A little Avi2Dvd help please!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by snapper, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. snapper

    snapper Guest

    I need a little help in understanding the freeware program avi2dvd.
    Yes I am new at this stuff. I downloaded a movie file from usenet and
    it turned out to be of file type AVI. It is a Xvid codec (I hope I
    said the correctly). I want to be able to burn the file to a DVD from
    my computer and play it on my DVD player attached to my TV.

    After running the file through avi2dvd I am left with the following
    output in various directories.

    AudioStream 1 MP3 2CH.ac3 = 242,673 KB
    Avi2Dvd_Log.txt = 2KB
    Avisynth_Script_File.avs = 1KB
    BeSplit.txt = 1 KB
    BeSweet_AudioStream 1 MP3 2CH.ac3.txt = 2 KB
    DVD_Image.ISO = 880 KB
    VTS_01_0.VOB = 8 KB

    So what do I do now? I was under the impression that the ISO file was
    ready for burning but there is more to it. The movie is ~96 minutes
    in length and 880 KB doesn't cut it.

    I think I'm supposed to install Avisynth and run the script file
    through it but I want to ask first. I haven't read anything anywhere
    that say what to do after on runs Avi2DVD.

    Here's the script file:
    # Avisynth Script Made By Avi2Dvd
    AviSource("C:\Movie\The Descent.avi", false)
    ConvertToYV12()
    LanczosResize(720,432,0.0,0.6)
    AddBorders(0,72,0,72)

    It just seems strange to me that the AC3 file (sound) is larger than
    the ISO (movie) file. I guess I'm all screwed up.

    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    snapper, Aug 21, 2006

  2. snapper

    art2u Guest

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:49:35 -0700, snapper wrote:

    > I need a little help in understanding the freeware program avi2dvd.
    > Yes I am new at this stuff. I downloaded a movie file from usenet and
    > it turned out to be of file type AVI. It is a Xvid codec (I hope I
    > said the correctly). I want to be able to burn the file to a DVD from
    > my computer and play it on my DVD player attached to my TV.
    >
    > After running the file through avi2dvd I am left with the following
    > output in various directories.
    >
    > AudioStream 1 MP3 2CH.ac3 = 242,673 KB
    > Avi2Dvd_Log.txt = 2KB
    > Avisynth_Script_File.avs = 1KB
    > BeSplit.txt = 1 KB
    > BeSweet_AudioStream 1 MP3 2CH.ac3.txt = 2 KB
    > DVD_Image.ISO = 880 KB
    > VTS_01_0.VOB = 8 KB
    >
    > So what do I do now? I was under the impression that the ISO file was
    > ready for burning but there is more to it. The movie is ~96 minutes
    > in length and 880 KB doesn't cut it.
    >
    > I think I'm supposed to install Avisynth and run the script file
    > through it but I want to ask first. I haven't read anything anywhere
    > that say what to do after on runs Avi2DVD.
    >
    > Here's the script file:
    > # Avisynth Script Made By Avi2Dvd
    > AviSource("C:\Movie\The Descent.avi", false)
    > ConvertToYV12()
    > LanczosResize(720,432,0.0,0.6)
    > AddBorders(0,72,0,72)
    >
    > It just seems strange to me that the AC3 file (sound) is larger than
    > the ISO (movie) file. I guess I'm all screwed up.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any replies.

    use this instead, a lot easier to use:

    VSO DivxToDVD 0.5.2b (last freeware version)
    http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/Audio-Video/vsoDivxToDVD.html

    DivxToDVD converts your movie files from a wide range of formats (AVI,
    XVID, MPEG, and DIVX) to compliant DVD structures (VOB and IFO).

    --
    -Art- (not Art)
    art2u, Aug 21, 2006

  3. snapper

    Bob Guest

    try the Wondershare Video to DVD Burner
    it is very nice and very easy to use
    you can get it here
    http://www.dvd-ripper-copy.com/video-to-dvd.html
    and a very specific guide is here
    http://www.dvd-ripper-copy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338

    Bob, Aug 21, 2006
  4. snapper

    snapper Guest

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:29:19 -0400, art2u <> wrote:

    Thanks Art

    Amazing piece of software. It took about 30 minutes compared to the
    four hours avi2dvd took to give me nothing. I just might have to buy
    the commercial version after a few more tests.

    Take care

    snapper, Aug 21, 2006
  5. snapper

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:37:57 -0700, snapper <> wrote:

    >Amazing piece of software. It took about 30 minutes compared to the
    >four hours avi2dvd took to give me nothing. I just might have to buy
    >the commercial version after a few more tests.

    The commercial version, called ConvertXtoDVD, includes multiple file
    entries so you can set up a long-winded project and it includes
    limited DVD authoring, in particular the automatic creation of a menu.
    It also allows you to include subtitle files, set chapter lengths,
    etc.

    However, I still think you should consider getting a DVDR that plays
    AVI files so you can burn them directly onto the DVD disc as a
    so-called "data disc". You can get a lot more content on a disc and
    navigation is so much simpler - just select the filename from a
    familiar single-column file tree,

    For some unexplained reason the bitrate of the resulting MPG2 (VOB)
    file is about twice that of the original AVI file. This causes the VOB
    to be at least twice as large which seems like a waste of space.

    --

    Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.
    Bob, Aug 21, 2006
  6. snapper

    firex4icex

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Shorter Movie Length

    Can someone please help me?

    I download a movie with uTorrent

    Once downloaded I can view the whole move in entire length on Windows Media Player

    I take the file and use AVI2DVD

    After this is completed and I open the file in DVD Shrink the movie is shorter in length

    Can someone tell me why this is and how I can correct it?

    Thank you
    firex4icex, Apr 21, 2007