A new way of looking at files (Future windows/file explorer ?) "Tag" based file browsing...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Feb 22, 2010.

  1. Hello,

    Sometimes files/folder belong to different categories at the same, for
    example: "graphics related", "music related", "programming related", "math
    related".

    Currently windows requires me to put the file in folders, this creates a
    "static" view of the situation. In reality I like placing all the
    files/folder in one big folder so I can "easily" find everything.

    However when the number of files reaches thousands or ten thousands it
    becomes a bit harder to "sift" through it... I have no real way of
    "filtering out" unwanted files, or "filtering/zoom into the files I wanna
    see".

    So I recommend a new way of looking at files in the file system:

    The user receives the ability to "tag" files. Which means the user can now
    start adding "tags" to files.

    So for example:
    MyGameSource.cpp tags: "c++", "game development", "graphics", "game engine",
    whatever.

    Then the next time I want to "sift" through my files... for example I want
    to see all "graphics" related files...

    So then I type the "tag" search term into the windows explorer like so:

    Graphics

    The future windows/file explorer should filter out all other files which are
    not graphics related.

    Another example:

    tag: "redcode" ;)

    Search: "redcode"

    All files related to redcode are shown...

    This could be done for the current folder, there should also be an option
    which says: "Search subfolders as well" and display those results as well !
    ;)

    Let's call this new idea: "Tag" based file browsing ? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck :)

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 22, 2010

  2. "Art Overby" <> wrote in message

    >> Let's call this new idea: "Tag" based file browsing ? ;)
    >>
    >> Bye,
    >> Skybuck :)

    > http://code.google.com/p/tagfilesystem/

    I think best solution for windows would be to extend the ntfs file system
    with tag support.

    Each file/folder gets a special stream attach to it which can contain tags.

    Then all that's needed is some extra interface work, some extra api work so
    that the user can add, and search/filter on the tags.

    So the main idea is to extend what is already there, so the user can keep
    working they way he/she is used to but can try out the new tag/search/view
    feature as well ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 24, 2010

  3. Anyway for people wanting to try it out in an implementation, maybe the
    filedisk tool/technology/source code would be a good start...

    What would be missing is api or maybe there is an api for extensions, and
    the windows explorer would have to be re-done or extended...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 24, 2010
  4. "Art Overby" <> wrote in message
    > Then let's NOT call this a new idea.

    It depends on the implementation, different implementations are thinkable.

    I am for extending the current ntfs file system, not replacing it ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 24, 2010
  5. Skybuck Flying

    MitchAlsup Guest

    Re: A new way of looking at files (Future windows/file explorer ?)"Tag" based file browsing...

    I want to understand what this proposal does that:

    // This is tag <blah> placed in the file

    And liberal use of 'grep "<blah>" * */* ' does not do?

    MitchAlsup, Feb 25, 2010
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Feb 25, 4:55 pm, MitchAlsup <> wrote:
    > I want to understand what this proposal does that:
    >
    > // This is tag <blah> placed in the file
    >
    > And liberal use of 'grep  "<blah>" * */* ' does not do?

    Skybuck doesn't know about Cygwin?

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Feb 26, 2010