    need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
    see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
    language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

    georgia, Dec 21, 2004

  2. georgia wrote:

    > hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
    > a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
    > I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
    > in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
    > tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
    > need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
    > see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
    > language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

    I'm not a registered user, but my earlier version 7 of Redhat came with
    Mozilla and it's nearly identical to set up email on Linux and Windows.
    If it didn't come with Mozilla, you can download it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2004

  3. georgia wrote:

    > hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
    > a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
    > I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
    > in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
    > tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
    > need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
    > see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a

    I don't *see*, up there, anything about what email application you're
    trying to use. Did I just miss it? Didn't think so. How about
    something on what *is* happening when you try? Mmmmm?

    When you figure that out, you might want to drop in on a RH group...or
    news.software.readers. That one's a good group and has a Linux camp.
    But don't just post non-information like you did up above, or you won't
    get much help there, either. "Doc, I hurt." "Where?" "You tell me!"

    Meanwhile, setting up servers/user/password isn't really much different
    from the same process in Windows. Plug in the info and go.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 21, 2004
  4. georgia

    Parko Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:56:27 -0500, georgia wrote:

    > hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
    > a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
    > I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
    > in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
    > tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
    > need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
    > see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
    > language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

    OK, I assume you'll be using Evolution 1.xyz. Open it. Tools > Settings >
    Mail Accounts > Add. Then follow the bouncing ball. You'll need the
    address of your ISP's POP and SMTP servers, and your login details. That's
    it. BTW download Evolution 2.x it comes with SpamAssassin, very neat.
    Welcome to the world of Linux. One day you'll find yourself just not
    booting into Windows.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Dec 21, 2004
  5. georgia

    Parko Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:38:43 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:

    > georgia wrote:
    >
    >> hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
    >> a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
    >> I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
    >> in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
    >> tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
    >> need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
    >> see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
    >> language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

    > I'm not a registered user, but my earlier version 7 of Redhat came with
    > Mozilla and it's nearly identical to set up email on Linux and Windows.
    > If it didn't come with Mozilla, you can download it.

    I've got RH 5.2 lurking about somewhere...

    Parko, Dec 21, 2004
  6. georgia

    psion Guest

    georgia wrote:

    > hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
    > a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
    > I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
    > in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
    > tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
    > need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
    > see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
    > language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

    You'll have to follow step by step instructions like in Outlook, whenver
    you open an email program in Linux. A first time wizard should pop up.

    psion

    psion, Dec 22, 2004
  7. georgia wrote:

    > hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it
    > about a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot
    > about it. I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I
    > stuck the disks in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single
    > hitch. that is until I tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working
    > on that but I really need some help.I'm hoping that one of those
    > registered linux users that I see here periodically will volunteer to
    > explain the process to me in a language I can understand. TIA

    There are any number of clients available and it's really an embarrassment
    of riches sorting out which one appeals to you. Try going to
    http://linuxquestions.org and poking around there.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Dec 23, 2004