    <http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/dog_med.jpg>

    Thanks!

    -Steve

    sjs031, Sep 23, 2003

  2. sjs031

    Norm Guest

    Steve, great shot. Just goes to show you that it don't take a D60 to
    capture the moment.

    Norm, Sep 23, 2003

  3. sjs031

    sjs031 Guest

    Thanks Norm!

    I'm currently waiting for a Digital Rebel I ordered this weekend, but
    I'm going to keep the Minolta too, just because it's so small and easy
    to bring anywhere.

    -Steve

    sjs031, Sep 23, 2003
  4. sjs031

    Brothermark Guest

    > <http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/dog_med.jpg>
    > -Steve

    Nice shot.... kind of.
    It's amazing how much you can improve a shot just by crouching down.
    99% of photos are taken with the lens about 5ft - 6ft high..... why not mix
    it up?

    In this shot, if you'd have crouched, you'd have had the dog above the crowd
    which would have been much more effective.

    Mark

    Brothermark, Sep 23, 2003
  5. sjs031

    gr Guest

    "Brothermark" <> wrote

    > > <http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/dog_med.jpg>
    > > -Steve

    > Nice shot.... kind of.
    > It's amazing how much you can improve a shot just by crouching down.
    > 99% of photos are taken with the lens about 5ft - 6ft high..... why not

    mix
    > it up?
    >
    > In this shot, if you'd have crouched, you'd have had the dog above the

    crowd
    > which would have been much more effective.

    It would be a lot more effective if he didn't have that cluttered and
    distracting background. The picture is just way to crowded. The filtered
    sunlight also ruins the picture... highlights are blown out, and you can't
    even see the dog's face it's so under-exposed.

    gr, Sep 23, 2003
  6. > It would be a lot more effective if he didn't have that cluttered and
    > distracting background. The picture is just way to crowded. The filtered
    > sunlight also ruins the picture... highlights are blown out, and you can't
    > even see the dog's face it's so under-exposed.

    Get a life. It's taken with a 2MP digital with I'd guess no controls other
    than a button to take the photo.

    Gerard McGovern, Sep 23, 2003
  7. sjs031

    gr Guest

    "Gerard McGovern" <> wrote
    > > It would be a lot more effective if he didn't have that cluttered and
    > > distracting background. The picture is just way to crowded. The filtered
    > > sunlight also ruins the picture... highlights are blown out, and you

    can't
    > > even see the dog's face it's so under-exposed.

    > Get a life. It's taken with a 2MP digital with I'd guess no controls other
    > than a button to take the photo.

    He has full control over composition, which is the primary problem with the
    picture. Plus, even point&shoot cameras have exposure compensation, and
    there's always image-editing in software if all else fails. I think he spent
    far too much time trying to capture "the moment", without thinking about how
    the image would look. Clicking a shutter button without thinking doesn't
    usually make a good photo.

    gr, Sep 23, 2003
  8. sjs031

    Paul Heslop Guest

    sjs031 wrote:

    > Hey folks-
    >
    > Just wanted to share this photo I grabbed yesterday afternoon with my
    > Monolta Dimage X (2 MP). This camera has a pretty fast continuous
    > shooting mode, but I did take about 120 pics during this guy's frisbee
    > dog show and only this one is really worth anything.
    >
    > <http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/dog_med.jpg>
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -Steve

    One giant leap for dog-kind!
    --
    Paul. (Next in line , Close one eye, Just walk by)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Sep 23, 2003
  9. sjs031

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <220920031859148167%>, sjs031
    @sbcglobal.net says...
    > Hey folks-
    >
    > Just wanted to share this photo I grabbed yesterday afternoon with my
    > Monolta Dimage X (2 MP). This camera has a pretty fast continuous
    > shooting mode, but I did take about 120 pics during this guy's frisbee
    > dog show and only this one is really worth anything.
    >
    > <http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/dog_med.jpg>

    The shot is great, but I'm surprised that there are American flags
    everywhere. Did you take the shot on your national day ?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Sep 23, 2003
  10. sjs031

    JC Dill Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:13:08 -0400, "gr"
    <> wrote:

    >"Gerard McGovern" <> wrote
    >> > It would be a lot more effective if he didn't have that cluttered and
    >> > distracting background. The picture is just way to crowded. The filtered
    >> > sunlight also ruins the picture... highlights are blown out, and you

    >can't
    >> > even see the dog's face it's so under-exposed.

    >> Get a life. It's taken with a 2MP digital with I'd guess no controls other
    >> than a button to take the photo.

    >He has full control over composition, which is the primary problem with the
    >picture. Plus, even point&shoot cameras have exposure compensation, and
    >there's always image-editing in software if all else fails. I think he spent
    >far too much time trying to capture "the moment", without thinking about how
    >the image would look. Clicking a shutter button without thinking doesn't
    >usually make a good photo.

    Ditto.

    I shoot action photos too (horses). When I first got my digicam I
    took a lot of otherwise "good" pictures with cluttered backgrounds
    that aren't really any good at all. Learning from this experience, I
    now pay a lot more attention to where I position myself WRT the
    action, the background, and the light - so that when I DO capture "the
    moment", the resulting picture is worth showing.

    I had already been positioning myself WRT the action and the light,
    and I *know* about background but would forget when in the heat of
    trying to capture the action. Then I'd kick myself when I saw the
    photos and the cluttered background!

    jc

    JC Dill, Sep 23, 2003
  11. sjs031

    Jim Townsend Guest

    gr wrote:

    > "Gerard McGovern" <> wrote
    >> > It would be a lot more effective if he didn't have that cluttered and
    >> > distracting background. The picture is just way to crowded. The filtered
    >> > sunlight also ruins the picture... highlights are blown out, and you

    > can't
    >> > even see the dog's face it's so under-exposed.

    >> Get a life. It's taken with a 2MP digital with I'd guess no controls other
    >> than a button to take the photo.

    > He has full control over composition, which is the primary problem with the
    > picture. Plus, even point&shoot cameras have exposure compensation, and
    > there's always image-editing in software if all else fails.

    Oh for Pete's sake..

    The original poster just wanted to share a shot of a dog frozen in mid air the
    instant before it caught a frisbee in it's mouth. He was taking snapshots
    with a teenie little camera.. Not composing some great work to be shown in
    galleries.

    Sure it isn't technically perfect, but getting an image like that by sheer
    unplanned coincidence has to be quite a treat.

    I was impressed..

    Jim Townsend, Sep 23, 2003
  12. sjs031

    Jim Townsend Guest

    sjs031 wrote:

    > Thanks Norm!
    >
    > I'm currently waiting for a Digital Rebel I ordered this weekend, but
    > I'm going to keep the Minolta too, just because it's so small and easy
    > to bring anywhere.

    Definitely keep the Minolta..

    I have a Canon 10D.. But I've kept my little 2 MP Elph S100.. It's great
    having a small pocket camera to take along when the big one is just too
    awkward.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 23, 2003
  13. sjs031

    sjs031 Guest

    In article <>, Jim Townsend
    <> wrote:

    > gr wrote:
    >
    > > "Gerard McGovern" <> wrote

    > > can't
    > >>
    > >> Get a life. It's taken with a 2MP digital with I'd guess no controls other
    > >> than a button to take the photo.

    > > He has full control over composition, which is the primary problem with the
    > > picture. Plus, even point&shoot cameras have exposure compensation, and
    > > there's always image-editing in software if all else fails.

    > Oh for Pete's sake..
    >
    > The original poster just wanted to share a shot of a dog frozen in mid air the
    > instant before it caught a frisbee in it's mouth. He was taking snapshots
    > with a teenie little camera.. Not composing some great work to be shown in
    > galleries.
    >
    > Sure it isn't technically perfect, but getting an image like that by sheer
    > unplanned coincidence has to be quite a treat.
    >
    > I was impressed..

    Jim-

    Thanks. Yep, that was pretty much it. Just struck me as a lucky shot,
    and it was a treat to find a nice little keeper.

    -Steve

    sjs031, Sep 23, 2003
  14. Well said Jim, if they were stating they were professionals then hey
    critique away. Accually was a nice shot for the circumstances.

    Grace Frehley, Sep 23, 2003
  15. sjs031

    gr Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote

    > Oh for Pete's sake..
    >
    > The original poster just wanted to share a shot of a dog frozen in mid air

    the
    > instant before it caught a frisbee in it's mouth. He was taking snapshots
    > with a teenie little camera.. Not composing some great work to be shown in
    > galleries.

    If he chooses to share his pictures here, he should expect comments... good
    as well as bad. What is your problem with criticism? I never said, "IT
    SUKZ!" I explained exactly what was wrong with the picture and how he should
    improve.

    > Sure it isn't technically perfect, but getting an image like that by sheer
    > unplanned coincidence has to be quite a treat.

    He said he took 120 pictures! What how many pics does someone have to take
    before it isn't a "coincidence" in your opinion?!? I think he'd have been
    better off spending 30 seconds thinking about the composition, background,
    exposure, shadows, and taken 3 less pictures.

    > I was impressed..

    That's nice. Why do you feel my opinion is less relevant than yours?

    gr, Sep 23, 2003
  16. sjs031

    sjs031 Guest

    In article <>,
    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > In article <220920031859148167%>, sjs031
    > @sbcglobal.net says...
    > > Hey folks-
    > >
    > > Just wanted to share this photo I grabbed yesterday afternoon with my
    > > Monolta Dimage X (2 MP). This camera has a pretty fast continuous
    > > shooting mode, but I did take about 120 pics during this guy's frisbee
    > > dog show and only this one is really worth anything.
    > >
    > > <http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/dog_med.jpg>

    > The shot is great, but I'm surprised that there are American flags
    > everywhere. Did you take the shot on your national day ?

    No, it just so happened that the location for this Frisbee dog show had
    been decorated by some (I guess) very patriotic Americans!

    I took the picture on Sunday, Sep. 21. at Pet Expo:

    http://www.wwpsa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=232

    -Steve

    sjs031, Sep 23, 2003
  17. sjs031

    DHB Guest

    Steve,
    it's so easy to critique somebody's picture & point out all of the
    things that could have made it even better but none of that should detract
    you from understanding that these are just opinions.

    The timing of the picture & the dog's elevation off the ground makes it
    a keeper for sure. Could you have done better? Sure but sometimes what
    people forget is that the person (you) may have been with his family & or
    friends at an event & did not want to change location because spending
    quality time with the family was of higher priority than going roaming
    around for a location that might give you a less cluttered background etc.
    etc. etc.

    Nice picture, thank you for having the courage & courtesy to share it.
    Personally I think the main point here is to always have a small digital
    camera with you if you can because 1 never knows when a photographic
    opportunity will present itself. It's far better to have a fair quality
    picture taken of an unexpected or even expected event than to have a $4,000+
    camera & gear at home that could have taken a much better picture if only
    you had it with you.

    Last comment, I often take existing light pictures that leave much to be
    desired just so that I can look back years from now & see the encoded EXIF
    data that reminds me of where I was & when. The picture or pictures are not
    that important, what is important is the time I spent with family & friends,
    the pictures are just memory joggers.

    Thanks again for sharing your picture!

    DHB

    DHB, Sep 23, 2003
  18. sjs031

    sjs031 Guest

    In article <bkq6ha$4kkh3$-berlin.de>, gr
    <> wrote:

    > "Jim Townsend" <> wrote
    > >
    > > Oh for Pete's sake..
    > >
    > > The original poster just wanted to share a shot of a dog frozen in mid air

    > the
    > > instant before it caught a frisbee in it's mouth. He was taking snapshots
    > > with a teenie little camera.. Not composing some great work to be shown in
    > > galleries.

    > If he chooses to share his pictures here, he should expect comments... good
    > as well as bad. What is your problem with criticism? I never said, "IT
    > SUKZ!" I explained exactly what was wrong with the picture and how he should
    > improve.
    >

    > > Sure it isn't technically perfect, but getting an image like that by sheer
    > > unplanned coincidence has to be quite a treat.

    > He said he took 120 pictures! What how many pics does someone have to take
    > before it isn't a "coincidence" in your opinion?!? I think he'd have been
    > better off spending 30 seconds thinking about the composition, background,
    > exposure, shadows, and taken 3 less pictures.
    >

    > > I was impressed..

    > That's nice. Why do you feel my opinion is less relevant than yours?

    I don't know if you've ever tried to take pictures at a frisbee dog
    show, but if you wait 30 seconds for anything, you won't get a picture
    of a single thing. I have no "issue" with your criticism, and I know
    full well it's not the world's best photo. I just wanted to share a fun
    little snap I got with a pretty entry-level camera and some lucky
    timing.

    Cheers!

    -Steve

    sjs031, Sep 23, 2003
  19. sjs031

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:11:30 -0700, sjs031 <>
    wrote:

    >I don't know if you've ever tried to take pictures at a frisbee dog
    >show, but if you wait 30 seconds for anything, you won't get a picture
    >of a single thing. I have no "issue" with your criticism, and I know
    >full well it's not the world's best photo. I just wanted to share a fun
    >little snap I got with a pretty entry-level camera and some lucky
    >timing.

    I'm glad you did. I enjoyed having a look at it. :)

    Ms.Jaime

    Ms. Jaime, Sep 23, 2003
  20. sjs031

    George Kerby Guest

    The shot is GREAT. Timing could NOT have been better. Against the bright
    background is better than the "busy" tan fence or anything else I can see as
    an alternative. The direction of the dog's movement and angle would be
    diminished if anymore off-axis from the shooter's POV. The way this shot
    came off gets the point acroos. My eye went RIGHT TO the action and that was
    SJS's intent. I think a fill strobe would have helped - but with a two meg
    POS ay flash would do good beyond 5 feet, if it had it. So to the idiot that
    is trying to make a mountain out of a mouthful of Frisbee, blow it out your
    a-hole!
    WTG, SJS (or whatever your name is)!!!

    George Kerby, Sep 23, 2003