A New Deserter from the HD-DVD Camp: Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Oct 8, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Allan, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Kimba W. Lion, Oct 8, 2005

  3. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 10/7/2005 8:24:58 PM, Kimba W. Lion wrote:

    > Allan <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-New-Deserter-in-the-HD-DVD-Camp-Warner-Bros-10076.shtml

    > So, apparently the movie studios have no faith at all in the rumor that
    > there will be a dual-format player.

    I don't see the logic. Just because there's a dual-format player doesn't
    mean that's what everyone is going to be using. Most players will only
    support one format, at least at first.
    --
    "This is Klahn's bodyguard - he is tough and ruthless.
    This is Klahn's chauffeur - he is rough and toothless."

    Now playing: the radio.

    Tarkus, Oct 8, 2005
  4. Allan

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Oct 8, 2005
  5. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 10/8/2005 10:51:31 AM, Rich wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:35:39 -0400, Allan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-New-Deserter-in-the-HD-DVD-Camp-Warner-Bros-10076.shtml

    > Everyone looking for an angle to overcharge consumers for the new
    > format. "B-but it costs more to produce!"

    What does it even mean to "overcharge"? They're businesses, not
    non-profit organizations. They can charge what they want. Supply and
    demand will take care of the rest.
    --
    "You tell him I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me!"

    Now playing: the radio.

    Tarkus, Oct 8, 2005
  6. Tarkus <> wrote:

    >> So, apparently the movie studios have no faith at all in the rumor that
    >> there will be a dual-format player.

    >I don't see the logic. Just because there's a dual-format player doesn't
    >mean that's what everyone is going to be using. Most players will only
    >support one format, at least at first.

    The logic behind the dual-format player is reduced risk to the consumer. If
    the ivory-tower types want to take their format wars to the marketplace, the
    only logical path for one who wants to buy into the embattled formats would
    be to take neither side over the other. If most players support only one
    format, then buying a player means risking being stuck with an obsolete
    player if the other format wins the market war.

    If the studios see the need for double-inventorying everything--something
    the retailers will hate with a passion--then they must not foresee any
    dual-format players making it to market. Which means it will make the most
    sense for consumers to not buy into the new formats.

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 9, 2005
  7. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Kimba W. Lion" <> wrote in message
    > Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    >>> So, apparently the movie studios have no faith at all in the rumor that
    >>> there will be a dual-format player.

    >>I don't see the logic. Just because there's a dual-format player doesn't
    >>mean that's what everyone is going to be using. Most players will only
    >>support one format, at least at first.

    > The logic behind the dual-format player is reduced risk to the consumer.
    > If
    > the ivory-tower types want to take their format wars to the marketplace,
    > the
    > only logical path for one who wants to buy into the embattled formats
    > would
    > be to take neither side over the other. If most players support only one
    > format, then buying a player means risking being stuck with an obsolete
    > player if the other format wins the market war.
    >
    > If the studios see the need for double-inventorying everything--something
    > the retailers will hate with a passion--then they must not foresee any
    > dual-format players making it to market. Which means it will make the most
    > sense for consumers to not buy into the new formats.

    Although a dual format player has been proposed/announced, there is *no*
    player actually working. Vaporware.

    Alpha, Oct 9, 2005
  8. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 10/8/2005 4:36:56 PM, Kimba W. Lion wrote:

    > If the studios see the need for double-inventorying
    > everything--something the retailers will hate with a passion--then
    > they must not foresee any dual-format players making it to market.

    No, what it means is that they know that MOST players will not be
    dual-format. "Any" dual-format players won't do them much good. There
    would have to be significant market penetration of those types of
    players.
    --
    "Trying is the first step towards failure."

    Now playing: the radio.

    Tarkus, Oct 9, 2005
  9. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:53:39 -0700, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >Although a dual format player has been proposed/announced, there is *no*
    >player actually working. Vaporware.

    Well that kinda happens with "new" machines.

    Guess it is the same with XBOX 360.... "proposed/announced" but damn,
    no machine we can actually buy today. "Vaporware."

    You were wrong, time to move on.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 9, 2005
  10. Allan

    Frank Sereno Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:53:39 -0700, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Although a dual format player has been proposed/announced, there is *no*
    >>player actually working. Vaporware.
    >>

    > Well that kinda happens with "new" machines.
    >
    > Guess it is the same with XBOX 360.... "proposed/announced" but damn,
    > no machine we can actually buy today. "Vaporware."
    >
    > You were wrong, time to move on.

    That something has been announced does not mean that it will ever be
    available for purchase. I owned Atari computers back in the day and
    that company announced dozens of products that never got beyond the
    mockup or prototype stage, but they were announced at CES and other
    trade shows.

    There are any number of reasons that an announced product will never be
    available to the public. It may turn out that market studies proved
    that the product wouldn't sell. Or it could be that the costs of
    producing the item would make it unsalable. It could also be that the
    item proves technologically incapable of being produced efficiently or
    simply cannot be made to function as announced. Or negotiations to
    purchase certain components fail.

    With the dual format HD DVD player, it could simply be that one format
    itself never makes it to the marketplace. So don't count your chickens
    before they are hatched.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

    Frank Sereno, Oct 9, 2005
  11. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 09:37:35 GMT, Frank Sereno
    <> wrote:

    >> Well that kinda happens with "new" machines.
    >>
    >> Guess it is the same with XBOX 360.... "proposed/announced" but damn,
    >> no machine we can actually buy today. "Vaporware."
    >>
    >> You were wrong, time to move on.
    >>

    >That something has been announced does not mean that it will ever be
    >available for purchase. I owned Atari computers back in the day and
    >that company announced dozens of products that never got beyond the
    >mockup or prototype stage, but they were announced at CES and other
    >trade shows.

    Ok... since Atari announced something back in the day that never got
    released we should distrust every "pre-release" that we read from a
    major supplier?

    Ah, no.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 10, 2005
  12. Allan <> wrote:

    >Ok... since Atari announced something back in the day that never got
    >released we should distrust every "pre-release" that we read from a
    >major supplier?

    No, you should distrust every news release because every company has proved
    to be untrustworthy. The product does not exist until it exists. Before
    that, they can say anything they want. (And even after it exists, in the
    case of Microsoft.)

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 10, 2005
  13. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:42:16 -0400, Kimba W. Lion <>
    wrote:

    >Allan <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ok... since Atari announced something back in the day that never got
    >>released we should distrust every "pre-release" that we read from a
    >>major supplier?

    >No, you should distrust every news release because every company has proved
    >to be untrustworthy. The product does not exist until it exists.

    So the XBOX 360 does not exist then?

    Playstation 3?

    "every company has proved to be untrustworthy."

    Every company? Come on.... The BS is starting to flow heavy....

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 12, 2005
  14. Allan <> wrote:

    >So the XBOX 360 does not exist then?

    Amazon.com: "Availability: This item is currently not available."

    >Playstation 3?

    ecrater.com: "no such product" (after following a link that said they were
    offering it)

    I wasn't aware either one offered a dual-format HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive.

    >>"every company has proved to be untrustworthy."

    >Every company? Come on.... The BS is starting to flow heavy....

    I'll stand by distrusting every company, and you be trusting, and we'll see
    who does better.

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 12, 2005
  15. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 07:47:06 -0400, Kimba W. Lion <>
    wrote:

    >>>"every company has proved to be untrustworthy."

    >>Every company? Come on.... The BS is starting to flow heavy....

    >I'll stand by distrusting every company, and you be trusting, and we'll see
    >who does better.

    I think that is obvious already.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 12, 2005