    my old HD for storage.

    I assume to start I would install my new HD as the slave, then copy all the
    stuff to it and then make the new HD the master and the old HD the slave.
    Jer, Nov 26, 2005

  2. Jer

    Trax Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote:

    |>I want to purchase a new larger hard drive. I would like to use the new HD
    |>as my "C" drive, however, I would like to avoid the format, reinstall of the
    |>OS (using WinXP Pro) and all my programs.
    |>
    |>Is there, and if so, whatis the best way to copy/move everything from the
    |>olad HD to the new HD so I can use the new HD as my "C"/bootable drive and
    |>my old HD for storage.
    |>
    |>I assume to start I would install my new HD as the slave, then copy all the
    |>stuff to it and then make the new HD the master and the old HD the slave.

    Search this group
    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?hl=en
    for more information on your quest.

    Also download Ultimate Boot Cd - and create a boot CD
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    It's got the tools you need.

    --
    Service call? Talk to a human...
    http://paulenglish.com/ivr/
    Trax, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Jer

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote:

    >I want to purchase a new larger hard drive. I would like to use the new HD
    >as my "C" drive, however, I would like to avoid the format, reinstall of the
    >OS (using WinXP Pro) and all my programs.
    >
    >Is there, and if so, whatis the best way to copy/move everything from the
    >olad HD to the new HD so I can use the new HD as my "C"/bootable drive and
    >my old HD for storage.
    >
    >I assume to start I would install my new HD as the slave, then copy all the
    >stuff to it and then make the new HD the master and the old HD the slave.

    Often a new hard drive will come with a CD that includes a disk
    cloning utility. If not then the hard drive manufacturer's have these
    utilities available for free download from their web sites.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    Ron Martell, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Jer

    Plato Guest

    Jer wrote:

    > I want to purchase a new larger hard drive. I would like to use the new HD
    > as my "C" drive, however, I would like to avoid the format, reinstall of the
    > OS (using WinXP Pro) and all my programs.
    >
    > Is there, and if so, whatis the best way to copy/move everything from the
    > olad HD to the new HD so I can use the new HD as my "C"/bootable drive and
    > my old HD for storage.

    One can try:
    http://www.xxclone.com/

    --