    Or go to college (i've noticed the courses provide a few certs as well)
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?T2hub2Vz?=, Aug 15, 2007

  2. Ohnoes,

    I want to first thank you for your service to the our great country. Second
    I would ask you this question, did you take part in the GI bill, I did while
    i was in the Army and when I got out it paid for all of my AS degree in
    Computer Programming. I think that either way you go it be of benifit but if
    you have the GI bill money I would use it all up first.

    KC

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?=, Aug 15, 2007

  3. Thanks Keith,

    I do have the GI bill thankfully. I'm leaning towards getting an AS with a
    few certs under my belt. It seems that would be the best bet.

    =?Utf-8?B?T2hub2Vz?=, Aug 15, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?T2hub2Vz?= <> wrote in

    > I do have the GI bill thankfully. I'm leaning towards getting an AS
    > with a few certs under my belt. It seems that would be the best bet.

    Priority 1) Degrees (as long as it is focused on your career path)
    Priority 2) Certs

    Red Swingline Stapler, Aug 15, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?T2hub2Vz?=

    Egghead Guest

    Degree is a must while you want to move up the ladder. However, I will do
    the certs first. After completed the MCSE/A+/???+ cets, I will go to get
    the degree. It is b'cos he has the exp already. He need something now. A
    Degree needs more than couple years to complete, and those certs only need
    around a year to complete. Therefore, get the certs then degree. Or, you can
    take the degree in one course per term while studying the certs. At the end,
    you need boths to move up :D

    --
    cheers,
    RL

    Egghead, Aug 15, 2007
  6. I also thank you for your service to our country.
    Why not kill two birds with one stone?
    There are several colleges that will give you college credit for your
    certification exams - the New York Regents University (or whatever they call
    it now) comes to mind. These can usually be used as electives at most
    colleges.
    Other colleges, such as one I am considering for graduate school, will
    accept certification exams as fulfilling the prerequisites for certain
    classes or as the requirement of the class itself (freeing up that
    requirement to allow you to take another elective class).
    Talk to a counselor at the colleges you are considering, and see who offers
    the best deal.
    Since it is probably too late to sign up for fall classes (at most colleges,
    anyway), you might want to spend the rest of the year studying for the
    certification exams that advance you most at the college of your choice, then
    start the college in the spring semester.
    Best wishes in whatever you decide to do - just do something!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlXZXN0TUNTRA==?=, Aug 17, 2007
  7. I taught and wrote curriculum for 15 years. I find it very hard to sit in a
    class while someone else is teaching. The pace is much too slow for me. I
    prefer the self-study method. But I think that most people befit from the
    structure that a class environment offers.

    Many Junior Colleges offer IT degrees that closely follow CompTIA and
    Microsoft Certification paths. They use the official curriculum making it
    easy for their students to take the relevant certification exams at the end
    of each semester.

    Harvey Colwell, Aug 23, 2007
  8. RE: A + MCSA/MCSE or College

    That is so true im 18 i have like 3 certs and i got them while i was
    in high school and im working in the IT deparment doing netowrking with
    cisco systems and novell and i do tech support

    =?Utf-8?B?cmViZGQ=?=, Aug 31, 2007