A new approach by spammers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gangle, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. gangle

    gangle Guest

    Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
    determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
    "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
    The "sender" was:
    Dear U.S. Bank account holder,

    We regret to inform you, that we had to block your U.S. Bank
    account because we have been notified that your account
    may have been compromised by outside parties.

    Our terms and conditions you agreed to state that your
    account must always be under your control or those you
    designate at all times. We have noticed some activity
    related to your account that indicates that other parties
    may have access and or control of your information
    in your account.

    These parties have in the past been involved with money
    laundering, illegal drugs, terrorism and various Federal
    Title 18 violations. In order that you may access your
    account we must verify your identity by clicking on
    the link below.

    Please be aware that until we can verify your identity no
    further access to your account will be allowed and we
    will have no other liability for your account or any
    transactions that may have occurred as a result
    of your failure to reactivate your account as
    instructed below.

    Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

    <<<<<<<<<<"verify identity" URL snipped>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Before you reactivate your account, all payments have been
    frozen, and you will not be able to use your account in any
    way until we have verified your identity.

    Jesus H. Christ.

    gangle, Jan 20, 2004

  2. gangle

    Boomer Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in

    > Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
    > determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
    > "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
    > The "sender" was:

    Hopefully Earthlink is aggressive at stopping something like this.

    But then... the spammers move on to another ISP. Sad!

    Boomer, Jan 20, 2004

  3. gangle

    Jay Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in message
    > Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
    > determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
    > "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
    > The "sender" was:
    > Jesus H. Christ.

    Same scam has been around for a while over here.
    Without the biblical signature though.

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 20, 2004
  4. It was on Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:56:41 -0800, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that gangle wrote:

    > Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to determine if my email
    > address is valid. The subject read: "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has
    > been suspended." The "sender" was:
    > Dear U.S. Bank account holder,

    <snip>

    A phishing expedition.
    http://www.anti-phishing.org/report_phishing.htm

    --
    Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0

    William Poaster, Jan 20, 2004
  5. gangle

    Senti Guest

    gangle did mumble ...

    > Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
    > determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
    > "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
    > The "sender" was:

    <snip>

    Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
    sad...

    --
    ~SF~
    My doctor gave me six months to live but when I couldn't pay the bill,

    Senti, Jan 20, 2004
  6. gangle

    EricP Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:59:47 -0600, "Senti"
    <> wrote:

    >gangle did mumble ...
    >
    >> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
    >> determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
    >> "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
    >> The "sender" was:

    ><snip>
    >
    >Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
    >sad...

    100,000+ in the UK for ONE letter!

    Sheesh!!

    EricP, Jan 20, 2004
  7. gangle

    Jay Guest

    "EricP" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:59:47 -0600, "Senti"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >gangle did mumble ...
    > >
    > >> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
    > >> determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
    > >> "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
    > >> The "sender" was:

    > ><snip>
    > >
    > >Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
    > >sad...

    > 100,000+ in the UK for ONE letter!
    >
    > Sheesh!!

    Look on the bright side... keeps us computer people in work!

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 21, 2004
  8. Jay wrote:

    >>>Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...

    >>100,000+ in the UK for ONE letter!
    >>Sheesh!!

    > Look on the bright side... keeps us computer people in work!

    To paraphrase Apocalypse Now:
    "I love the smell of fresh brewed and condensed double-double Mocha
    Espresso when I come into the Tech Support center in the morning.... It
    smells like.... A new virus has been released!"

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 21, 2004
  9. gangle

    frosty Guest

    <> wrote:

    >gangle did mumble ...
    >
    >> Here's a new (for me) scam approach by a spammer to
    >> determine if my email address is valid. The subject read:
    >> "[6] Your account at U.S. Bank has been suspended."
    >> The "sender" was:

    ><snip>
    >
    >Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
    >sad...

    Usually the newbies I find...I feel bad for them....

    frosty, Feb 6, 2004
  10. gangle

    d w a c o n Guest

    "frosty" <> wrote in message

    > >Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
    > >sad...

    > Usually the newbies I find...I feel bad for them....

    What was that P T Barnum said about a fool and their money ??

    --

    I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
    http://tinyurl.com/34h7l

    d w a c o n, Feb 7, 2004
  11. d w a c o n rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >"frosty" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> >Unfortunately, there are actually people out there who fall for that...
    >> >sad...

    >> Usually the newbies I find...I feel bad for them....
    >>

    > What was that P T Barnum said about a fool and their money ??

    It was "There's a sucker born every minute."

    Black Baptist, Feb 7, 2004