    anyone got their first IT job this way? Can anyone suggest a less expensive
    way to enter the IT industry?
    Thanks.
    M, Jun 6, 2004

  2. M

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, M says...
    > I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a first
    > position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    > http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed job for a
    > fee of £ 4,000.00! I accept that good training costs money but this does
    > seem a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Has
    > anyone got their first IT job this way? Can anyone suggest a less expensive
    > way to enter the IT industry?

    How can they possibly guarantee you a job? That's a ludicrous claim.
    Do they refund your fee if you're not working within a certain period?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel, Jun 6, 2004

  3. M

    Jackie Guest

    "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, M says...
    > > I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a

    first
    > > position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    > > http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed job

    for a
    > > fee of £ 4,000.00! I accept that good training costs money but this

    does
    > > seem a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

    Has
    > > anyone got their first IT job this way? Can anyone suggest a less

    expensive
    > > way to enter the IT industry?

    Do what I did, go to college get an HNC then HND in computing, then go on
    the dole then end up working in a shop for £4.50 an hour. If you've got
    £4000 put in in a high interest account, you will earn more money.
    Jackie, Jun 6, 2004
  4. M

    Kenny Guest

    I've done Cisco CCNA, Comp TIA A+, Web Pro (includes Visual Basic,
    Photoshop, Flash, Prosoft CIW, HTML & Dreamweaver) all through EEC funded
    courses. None of it cost me a penny, I even got meals and transport paid
    for.
    I still haven't got a job, not through lack of trying!

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jun 6, 2004
  5. M

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 22:01:19 +0100, M wrote:

    >I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a first
    >position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    >http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed job for a
    >fee of £ 4,000.00! I accept that good training costs money but this does

    A guaranteed job, sounds a bit odd.

    The course details aren't detailed
    http://www.cercotraining.co.uk/course.html
    the quotes are their own people.

    Compare costs / course content to other suppliers
    http://www.learningtree.co.uk/

    from Google,
    http://www.google.com/search?q=uk it training center

    >seem a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Has
    >anyone got their first IT job this way? Can anyone suggest a less expensive
    >way to enter the IT industry?

    Depending on what you want to do, Get 2 or 3 PCs together at home using
    different OS. Learn how things work.

    There is the MCSE track, among others like MCP
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.asp
    Linux RHCE
    http://www.redhat.com/training/
    Cisco , Networking
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html
    A+,
    http://www.comptia.org/
    and others

    Don't know if the ECDL stuff is any good or not,
    http://www.ecdl.com/
    (One thing they fail very badly at is an inaccessable website, with
    JavaScript blocked by my firewall the page is blank, the links to
    continue are in the scripted section)

    Check local college / university for evening classes.

    All of the above have sets of books and study guides, try a few book
    shops / library.

    Most will cost near your 4000 figure for several topics IIRC Learning
    Tree are around 1000 each for the 2/3 days single topic.

    Me
    why?, Jun 6, 2004
  6. M

    Bryan Guest

    Hywel wrote:
    > In article <>, M says...
    >> I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a
    >> first position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    >> http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed
    >> job for a fee of £ 4,000.00! I accept that good training costs
    >> money but this does seem a bit steep. Does anyone have any
    >> experience with this company? Has anyone got their first IT job
    >> this way? Can anyone suggest a less expensive way to enter the IT
    >> industry?

    > How can they possibly guarantee you a job? That's a ludicrous claim.
    > Do they refund your fee if you're not working within a certain period?

    Yes :)
    Bryan, Jun 6, 2004
  7. M

    Bryan Guest

    M wrote:
    > I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a
    > first position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    > http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed
    > job for a fee of £ 4,000.00! I accept that good training costs money
    > but this does seem a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with
    > this company? Has anyone got their first IT job this way? Can
    > anyone suggest a less expensive way to enter the IT industry?
    > Thanks.

    So ... How much do you think you'll earn in your first year?
    I'll tell you. £14 - £16k pa
    Can you live on that?
    7 years ago, when I took that course, I managed to acquire a job on the
    first day after course end. Then the wages were about 1 1/2 * what they are
    now!
    Since the downturn in the industry there are still many experienced FSE out
    of work, or just doing temp contract work, and with all these "young" folk
    wanting to join the industry, because they think it's an easy life, ...

    I, like many others, was laid off. So, tiring after many small contracts, I
    decided to return to my original trade.
    If you want a trade which, will pay well, be a secure job and you can travel
    the world with, join the building industry.
    I jest not! Electricians, plumbers and brickies are wanted the world over.
    They are screaming for them in Spain, Portugal, Germany and all much better
    paid than a first year IT Engineer.
    HTH
    Bryan
    --
    ignore the Computeach adds on TV!
    Bryan, Jun 7, 2004
  8. M

    Martik Guest

    "Bryan" <> wrote in message
    >M wrote:
    >> I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a
    >> first position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    >> http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed
    >> job for a fee of £ 4,000.00! I accept that good training costs money
    >> but this does seem a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with
    >> this company? Has anyone got their first IT job this way? Can
    >> anyone suggest a less expensive way to enter the IT industry?
    >> Thanks.

    > So ... How much do you think you'll earn in your first year?
    > I'll tell you. £14 - £16k pa
    > Can you live on that?
    > 7 years ago, when I took that course, I managed to acquire a job on the
    > first day after course end. Then the wages were about 1 1/2 * what they
    > are now!
    > Since the downturn in the industry there are still many experienced FSE
    > out of work, or just doing temp contract work, and with all these "young"
    > folk wanting to join the industry, because they think it's an easy life,
    >
    > I, like many others, was laid off. So, tiring after many small contracts,
    > I decided to return to my original trade.
    > If you want a trade which, will pay well, be a secure job and you can
    > travel the world with, join the building industry.
    > I jest not! Electricians, plumbers and brickies are wanted the world over.
    > They are screaming for them in Spain, Portugal, Germany and all much
    > better paid than a first year IT Engineer.
    > HTH
    > Bryan
    > --
    > ignore the Computeach adds on TV!

    Yes, trades, we are begging for them here in Vancouver BC Canada (2010
    Olympics)
    Martik, Jun 7, 2004
  9. M

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:29:22 +0100, "Bryan" <>
    scribbled:

    >Since the downturn in the industry there are still many experienced FSE out
    >of work, or just doing temp contract work, and with all these "young" folk
    >wanting to join the industry, because they think it's an easy life, ...

    A few months ago I saw a job listing that was for an ENTRY LEVEL
    position, account maintenance (create account, move account to group,
    repeat until bored to tears), workstation setup (insert CD, wait, repeat
    until bored to tears) and some level 1 tech support (dear gods, no!) and
    the education REQUIREMENT for this entry level job... a Bachelors in
    Computer Sciences.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jun 7, 2004
  10. M

    Bryan Guest

    -= Hawk =- wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:29:22 +0100, "Bryan" <>
    > scribbled:
    >
    >> Since the downturn in the industry there are still many experienced
    >> FSE out of work, or just doing temp contract work, and with all
    >> these "young" folk wanting to join the industry, because they think
    >> it's an easy life, ...

    > A few months ago I saw a job listing that was for an ENTRY LEVEL
    > position, account maintenance (create account, move account to group,
    > repeat until bored to tears), workstation setup (insert CD, wait,
    > repeat until bored to tears) and some level 1 tech support (dear
    > gods, no!) and the education REQUIREMENT for this entry level job...
    > a Bachelors in Computer Sciences.

    JHC! Some of those guys couldn't format a floppy!
    ;)
    Bryan, Jun 7, 2004
  11. M

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, Jackie says...

    > "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, M says...
    > > > I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a

    > first
    > > > position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    > > > http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed job

    > for a
    > > > fee of £ 4,000.00! I accept that good training costs money but this

    > does
    > > > seem a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

    > Has
    > > > anyone got their first IT job this way? Can anyone suggest a less

    > expensive
    > > > way to enter the IT industry?

    > Do what I did, go to college get an HNC then HND in computing, then go on
    > the dole then end up working in a shop for £4.50 an hour. If you've got
    > £4000 put in in a high interest account, you will earn more money.

    The HND isn't worth anything anymore, though. It wasn't taken
    particularly seriously in 1994. It's a surprise that you did HNC and
    HND - HND then degree would have been better.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel, Jun 7, 2004
  12. M

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 01:52:49 GMT, -= Hawk =- wrote:

    >On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:29:22 +0100, "Bryan" <>
    >scribbled:
    >
    >>Since the downturn in the industry there are still many experienced FSE out
    >>of work, or just doing temp contract work, and with all these "young" folk
    >>wanting to join the industry, because they think it's an easy life, ...

    >A few months ago I saw a job listing that was for an ENTRY LEVEL
    >position, account maintenance (create account, move account to group,
    >repeat until bored to tears), workstation setup (insert CD, wait, repeat
    >until bored to tears) and some level 1 tech support (dear gods, no!) and
    >the education REQUIREMENT for this entry level job... a Bachelors in
    >Computer Sciences.

    Don't have one of those, just an unused Physics version :)

    Too right, when I was doing my HND 1988 it was all that was needed for
    an IT job, during the last year 1989 it changed to no BSc no job, so I
    stayed on another year. During that time, BSc nice but what experience
    do you have. The required qualifications went up, the lack of experience
    (which I didn't suffer from) became more important.

    Now I spend more time answering questions (often the same ones every few
    months) from other people. The few qualifications scattered around don't
    matter it's the lack of practical problem solving skill and more often
    than not a narrow view of it's not in my job spec, I don't understand,
    how dows this work???? Argh!!!!

    Me
    why?, Jun 7, 2004
  13. M

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 06:47:27 GMT, why?
    <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> scribbled:

    >On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 01:52:49 GMT, -= Hawk =- wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:29:22 +0100, "Bryan" <>
    >>scribbled:
    >>
    >>>Since the downturn in the industry there are still many experienced FSE out
    >>>of work, or just doing temp contract work, and with all these "young" folk
    >>>wanting to join the industry, because they think it's an easy life, ...

    >>A few months ago I saw a job listing that was for an ENTRY LEVEL
    >>position, account maintenance (create account, move account to group,
    >>repeat until bored to tears), workstation setup (insert CD, wait, repeat
    >>until bored to tears) and some level 1 tech support (dear gods, no!) and
    >>the education REQUIREMENT for this entry level job... a Bachelors in
    >>Computer Sciences.

    >Don't have one of those, just an unused Physics version :)
    >
    >Too right, when I was doing my HND 1988 it was all that was needed for
    >an IT job, during the last year 1989 it changed to no BSc no job, so I
    >stayed on another year. During that time, BSc nice but what experience
    >do you have. The required qualifications went up, the lack of experience
    >(which I didn't suffer from) became more important.

    I think the hardest part for me to swallow is the four year degree for
    an entry level position. I can't imagine spending four years in school
    to do a job they used to hire monkeys to do 5 years ago.

    >Now I spend more time answering questions (often the same ones every few
    >months) from other people. The few qualifications scattered around don't
    >matter it's the lack of practical problem solving skill and more often
    >than not a narrow view of it's not in my job spec, I don't understand,
    >how dows this work???? Argh!!!!

    If I knew, I'd be rich :)

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jun 7, 2004
  14. -= Hawk =- wrote:

    > I think the hardest part for me to swallow is the four year degree for
    > an entry level position. I can't imagine spending four years in school
    > to do a job they used to hire monkeys to do 5 years ago.

    Well, crap! If I'd have known that, I'd be rich today -- I'd have
    raised monkeys, and pimp...er...hired them out.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 7, 2004
  15. M

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On 7 Jun 2004 07:48:10 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    scribbled:

    >-= Hawk =- wrote:
    >
    >> I think the hardest part for me to swallow is the four year degree for
    >> an entry level position. I can't imagine spending four years in school
    >> to do a job they used to hire monkeys to do 5 years ago.

    >Well, crap! If I'd have known that, I'd be rich today -- I'd have
    >raised monkeys, and pimp...er...hired them out.

    I had friends who raised monkeys, they aren't the most pleasant of
    animals at times. There's nothing as amusing as a pissed off capuchin
    hanging from the ceiling fan and flinging shit at anything that moves..

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jun 7, 2004
  16. -= Hawk =- wrote:

    > On 7 Jun 2004 07:48:10 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > scribbled:

    >>-= Hawk =- wrote:

    >>> I think the hardest part for me to swallow is the four year degree for
    >>> an entry level position. I can't imagine spending four years in school
    >>> to do a job they used to hire monkeys to do 5 years ago.

    >>Well, crap! If I'd have known that, I'd be rich today -- I'd have
    >>raised monkeys, and pimp...er...hired them out.

    > I had friends who raised monkeys, they aren't the most pleasant of
    > animals at times. There's nothing as amusing as a pissed off capuchin
    > hanging from the ceiling fan and flinging shit at anything that moves..

    This is probably why they don't hire them for IT positions any more,
    like they did 5 years ago. (And why my get-rich-quick scheme would've
    had to have a get-in-quickly/get-out-equally-quickly nature.)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 7, 2004
  17. M

    nut Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > M wrote:
    >> I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a
    >> first position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    >> http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed
    >> job for a fee of £ 4,000.00! I accept that good training costs money
    >> but this does seem a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with
    >> this company? Has anyone got their first IT job this way? Can
    >> anyone suggest a less expensive way to enter the IT industry?
    >> Thanks.

    > So ... How much do you think you'll earn in your first year?
    > I'll tell you. £14 - £16k pa
    > Can you live on that?
    > 7 years ago, when I took that course, I managed to acquire a job on
    > the first day after course end. Then the wages were about 1 1/2 *
    > what they are now!
    > Since the downturn in the industry there are still many experienced
    > FSE out of work, or just doing temp contract work, and with all these
    > "young" folk wanting to join the industry, because they think it's an
    > easy life, ...
    >
    > I, like many others, was laid off. So, tiring after many small
    > contracts, I decided to return to my original trade.
    > If you want a trade which, will pay well, be a secure job and you can
    > travel the world with, join the building industry.
    > I jest not! Electricians, plumbers and brickies are wanted the world
    > over. They are screaming for them in Spain, Portugal, Germany and all
    > much better paid than a first year IT Engineer.

    Couldn't agree more Bryan.

    Instead of farting around gettings papers you'll never use, aim at becoming
    a qualified sparky and do the computer work on the side.

    Although it can pay extremely well*, it usually doesn't. Here in Spain i
    have several friends and contacts who are tradesman and on considerably more
    money than my IT friends... many of whom are scraping together to make ends
    meet.

    *i knew a guy who worked for a Cinema looking after a tatty old server -
    they needed his knowledge of this system, can't remember why, but it was
    mission critical stuff - it never broke but they were scared it would. He
    refused to tell them how it worked, and they never thought to get
    consultants in to survey it. He was on something like 40K for literally
    doing absolutely nothing, just being on the end of the phone should it ever
    fall over... and it never did... not for years. Don't know what happened to
    him... maybe he's still there! For a Cinema to pay that kinda money it was
    probably involved in drug trafficking or money laundering.. but the tale is
    true... you can't make shit like that up.
    nut, Jun 7, 2004
  18. M

    RON Guest

    Go to a proper school!
    "nut" <> wrote in message
    > M wrote:
    > > I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a
    > > first position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    > > http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed
    > > job [snip!]

    > A guaranteed job... selling more Cerco training courses over the

    telephone?

    > If you want a guaranteed job, take the 4,000$ and use it to bribe the IT
    > manager when you go for your first interview.
    >
    > We had a kid join my old firm who'd done one of these courses. He knew
    > absolutely **** all and started at the bottom like everyone else. He

    lasted
    > about 2 months. Now i realise this kinda course may have worked for many
    > many others, but it certainly didn't work for him. We photocopied his work
    > folders in the big fast copier and got to folder two before realising it

    was
    > all so outdated it was completely useless.
    >
    > If you want to get a job in IT start and the bottom, show an interest,

    read
    > up on it, find something you like and get on with it.
    >
    > I mean, presumably you're PC literate? Then get a crappy office job and

    show

    RON, Jun 8, 2004
  19. M spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>

    > I want to start a new career in IT but I am finding it hard to get a first
    > position in the industry. I have been advised to use Cerco
    > http://www.cercotraining.co.uk who offer training and a guaranteed job for
    > fee of £ 4,000.00! I accept that good training costs money but this does
    > seem a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Has
    > anyone got their first IT job this way? Can anyone suggest a less
    > expensive way to enter the IT industry?
    > Thanks.

    I'm in the IT field but I'm a former electronics tech. :)

    What I've done, though, was to read up on the basics (networking, etc.),
    then take the cert tests.

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck_n0i, Jun 8, 2004
  20. M