    of PC3200 DDR (which I would have to buy?) The mainboard will accomodate
    either type. I'm going to be running a Celeron 2.6Mhz CPU on the board.
    Would it really make any performance difference if I use the DDR chips?

    JTJersey, Jan 10, 2004

  2. JTJersey

    Bill Nathan Guest

    2.6 mhz? Its ghz I hope!

    Bill Nathan, Jan 10, 2004

  3. JTJersey

    Bill Nathan Guest

    The best performance upgrade would be switching from a Celeron to a Pentium
    4. Celerons are unstable and suck!

    Bill Nathan, Jan 10, 2004
  4. JTJersey

    derek / nul Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:49:44 -0500, "JTJersey" <>
    wrote:

    >What would make more sense, 512Mb of PC133 SDRAM (which I have) or 256Mb
    >of PC3200 DDR (which I would have to buy?)

    512Mb of 133

    > The mainboard will accomodate
    >either type. I'm going to be running a Celeron 2.6Mhz CPU on the board.
    >Would it really make any performance difference if I use the DDR chips?

    Yes

    derek / nul, Jan 10, 2004
  5. JTJersey

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:05:26 GMT, "Bill Nathan" <>
    wrote:

    Celerons are unstable and suck!

    Would you like to quantify that statement with some facts?

    Have a look at www.tomshardware.com for some real information.

    Derek

    derek / nul, Jan 10, 2004
  6. JTJersey

    Thor Guest

    DDR without question. Frankly, I'm amazed a board that accepts PC3200 DDR
    would also accept standard SDRAM anyway. But the SDRAM will be a big
    bottleneck. Go with the DDR.

    Thor, Jan 10, 2004
  7. JTJersey

    Thor Guest

    "Bill Nathan" <> wrote in message
    > The best performance upgrade would be switching from a Celeron to a

    Pentium
    > 4. Celerons are unstable and suck!

    Celerons are hardly "unstable".

    Thor, Jan 10, 2004
  8. JTJersey

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Bill Nathan" <> wrote in news:y5JLb.9533
    $5V2.15284@attbi_s53:

    > Celerons are unstable and suck!

    This is a statement which makes me immediately classify you as a moron. Do
    you understand that a Celeron and a Pentium 4 are the same exact chip, just
    with different amounts of cache enabled and different FSB settings? How
    would you assume a celeron is unstable? How can it suck?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 10, 2004
  9. JTJersey

    Pepperoni Guest

    Some boards will accept either, but not both at once. They have an extra
    set of slots.

    Pepperoni, Jan 10, 2004
  10. JTJersey

    Jovation Guest

    I too have the same dilemma, my board is K7S5A PRO, I think the question
    asked was whether 256 DDR would be as good as 512 SDRAM. I am contemplating
    buying another 256 SDRAM to make 512, Ore you saying that I would be better
    off just buying 256 DDR and scrapping the SDRAM

    Jovation, Jan 10, 2004
  11. JTJersey

    Thor Guest

    I think it would depend on your CPU speed. The other guy has a 2.4GHz chip.
    It may be a Celeron, but still at 2.4Ghz, SDRAM would be a big bottleneck in
    feeding that CPU. I think anything 2GHz and higher should be using DDR
    without question. It's well worth the extra money. I've seen the difference
    firsthand between a pair of systems with identical P4 CPUs but one with 512
    SDRAM and the other with 512 DDR, and there was simply no comparison. The
    DDR system was definitely faster. My advice is not to waste your money on
    buying another 256MB of SDRAM. Invest it in better memory to begin with
    instead of memory that is already obsolete. Spend the money on 512MB of DDR
    if you can.

    Thor, Jan 11, 2004