A nice picture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Herring, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Mark Herring

    Mark Herring Guest

    Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    Megapixels.

    http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469

    This is stitched from 8 separate shots using Max Lyons' "PTAssembler"
    front-end for Panotools. It was the ONLY software that would get the
    stitching right---I was leaning out of a hotel window and was lucky to
    get the shot at all---much less hold the camera level.

    Taken with a Canon A40 (2Mpixels) The full-resolution file prints
    nicely at 8" x 30"

    Thanks to the folks in this NG that put me on to PTAssembler:

    http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm

    -Mark
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Mark Herring

    Randy Rhine Guest

    VERY nice!!

    Thanks.

    Randy Rhine, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Mark Herring

    John Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:02:49 -0800, Mark Herring
    <> wrote:

    >Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    >Megapixels.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469
    >
    >This is stitched from 8 separate shots using Max Lyons' "PTAssembler"
    >front-end for Panotools. It was the ONLY software that would get the
    >stitching right---I was leaning out of a hotel window and was lucky to
    >get the shot at all---much less hold the camera level.
    >
    >Taken with a Canon A40 (2Mpixels) The full-resolution file prints
    >nicely at 8" x 30"
    >
    >Thanks to the folks in this NG that put me on to PTAssembler:
    >
    >http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm
    >
    >-Mark
    >**************************
    >Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    >Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Thanks for posting this. After you replied to my email with the
    separate pics that you used to assemble it and the final, I wanted to
    ask for a higher res copy of it, but didn't want to bother you more.
    :)

    Very sweet picture. Thanks for posting the link

    John

    John, Nov 19, 2003
  4. "Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    > Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    > Megapixels.

    How did you manage to keep the lines straight? When you turn the camera, the
    lines necessarily change direction. Was that the reason for the 8 shots?

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Nov 19, 2003
  5. According to Juan R. Pollo <>:
    > How did you manage to keep the lines straight? When you turn the
    > camera, the lines necessarily change direction. Was that the reason
    > for the 8 shots?

    Yeah, you want to keep the segments as thin (small) as possible to reduce the
    wide-angle distortion.

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net

    Ethan Trewhitt, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Mark Herring

    Mark Herring Guest

    >Thanks for posting this. After you replied to my email with the
    >separate pics that you used to assemble it and the final, I wanted to
    >ask for a higher res copy of it, but didn't want to bother you more.

    Highest resolution that I will let out of my house!!

    **************************

    Mark Herring, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Mark Herring

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 04:49:43 GMT, "Juan R. Pollo"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    >> Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    >> Megapixels.

    >How did you manage to keep the lines straight? When you turn the camera, the
    >lines necessarily change direction. Was that the reason for the 8 shots?
    >
    >Juan

    Not sure I understand----Panotools does not care which way the camera
    is turned---everything is done with control points. I put the camera
    vertical to get more pixels. 8 shots was probably overkill---I was
    just firing away, making sure I had overlap.

    -Mark

    **************************

    Mark Herring, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Mark Herring

    PhotoMan Guest

    > Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    > Megapixels.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469
    >
    > This is stitched from 8 separate shots using Max Lyons' "PTAssembler"
    > front-end for Panotools. It was the ONLY software that would get the
    > stitching right---I was leaning out of a hotel window and was lucky to
    > get the shot at all---much less hold the camera level.

    Quite good Mark! One question though. Sunrise at 3:35 AM?

    PhotoMan, Nov 19, 2003
  9. Mark Herring

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:16:17 -0600, "PhotoMan" <>
    wrote:

    >"Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    >> Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    >> Megapixels.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469
    >>
    >> This is stitched from 8 separate shots using Max Lyons' "PTAssembler"
    >> front-end for Panotools. It was the ONLY software that would get the
    >> stitching right---I was leaning out of a hotel window and was lucky to
    >> get the shot at all---much less hold the camera level.

    >Quite good Mark! One question though. Sunrise at 3:35 AM?

    7:17 AM......

    Through the miracles of sampling, resampling, and the sun angle, the
    big hand looks more like the little hand. (In the full-res file, I
    can just barely see which is which.

    They tell me that this clock is tied to an atomic clock. Plus, my
    $29.95 Timex was in moderate agreement......
    **************************

    Mark Herring, Nov 19, 2003
  10. Mark Herring

    Harry Da Hat Guest

    On 18-Nov-2003, Mark Herring <> wrote:

    > Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    > Megapixels.

    > Taken with a Canon A40 (2Mpixels) The full-resolution file prints
    > nicely at 8" x 30"

    That's a really nice 8x30 pic for 2Mp! I kind of wonder where that plays
    into the resolution at all with some of these cameras. My Fuji, which is
    rated at 4 something interpolated, 2 somethng real, comes out with pictures
    similar to this. I wonder why people find it hard to believe it.

    Harry

    --

    Fuji Cameras Make The Best Pets!!!!!!!!!!

    mailto:

    Harry Da Hat, Nov 19, 2003
  11. Mark Herring wrote:

    > Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    > Megapixels.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469
    >
    > This is stitched from 8 separate shots using Max Lyons' "PTAssembler"
    > front-end for Panotools. It was the ONLY software that would get the
    > stitching right---I was leaning out of a hotel window and was lucky to
    > get the shot at all---much less hold the camera level.

    PTAsm+PT _is_ a very nice combination.

    Great panorama!

    Terje

    --
    - <>

    Terje Mathisen, Nov 19, 2003
  12. Mark Herring

    Rich Guest

    mark - that's absolutely ace

    www.digitalmood.co.uk

    rich

    Rich, Nov 19, 2003
  13. Mark Herring

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:23:15 GMT, "Harry Da Hat"
    <> wrote:

    >On 18-Nov-2003, Mark Herring <> wrote:
    >
    >> Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    >> Megapixels.

    >> Taken with a Canon A40 (2Mpixels) The full-resolution file prints
    >> nicely at 8" x 30"

    >That's a really nice 8x30 pic for 2Mp! I kind of wonder where that plays
    >into the resolution at all with some of these cameras. My Fuji, which is
    >rated at 4 something interpolated, 2 somethng real, comes out with pictures
    >similar to this. I wonder why people find it hard to believe it.
    >
    >Harry

    8 Pictures stitched. The pano, before cropping, was 1830 x 6090. If
    I had not upsampled during cropping, the cropped size would have been
    around 1750 x N. Also, some scene detail was "created" around the
    edges.

    By private e-mail, I will send the original 8 pictures + notes on how
    this was done.

    -Mark
    **************************

    Mark Herring, Nov 19, 2003
  14. Mark Herring

    Bill M Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
    >Megapixels.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469

    Nice job and pic!

    Bill M, Nov 19, 2003
  15. "Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    > Not sure I understand----Panotools does not care which way the camera
    > is turned---everything is done with control points. I put the camera
    > vertical to get more pixels. 8 shots was probably overkill---I was
    > just firing away, making sure I had overlap.

    I think Ethan explained it, and you unwittingly hit on it. If you had done
    it horizontally, with 8 shots you probably would have gone a full 180
    degrees ;-) Thanks for the post.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Nov 19, 2003
  16. Jonathan Wilson, Nov 20, 2003