A new Macrovision free US player.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jimmy Phillips, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. I had to replace both of our DVD players (along with a bunch of other
    stuff) because of a direct lighting strike. I don't do anything fancy so
    basic players do fine for us.

    I went to Walmart and got a pair of Phillips DVP642's - ordinary DVD
    players I thought.

    I have been transfering my very extensive stash of VCR tapes to DVD by
    playing them into an ATI All in Wonder card. The problem with that is
    that the built-in Macrovision detection in the ATI card will trash any VCR
    recording that is not about perfect - it assumes that an imperfect signal
    is an attempt to record a copywrited video stream. So I run the signal
    through an MV remover that is between the recorder and the PC.

    Any original recording from VCR or DVD without the MV remover will be
    detected and locked out by the card. So as I was watching a DVD movie on
    my newly reconstituted setup, I happened to flip on the PC. The movie
    was playing on my monitor and my MV remover was still on the floor and not
    hooked up. THAT was interesting! I thought that I had gotten a new DVD
    without copy protect. But...

    Some extensive experimenting shows that these DVD players are totally
    Macrovision and DeCSS free. They will feed a VCR direct and the playback
    is perfect.

    I don't copy DVDs - if I have the DVD why make another and I am certainly
    not going to transfer DVD to inferior VCR - that would be dumb. But I
    have a friend who does and he hot footed down to the store and got one
    and it is also MV free.

    I am pretty sure the law wasn't changed - Hollywood has much better
    successes at buying Senators than tech companies.

    So, my question after the long story is, what happened?

    1. Some Phillips plant didn't follow instructions?
    2. These were made for South America (or somewhere) and got transfered to
    the US by mistake? I know that you can get any number of protection free
    electronics from below the border.
    3. Whatever?

    Jimmy Phillips

    Jimmy Phillips, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Jimmy Phillips

    3W Guest

    "Jimmy Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > So, my question after the long story is, what happened?
    >
    > 1. Some Phillips plant didn't follow instructions?
    > 2. These were made for South America (or somewhere) and got transfered to
    > the US by mistake? I know that you can get any number of protection free
    > electronics from below the border.
    > 3. Whatever?

    It's 3.

    3W, Jul 24, 2004

  3. Jimmy Phillips

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Go to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

    One of the posters said the unit is macrovision free right out of the box. Do
    you know if it can play DVD-R's or DVD-RW's? I wish they'd make players that
    play all DVD's.

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Jul 26, 2004