A new version of Zone Alarm (v4.5.530.0) released that calls home!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Unfortunately they have removed the manual update option, and it will call
    home every time you logon to see if there is an update available.....

    However the manual option is easily turned back on with the following reg
    hack....

    ===========
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8538052~root=security,1~mode=flat~start=120

    Close ZoneAlarm.

    Open your registry editor. (Start, Run, type regedit Click Ok.)

    Go to the following key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm

    In the right pane, you will see CfgMain, double click that.

    Use your keyboard's Down arrow key to move the cursor down until you reach
    0028.

    On line #6 (0028), press the Right arrow key 5 times, then hit Backspace
    once.

    After you completed the step above, type 00 (zero-zero) on your keyboard.

    [You need to replace the '01' in line #6 with '00']

    Then click OK.

    Restart ZoneAlarm
    =============

    Zone Alarm would not restart on my system after I had done this, but on
    rebooting the manual 'check for update' option was available again....

    Dont forget to ** Export (backup) the Zone Alarm Registry Key to your backup
    location before making the change. **

    They tried this 'trick' once before and had to reverse it due to 'public
    opinion.' Looks like they might have to reverse this bad decision once
    again.

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at: