    MCDST would count towards the MCSA or MCSE Exames? I am
    trying to decide if I should go for the MCDST or just go
    for the MCSA.
    Todd, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Todd

    Wolf Guest

    I just took a course for MCSA. I am still working on that one, but the
    certifications I have received so far are A+, MCP, and MCDST. I was told by
    the school that those were steps towards the MCSA. You can take different
    electives, but those would be all you need besides the actual tests
    specifically for the MCSA (70-210, 70-215, 70-218). Those are the MCSA 2000
    tests. I don't know the numbers for the 2003.

    Wolf, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Todd

    Bobby Guest

    Hi Todd,

    You need 1 client exam (Win2k or WinXP), 2 network exams (for Win Server 2k
    or Win Server 2k3) and 1 elective exam to get certified as MCSA. MCDST
    qualifies as the elective exam for MCSA (not for MCSE). A+ and Network+ (you
    must have both) also satisfy as an elective exam.

    If you are looking for the shortest path to MCSA, you can ignore the MCDST
    as you already have A+ and Network+ that satisfy as the elective. If you want
    to gauge your understanding on WinXP or you want to collect more certs along
    the way and don't mind the time and money, you might want to take on MCDST.

    Hope this helps.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Todd

    Jason Guest

    A+ and Net+ count as an elective toward MCSA or MCSE. So to answer your
    question, they do not count woard the MCDST. The only means of satisfying
    the MCDST requirements are to pass 271 and 272.

    The MCSA and MCSE allow for an elective exam, which either the CompTia tests
    OR the MCDST can be used for.

    If you ultimately want to earn your MCSA or MCSE, I would recommend going
    the MCDST route as this enables you to actually WORK in a helpdesk
    environment which will give you the experience needed to actually move
    toward a more advanced cert.

    Jason, Jan 19, 2005
  5. Todd

    Graham Guest

    No A+/Net+ do not count towards MCDST, but they do count as
    an elective towards MCSA, so for that matter does MCDST but
    you will need bith 271 & 272

    Graham

    Graham, Feb 3, 2005