.
    In both cases there must be something more. IMNVHO the link posted by the OP
    is to art, not realistic photography. that the art may have been achieved by
    using PS, is immatrial.


    --
    Peter
     
    Peter, Jan 3, 2008
    #15
  16. Marcin Guest

    Marcin, Jan 3, 2008
    #16
  17. Tedski Guest

    Google this: "define: maudlin"
    and you will get an apt description of those pictures.

    I was willing to acknowledge the artist's right to create whatever art
    he wished without necessarily criticizing him for it (in the same way
    I think Thomas Kincade is a skilled "painter" but not a great
    "artist"). But then I checked out the comments below the gallery and
    came across this exchange:

    ***

    Yereth Jansen, September 25, 2007; 04:51 A.M.

    Amazing photos! But what's your connection with Rarindra Prakarsa?
    Some photos are close to the same... interesting..

    ***

    AndRe Arment, September 25, 2007; 10:55 A.M.

    Hi Yereth Jansen, My conection with Rarindra...? Rarindra is My
    friend, some time we taken photos at the same place and the same
    time.
    There's no special technique, we just lucky here have good ligthing
    maybe ligthing like that only at tropical countries like Indonesia.

    ***

    Timothy Eberly, December 14, 2007; 11:44 P.M.

    HUH??
    You said, "There's no special technique, we just lucky here have good
    ligthing maybe ligthing like that only at tropical countries like
    Indonesia."

    Oh c'mon, do you really think we are that stupid?!? I like your work,
    but when you lie like that it makes me want to skip right on by and go
    to the next photographer.

    ***


    If you don't know what is meant by the Rarindra Prakarsa reference, he
    is another "photographer" with an identical (and I mean Identical with
    a capital I) style. Here are links to each page:

    Andre Arment: http://photo.net/photos/Andre Arment

    Rarindra Prakarsa: http://photo.net/photos/rarindra

    I have three words that sum up these pictures: Black velvet Elvis.

    Ted
     
    Tedski, Jan 4, 2008
    #17
  18. DONOTREPLY Guest

    DONOTREPLY, Jan 4, 2008
    #18
  19. Phil Guest

    On Jan 3, 10:20 am, Allen <> wrote:
    > Phil wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > For me a photograph should "speak" on a variety of levels. That is to
    > > say, the viewer gets from it what he brings to it. From the novice to
    > > the most sophisticated, and to those in between, the image should
    > > present/provide an effective experience for all levels. The images
    > > suggested in this post, for me, are one dimensional relative to their
    > > content. Much like a Rockwell painting, they smack more at
    > > illustration than art. Certainly the display of technique lends itself
    > > to evidence of an acute understanding of the craft/process of
    > > photoshop. But as a whole they are, to me, a bit too sentimental.
    > > In that light, Ansel Adams was certainly the preeminant darkroom
    > > maestro and applied his prowess to add power to his otherwise
    > > documentary images. <snip>

    >
    > But Adams' images were in black and white. I wonder how those who are
    > critical of the images under discussion can accept them as they
    > certainly are of subjects that Adams and everyone else saw in full color.
    > Allen


    Personally, I think Adams "saw" in black and white
     
    Phil, Jan 4, 2008
    #19
  20. Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 3, 8:39 pm, Tedski <> wrote:

    > I have three words that sum up these pictures: Black velvet Elvis.
    >


    Dogs playing poker.
     
    Annika1980, Jan 4, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andrew

    First 2 Weeks of Rebel 300D Portfolio

    Andrew, Oct 20, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    606
    Andrew
    Oct 22, 2003
  2. stefano
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    835
    The Black Sheep
    Jan 21, 2004
  3. Crownfield

    Re: Model Talent Search - Free Portfolio - NJ NY PA

    Crownfield, Feb 1, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    554
    Crownfield
    Feb 1, 2004
  4. PTRAVEL

    Question: Photographing a Portfolio

    PTRAVEL, May 18, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,210
    PTRAVEL
    May 19, 2004
  5. Henrik2000

    Portfolio 7: "Burn to CD" doesn't work ?

    Henrik2000, Jul 8, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    351
    Henrik2000
    Jul 8, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page