a million dollar DVD Commentary idear

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by RSF Group, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. RSF Group

    RSF Group Guest

    how about have actors do voice-overcommentary in character?

    imagine a star wars dvd commentary with yoda and darth vader.

    'in this scene, to the dark side annakin goes'.

    'with all due respect, master yoda, lord sidious has better beer'.

    -----

    how about scarface commentary with tony montana?

    'look at that motherfuc*ing scene, man, i shoot all them cockroaches.
    i show them piece of shi*. if i known that scum walk behind me like a
    fag, i turn around and shoot his fuc*ing face! and the gunshot not
    kill me. i just not know how to swim.'

    or how about tuco and blondie commenting on good bad ugly?

    or dirty harry?

    it'd be great with comedies. woody allen in character commenting on
    woody allen characters.

    -------

    it'd be like sunset boulevard with the dead man's commentary.

    RSF Group, Jun 23, 2006

  2. RSF Group

    Jason Fitch Guest

    RSF Group wrote:
    > how about have actors do voice-overcommentary in character?
    >
    > imagine a star wars dvd commentary with yoda and darth vader.
    >
    > 'in this scene, to the dark side annakin goes'.
    >
    > 'with all due respect, master yoda, lord sidious has better beer'.
    >
    > -----
    >
    > how about scarface commentary with tony montana?
    >
    > 'look at that motherfuc*ing scene, man, i shoot all them cockroaches.
    > i show them piece of shi*. if i known that scum walk behind me like a
    > fag, i turn around and shoot his fuc*ing face! and the gunshot not
    > kill me. i just not know how to swim.'
    >
    > or how about tuco and blondie commenting on good bad ugly?
    >
    > or dirty harry?
    >
    > it'd be great with comedies. woody allen in character commenting on
    > woody allen characters.
    >
    > -------
    >
    > it'd be like sunset boulevard with the dead man's commentary.

    Spinal Tap

    Jason Fitch, Jun 23, 2006

  3. RSF Group wrote:
    > how about have actors do voice-overcommentary in character?

    Nah, they did it for cheaper than that:
    http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MGD000973

    (And that one goes back about five years...
    THAT was it? THAT was your attempt to get the RASSM threads and
    obligatory stoner-Scarface ref mentioned?
    Geez, you're still in that purple haze!)

    Derek Janssen (who would've bought it, but still sentimental for the
    Criterion)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 23, 2006
  4. RSF Group

    perc2100 Guest

    Pixar did this for the cartoon short on the Incredibles DVD. It was a
    cartoon based on Mr. Incredible and Frozone, and the two actors did
    commentary as their superhero characters about the kid's cartoon. It
    was pretty funny.

    Also, the children's movie "Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie" featured
    feature length commentary with two of the main 'characters' (Larry the
    cucumber and Mr. Lunt the squash, or whatever the heck vegetable he
    is).
    --
    doug

    perc2100, Jun 23, 2006
  5. perc2100 wrote:
    > Pixar did this for the cartoon short on the Incredibles DVD. It was a
    > cartoon based on Mr. Incredible and Frozone, and the two actors did
    > commentary as their superhero characters about the kid's cartoon. It
    > was pretty funny.
    >
    > Also, the children's movie "Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie" featured
    > feature length commentary with two of the main 'characters' (Larry the
    > cucumber and Mr. Lunt the squash, or whatever the heck vegetable he
    > is).

    And then, of course, the various Muppet movies.
    (Particularly "Muppets From Space", with director Tim Hill convinced
    that DVD commentaries were "sorta like MST3K", and thus doing his best
    attempted fanboy imitations of Michael J. Nelson's "Huh..." cadences)--

    In fact, just how MANY real commentaries can we smart-slap Gaza's
    none-too-inspired thread with, before we all get bored with it?

    Derek Janssen (I mean, one like this, you gotta pound it six miles into
    the ground) :)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 23, 2006
  6. RSF Group <> wrote:
    >how about have actors do voice-overcommentary in character?

    Been done before (examples: Futurama, couple of eps here and
    there, and some recent Disney movie had Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas doing
    essentially a full comedy album as a commentary track), but unless your
    actors are absolutely aces at improv, you're going to need some quality
    writing, and then it's really more trouble than it's worth.

    --
    ED! ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

    TEXT EDITOR. -Patrick J. LoPresti

    Andrew Ryan Chang, Jun 23, 2006
  7. RSF Group

    Alric Knebel Guest

    Jason Fitch wrote:

    > RSF Group wrote:
    >
    >> how about have actors do voice-overcommentary in character?
    >>
    >> imagine a star wars dvd commentary with yoda and darth vader.
    >>
    >> 'in this scene, to the dark side annakin goes'.
    >>
    >> 'with all due respect, master yoda, lord sidious has better beer'.
    >>
    >> -----
    >>
    >> how about scarface commentary with tony montana?
    >>
    >> 'look at that motherfuc*ing scene, man, i shoot all them cockroaches.
    >> i show them piece of shi*. if i known that scum walk behind me like a
    >> fag, i turn around and shoot his fuc*ing face! and the gunshot not
    >> kill me. i just not know how to swim.'
    >>
    >> or how about tuco and blondie commenting on good bad ugly?
    >>
    >> or dirty harry?
    >>
    >> it'd be great with comedies. woody allen in character commenting on
    >> woody allen characters.
    >>
    >> -------
    >>
    >> it'd be like sunset boulevard with the dead man's commentary.
    >>

    > Spinal Tap

    Yeah, that was good. You can watch the movie again for the commentary,
    and it's another comedy in itself. Hell, the stuff that was cut out was
    damned near another whole movie. But it was sort of just more of the
    same stuff.

    Alric Knebel
    http://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.html
    http://www.ironeyefortress.com

    Alric Knebel, Jun 23, 2006
  8. RSF Group

    Crimson* Guest

    Funny you should bring this up. I watched the OT DVDs a few weeks back w/
    the commentary on and found the ANH & ROTJ's commentaries to be incredibly
    dull. I like commentary where insight is given into the making of the movie
    or anecdotes are shared, but it seemed like all these were was the sound guy
    going on and on about how great he was. ESB had Kershner giving a great
    commentary, though.

    Crimson*, Jun 23, 2006
  9. RSF Group

    Guest

    Bruce Campbell does a commentary track on "Bubba Ho-Tep" as "The King."

    Mildly hilarious.

    Kate

    , Jun 23, 2006
  10. RSF Group

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    Not a movie, obviously, but Steve Coogan did commentaries for the
    British comedy series "I'm Alan Partridge" in character as Alan
    Partridge. He also did alternate audio tracks as himself.

    SoHillsGuy, Jun 24, 2006
  11. RSF Group

    ANIM8Rfsk Guest

    in article , SoHillsGuy
    at wrote on 6/23/06 8:45 PM:

    > Not a movie, obviously, but Steve Coogan did commentaries for the
    > British comedy series "I'm Alan Partridge" in character as Alan
    > Partridge. He also did alternate audio tracks as himself.

    But they ignored Dave Madden.

    ANIM8Rfsk, Jun 24, 2006
  12. RSF Group

    Duggy Guest

    RSF Group wrote:
    > how about have actors do voice-overcommentary in character?

    You mean like they did for the "Y tu mamá también" commentary?

    ===
    = DUG.
    ===

    Duggy, Jun 24, 2006