A Must for Epson Printer Users...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by no one@noone.cnn, Dec 13, 2007.

  1. no

    no Guest

    no , Dec 13, 2007

  2. no

    frederick Guest

    no wrote:

    > A great tool
    >

    > http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    That needs to be used with care. Epson printheads are very expensive
    and are not user-replaceable. Running cartridges fully out can damage
    the heads (not as certain a death as for thermal heads in Canon/HP etc)
    or at best can contribute to blockages / air locks - and wasting more
    ink trying to clear than the ink saved by trying to extract the last few
    drops out of cartridges.

    frederick, Dec 13, 2007

  3. no

    Max Burke Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > no wrote:
    >>

    >> A great tool
    >>

    >> http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
    >>

    > That needs to be used with care. Epson printheads are very expensive and
    > are not user-replaceable. Running cartridges fully out can damage the
    > heads (not as certain a death as for thermal heads in Canon/HP etc) or at
    > best can contribute to blockages / air locks - and wasting more ink trying
    > to clear than the ink saved by trying to extract the last few drops out of
    > cartridges.

    I have been using this utility with my Epson printers for the last 5+ years
    without any problems; It's a lot more economical with head cleaning that the
    Epson head cleaning what with it allowing you to clean either the black or
    colour jets, and is more 'accurate' when reporting remaining ink levels in
    the cartridges.

    But I have 'religiously' avoided using it's options to force the ink
    cartridge to run out completely or to reset the counters for the reasons you
    say...

    Max Burke, Dec 13, 2007
  4. no

    frederick Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> no wrote:
    >>>

    >>> A great tool
    >>>

    >>> http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
    >>>

    >> That needs to be used with care. Epson printheads are very expensive
    >> and are not user-replaceable. Running cartridges fully out can damage
    >> the heads (not as certain a death as for thermal heads in Canon/HP
    >> etc) or at best can contribute to blockages / air locks - and wasting
    >> more ink trying to clear than the ink saved by trying to extract the
    >> last few drops out of cartridges.
    >>

    > I have been using this utility with my Epson printers for the last 5+
    > years without any problems; It's a lot more economical with head
    > cleaning that the Epson head cleaning what with it allowing you to clean
    > either the black or colour jets, and is more 'accurate' when reporting
    > remaining ink levels in the cartridges.
    >
    > But I have 'religiously' avoided using it's options to force the ink
    > cartridge to run out completely or to reset the counters for the reasons
    > you say...

    The remaining ink reported on Epson cartridges is based on estimated
    print usage calculation plus known fixed quantities flushed for cleaning
    / priming. So although the utility might suggest a more accurate
    measurement by having a finer scale, it's just accessing the same data
    from the printer.
    I haven't had to run a head cleaning on my current Epson (R1800) after
    2.5 years of use. That's a reasonably high end printer though, and
    possibly better built / better sealed around the printer head parking
    bay than cheaper models.
    I tend to run cartridges out fully (ie until the printer stops in the
    middle of a job) rather than when the warning to replace a cartridge
    pops up - when quite a few ml of ink is left - something that got Epson
    in to a spot of bother in the US with a class action suit. Cartridges
    I've disassembled have had no more than a few drops of ink remaining.
    But leaving the printers for long periods with only light use while the
    ink warning light is blinking is asking for trouble, as the normal
    maintenance head cleaning (and manual head cleaning) is suspended when
    the printer is in that state.
    Ink prices are close to theft - if it wasn't for the fact that the old
    R1800 spits out better quality (up to 13x19 inch) archival quality
    semi-gloss photo prints than anything else I've seen, and doubles up as
    a handy general purpose home printer for documents, I'd have flogged it
    off on TradeMe years ago.

    frederick, Dec 14, 2007
  5. no

    frederick Guest

    no wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:12:03 +1300, frederick <> wrote:
    >
    >> no wrote:
    >>>
    >>> A great tool
    >>>

    >>> http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
    >>>

    >> That needs to be used with care. Epson printheads are very expensive
    >> and are not user-replaceable. Running cartridges fully out can damage
    >> the heads (not as certain a death as for thermal heads in Canon/HP etc)
    >> or at best can contribute to blockages / air locks - and wasting more
    >> ink trying to clear than the ink saved by trying to extract the last few
    >> drops out of cartridges.
    >>

    > I have removed a print head and cleaned it, no problems at all, and most of your comments seem to be
    > repeats of Epson's scare mongering..

    If it only needs cleaning, then that's one thing - but it seems an
    extreme measure to remove an Epson head for cleaning.
    Scaremongering? Not really - as I point out they're less prone to dying
    than thermal heads. But using that utility to run a cartridge fully dry
    is likely to be false economy.
    The utility seems to be useful if you want to use non oem cartridges or
    a CIS. If you use oem ink, then IMO forgetaboutit.

    frederick, Dec 14, 2007
  6. no

    no Guest

    no , Dec 14, 2007
  7. no

    Richard Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > That needs to be used with care. Epson printheads are very expensive
    > and are not user-replaceable. Running cartridges fully out can damage
    > the heads (not as certain a death as for thermal heads in Canon/HP etc)
    > or at best can contribute to blockages / air locks - and wasting more
    > ink trying to clear than the ink saved by trying to extract the last few
    > drops out of cartridges.

    When the printer costs what 2 lots of ink does, then I think its worth
    the risk, plus you get new ink with the new printer too.

    Richard, Dec 14, 2007
  8. no

    no Guest

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:11:38 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >frederick wrote:
    >> That needs to be used with care. Epson printheads are very expensive
    >> and are not user-replaceable. Running cartridges fully out can damage
    >> the heads (not as certain a death as for thermal heads in Canon/HP etc)
    >> or at best can contribute to blockages / air locks - and wasting more
    >> ink trying to clear than the ink saved by trying to extract the last few
    >> drops out of cartridges.

    >When the printer costs what 2 lots of ink does, then I think its worth
    >the risk, plus you get new ink with the new printer too.

    I am just using DSE ink on a R210, about 1/2 the price than the Epson and even cheaper when you
    return the tanks..

    The Jettec UK brand Tanks have 30% more ink..

    http://www.jettec.com/

    NZ Agent had problems with e-mail..

    http://computerone.co.nz/store/home.php?cat=3&sort=title&sort_direction=0&page=3

    no , Dec 14, 2007
  9. no

    Richard Guest

    no wrote:

    > I am just using DSE ink on a R210, about 1/2 the price than the Epson and even cheaper when you
    > return the tanks..

    I found that they didnt look as good when printed onto a dvd, which is
    about all the inkjet here gets used for. Oh, and pages of photos since
    the crap laser is so slow at it.

    Richard, Dec 14, 2007
  10. no

    no Guest

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 04:49:34 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >no wrote:
    >
    >> I am just using DSE ink on a R210, about 1/2 the price than the Epson and even cheaper when you
    >> return the tanks..

    >I found that they didnt look as good when printed onto a dvd, which is
    >about all the inkjet here gets used for. Oh, and pages of photos since
    >the crap laser is so slow at it.

    Are we talking about Printers or DVD/CD Burners..?

    no , Dec 14, 2007
  11. no

    Richard Guest

    no wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 04:49:34 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> no wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am just using DSE ink on a R210, about 1/2 the price than the Epson and even cheaper when you
    >>> return the tanks..

    >> I found that they didnt look as good when printed onto a dvd, which is
    >> about all the inkjet here gets used for. Oh, and pages of photos since
    >> the crap laser is so slow at it.

    > Are we talking about Printers or DVD/CD Burners..?

    Printers, how the hell did you get dvd burners out of what I said?

    Richard, Dec 15, 2007
  12. In article <>, Richard did write:

    > Oh, and pages of photos since the crap laser is so slow at it.

    Are lasers worth using for photos at all?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2007
  13. In article <>, no
    did write:

    > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 04:49:34 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>I found that they didnt look as good when printed onto a dvd...

    > Are we talking about Printers or DVD/CD Burners..?

    Hey Grandad, you *do* know that many modern printers are capable of printing
    directly onto CDs and DVDs, don't you?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2007
  14. no

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, Richard did write:
    >
    >> Oh, and pages of photos since the crap laser is so slow at it.

    > Are lasers worth using for photos at all?

    They are ok for just writing on to document research, but it seems that
    the non gdi one I have is so pathetically slow to crunch the data that
    its 16 ppm becomes almost 16 mpp when doing 9 on one page from the
    windows photo printing wizard, whereas the inkjet starts straight away
    so even tho its a slower printer, its done much faster

    Richard, Dec 18, 2007
  15. In article <4767283b$>, Richard did write:

    > ,,, it seems that
    > the non gdi one I have is so pathetically slow to crunch the data that
    > its 16 ppm becomes almost 16 mpp when doing 9 on one page from the
    > windows photo printing wizard...

    Is it PostScript, by any chance? That's the only thing I can think of that
    could be slower than a dumb printer. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2007
  16. no

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <4767283b$>, Richard did write:
    >
    >> ,,, it seems that
    >> the non gdi one I have is so pathetically slow to crunch the data that
    >> its 16 ppm becomes almost 16 mpp when doing 9 on one page from the
    >> windows photo printing wizard...

    > Is it PostScript, by any chance? That's the only thing I can think of that
    > could be slower than a dumb printer. :)

    No, its pcl5 or something like that.

    Next laser I get will definatly be a gdi one because they are so much
    faster but I tend to buy the used $50 ones off trademe and run them into
    the ground since toner for colour lasers costs so much ;)

    Richard, Dec 18, 2007