A nearly On-Topic question

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by JaR, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. JaR

    JaR Guest

    No, seriously ;-)

    I'm trying to write a Group Policy to allow certain ActiveX controls to
    load on machines without local admin privileges. This is what I've come
    up with, but for some reason it won't work. Anyone out there ever done
    this before? What have I done wrong?

    CLASS USER
    CATEGORY "Windows Components"
    CATEGORY "Internet Explorer"
    CATEGORY "Administrator Approved Controls"
    KEYNAME
    "Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\AllowedControls"

    POLICY "Allowed ActiveX"
    EXPLAIN "Allows specific ActiveX to run"
    PART "Promax Logon" CHECKBOX
    VALUENAME {ED5BE7F4-9C97-4013-8838-48C20128D73A}
    VALUEON NUMERIC 0
    VALUEOFF NUMERIC 1
    END PART
    END POLICY

    END CATEGORY ;; AdminApproved
    END CATEGORY ;; Internet Explorer
    END CATEGORY ;; WindowsComponents

    Valuename is the ID # from the control in the downloaded program files,
    and the policy shows up, and is enabled in the GPO snap-in.

    --
    JaR
    Scratching head in confusion, as usual
    JaR, Feb 20, 2008

  2. Obviously not ON topic enough...

    ....or maybe it was too on topic...who knows around here.

    ;-)

    --
    CG

    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Feb 21, 2008

  3. JaR

    JaR Guest

    On 2/21/2008,Robert Williams [CertGuard] had the unmitigated gall to
    claim:

    > Obviously not ON topic enough...
    >

    > ...or maybe it was too on topic...who knows around here.

    Posted it in the Group Policy...errr...group as well. No response there
    so far, either.

    Oh well.

    Nobody ever said this stuff was easy.

    --
    JaR
    Just once would be nice
    JaR, Feb 21, 2008
  4. "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > On 2/21/2008,Robert Williams [CertGuard] had the unmitigated gall to
    > claim:
    >
    >> Obviously not ON topic enough...
    >>

    >> ...or maybe it was too on topic...who knows around here.

    > Posted it in the Group Policy...errr...group as well. No response there
    > so far, either.
    >
    > Oh well.
    >
    > Nobody ever said this stuff was easy.

    Knowing your superior google skills, I have to ask if you've been able to find
    anything on the topic. There are a few pretty good scripting sites out there.
    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Feb 22, 2008
  5. JaR

    kpg* Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in news:e0RTmEMdIHA.4140
    @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

    > On 2/21/2008,Robert Williams [CertGuard] had the unmitigated gall to
    > claim:
    >
    >> Obviously not ON topic enough...
    >>

    >> ...or maybe it was too on topic...who knows around here.

    > Posted it in the Group Policy...errr...group as well. No response there
    > so far, either.
    >
    > Oh well.
    >
    > Nobody ever said this stuff was easy.

    This stuff is easy.

    Now you can't say that anymore.
    kpg*, Feb 22, 2008
  6. JaR

    kpg* Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in news:uXY#Xw9cIHA.2688
    @TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

    > No, seriously ;-)
    >
    > I'm trying to write a Group Policy to allow certain ActiveX controls

    > load on machines without local admin privileges. This is what I've

    come
    > up with, but for some reason it won't work. Anyone out there ever done
    > this before? What have I done wrong?

    > CLASS USER
    > CATEGORY "Windows Components"
    > CATEGORY "Internet Explorer"
    > CATEGORY "Administrator Approved Controls"
    > KEYNAME
    > "Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\AllowedControls"
    >

    > POLICY "Allowed ActiveX"
    > EXPLAIN "Allows specific ActiveX to run"
    > PART "Promax Logon" CHECKBOX
    > VALUENAME {ED5BE7F4-9C97-4013-8838-48C20128D73A}
    > VALUEON NUMERIC 0
    > VALUEOFF NUMERIC 1
    > END PART
    > END POLICY
    >

    > END CATEGORY ;; AdminApproved
    > END CATEGORY ;; Internet Explorer
    > END CATEGORY ;; WindowsComponents

    > Valuename is the ID # from the control in the downloaded program

    files,
    > and the policy shows up, and is enabled in the GPO snap-in.

    OK. I'm here to help. I found this:

    http://dontpokebadgers.com/axaa/

    ....but it look eerily like what you have already presented - perhaps
    this is where you go it from?

    anyway...based on this I say you're doing it right.

    ....so there really is no problem.

    Your welcome.

    kpg
    kpg*, Feb 22, 2008
  7. JaR

    kpg* Guest

    kpg*, Feb 22, 2008
  8. JaR

    JaR Guest

    On 2/22/2008,kpg* had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > OK. I'm here to help. I found this:
    >
    > http://dontpokebadgers.com/axaa/
    >
    > ...but it look eerily like what you have already presented - perhaps
    > this is where you go it from?

    That's where I found it alright.

    > anyway...based on this I say you're doing it right.

    Oh, goody.

    > ...so there really is no problem.

    *whew* What a relief.

    > Your welcome.

    My what?

    --
    JaR
    So why don't it fscking work?
    JaR, Feb 22, 2008
  9. JaR

    JaR Guest

    JaR, Feb 22, 2008
  10. JaR

    JaR Guest

    On 2/22/2008,Robert Williams [CertGuard] had the unmitigated gall to
    claim:

    > Knowing your superior google skills, I have to ask if you've been
    > able to find anything on the topic. There are a few pretty good
    > scripting sites out there.

    Nope. My post to the GP group has not even gleaned a reply, either.

    IDGI! I know it's prolly something stupid I'm doing.

    --
    JaR
    But I'm learning a ton about GP!
    JaR, Feb 22, 2008
  11. JaR

    CBIC Guest

    "kpg*" <> wrote in message

    > anyway...based on this I say you're doing it right.
    >
    > ...so there really is no problem.
    >
    > Your welcome.

    I agree. If the script doesn't meet your requirement, then change your
    requirement and take the rest of the day off.
    CBIC, Feb 22, 2008
  12. JaR

    CBIC Guest

    "kpg*" <> wrote in message
    > hmmmm... seems Vista solves all your problems.

    Someone should punch you in the mouth for typing that.
    CBIC, Feb 22, 2008
  13. JaR

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:17:29 -0800, "JaR" <> wrote:

    >No, seriously ;-)
    >
    >I'm trying to write a Group Policy to allow certain ActiveX controls to
    >load on machines without local admin privileges. This is what I've come
    >up with, but for some reason it won't work. Anyone out there ever done
    >this before? What have I done wrong?

    >CLASS USER
    >CATEGORY "Windows Components"
    > CATEGORY "Internet Explorer"
    > CATEGORY "Administrator Approved Controls"
    > KEYNAME
    >"Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    >Settings\AllowedControls"
    >

    > POLICY "Allowed ActiveX"
    > EXPLAIN "Allows specific ActiveX to run"
    > PART "Promax Logon" CHECKBOX
    > VALUENAME {ED5BE7F4-9C97-4013-8838-48C20128D73A}
    > VALUEON NUMERIC 0
    > VALUEOFF NUMERIC 1
    > END PART
    > END POLICY
    >

    > END CATEGORY ;; AdminApproved
    > END CATEGORY ;; Internet Explorer
    >END CATEGORY ;; WindowsComponents

    >Valuename is the ID # from the control in the downloaded program files,
    >and the policy shows up, and is enabled in the GPO snap-in.

    Maybe it is applied and your link order is screwed up?
    PAJ, Feb 22, 2008
  14. JaR

    kpg* Guest

    "CBIC" <> wrote in news:#cg1RrZdIHA.4312
    @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

    > "kpg*" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> anyway...based on this I say you're doing it right.
    >>
    >> ...so there really is no problem.
    >>
    >> Your welcome.
    >>

    > I agree. If the script doesn't meet your requirement, then change your
    > requirement and take the rest of the day off.

    There is no spoon.
    kpg*, Feb 22, 2008
  15. JaR

    kpg* Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in news:OtCRPMZdIHA.5348
    @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

    > I know it's prolly something stupid I'm doing.

    I could not agree more.
    kpg*, Feb 22, 2008
  16. JaR

    JaR Guest

    On 2/22/2008,kpg* had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > "JaR" <> wrote in news:OtCRPMZdIHA.5348
    > @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:
    >
    > > I know it's prolly something stupid I'm doing.

    > I could not agree more.

    Thanks. uh...I mean...hey!

    --
    JaR
    Same to you
    JaR, Feb 22, 2008
  17. JaR

    JaR Guest

    On 2/22/2008,CBIC had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > "kpg*" <> wrote in message
    > > hmmmm... seems Vista solves all your problems.
    > >

    > Someone should punch you in the mouth for typing that.

    Hard and repeatedly!

    --
    JaR
    Teach 'im ta agree with *me*
    JaR, Feb 22, 2008
  18. JaR

    JaR Guest

    On 2/22/2008,CBIC had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > "kpg*" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > anyway...based on this I say you're doing it right.
    > >
    > > ...so there really is no problem.
    > >
    > > Your welcome.
    > >

    > I agree. If the script doesn't meet your requirement, then change
    > your requirement and take the rest of the day off.

    First intelligent thing I've heard all fscking day.

    --
    JaR
    Make it so, Number One!
    JaR, Feb 22, 2008
  19. "JaR" <> wrote in message

    > On 2/22/2008,CBIC had the unmitigated gall to claim:
    >

    > > "kpg*" <> wrote in message
    > > > hmmmm... seems Vista solves all your problems.
    > > >

    > > Someone should punch you in the mouth for typing that.

    > Hard and repeatedly!
    >
    > --
    > JaR
    > Teach 'im ta agree with *me*
    > Remove hat to reply

    And what's so wrong with Vista.

    <arsewhippin>

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 23, 2008