    Have A Great Day!
    --
    All Outgoing mail scanned by McAfee

    Matthew Surber, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Sorry, I mad a mistake below. It is supposed to say "115.2 kbps, but it
    disconnects at least 2 times a day. What should I do about this"
    "Matthew Surber" <> wrote in message
    > I posted in another one of the computer groups about a problem with a
    > different modem I have. I have another modem that I might be having

    problems
    > with also. The modem is a V.92 Dial-up modem that I am using now. When I
    > connect with it, it says it connects at 115.2 kbps, but the internet is
    > really slow. I use this modem on a LAN, and it is slow on both computers,
    > but the modem I had before only connected at 45.2 kbps, yet the internet

    was

    Matthew Surber, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Matthew Surber

    Thor Guest

    > Sorry, I mad a mistake below. It is supposed to say "115.2 kbps, but it
    > disconnects at least 2 times a day. What should I do about this"

    That reading is inaccurate, since it is impossible for a 56K modem to
    connect to another modem at 115K. What you are seeing is the speed of
    communication between your modem and your computer, rather than between your
    modem and the remote host's modem. This is usually caused by an incorrect,
    or badly written modem driver. Try updating your modem driver and see if it
    changes. If not, there are usually AT commands that can be put into the
    modem's advanced settings to force it to display the proper connect speed.
    In this case it is probably connecting at a slower speed than your old 56K
    modem, but is displaying the wrong connection stat, so you have no way of
    knowing for sure what the true connection speed is.

    Thor, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Matthew Surber

    taltos Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Matthew Surber" <> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, I mad a mistake below. It is supposed to say "115.2 kbps, but it
    >> disconnects at least 2 times a day. What should I do about this"

    > That reading is inaccurate, since it is impossible for a 56K modem to
    > connect to another modem at 115K. What you are seeing is the speed of
    > communication between your modem and your computer, rather than between
    > your modem and the remote host's modem. This is usually caused by an
    > incorrect, or badly written modem driver. Try updating your modem driver
    > and see if it changes. If not, there are usually AT commands that can be
    > put into the modem's advanced settings to force it to display the proper
    > connect speed. In this case it is probably connecting at a slower speed
    > than your old 56K modem, but is displaying the wrong connection stat, so
    > you have no way of knowing for sure what the true connection speed is.
    >
    > Thor-new poster here, if he has the manual to his modem it should have the
    > Hayes modem commands to reset and check

    speed, correct? If needed, I have a modem manual in my files and can give
    the commands to him. Would help? Paul

    taltos, Oct 7, 2004
  5. Do you know the settings to put into the advanced settings? How would I
    update the modem driver? Do you know if there is a way to see what the
    connection is between the modem and the remote host's modem? Sorry for all
    the questions.

    Matthew Surber, Oct 7, 2004
  6. Could you send the manual to me by email, or post in to the usenet? I would
    greatly appreciate it. Do you have any idea what would make it disconnect at
    least 2 times a day? The modem is almost brand new, about 2 months old, if
    that.

    Matthew Surber, Oct 7, 2004
  7. Matthew Surber

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:39:54 GMT, "Matthew Surber"
    <> wrote:

    >Do you know the settings to put into the advanced settings? How would I
    >update the modem driver?

    You don't need updated drivers...at least until you find out what the
    real connect speed is.

    >Do you know if there is a way to see what the
    >connection is between the modem and the remote host's modem? Sorry for all
    >the questions.

    The only problem you have at this point is the way the display shows
    the connection speed to you. Its kinda like seeing a temperature as
    either Fahrenheit or Centigrade. Yer seeing the port speed...when
    what you want to see is the actual Internet speed.

    Just browse Google for 'modem AT commands'...and you should find what
    you want.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 8, 2004
  8. Matthew Surber

    Thor Guest

    "taltos" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Matthew Surber" <> wrote in message
    >>> Sorry, I mad a mistake below. It is supposed to say "115.2 kbps, but it
    >>> disconnects at least 2 times a day. What should I do about this"

    >> That reading is inaccurate, since it is impossible for a 56K modem to
    >> connect to another modem at 115K. What you are seeing is the speed of
    >> communication between your modem and your computer, rather than between
    >> your modem and the remote host's modem. This is usually caused by an
    >> incorrect, or badly written modem driver. Try updating your modem driver
    >> and see if it changes. If not, there are usually AT commands that can be
    >> put into the modem's advanced settings to force it to display the proper
    >> connect speed. In this case it is probably connecting at a slower speed
    >> than your old 56K modem, but is displaying the wrong connection stat, so
    >> you have no way of knowing for sure what the true connection speed is.
    >>
    >> Thor-new poster here, if he has the manual to his modem it should have
    >> the Hayes modem commands to reset and check

    possibly. Most manuals supplied with modems these days don't actually list
    the AT commands. You often need to go to the manufacturer's website to get
    that kind of documentation if they even supply it.

    > speed, correct? If needed, I have a modem manual in my files and can give
    > the commands to him. Would help? Paul

    could help. Give it a try.

    Thor, Oct 8, 2004