A list of Announced Blu/HD DVD Players... with pricing...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Announced Players

    Toshiba, HD-XA1, $800, HD DVD, March
    Toshiba, HD-A1, $500, HD DVD, March
    Pioneer Elite, BDP-HD1, $1800, Blu-ray Disc, April
    Samsung, BD-1000, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, April
    Panasonic, N/A, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, June
    Sony, BDP-S1, $1000(according to thedigitalbits), Blu-ray Disc, June
    Philips, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    Sharp, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    LG Electronics, HD199, N/A, HD DVD, TBD
    LG Electronics, BD199, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, TBD
    RCA, HDV-5000. $500, Blu-ray Disc, April

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 10, 2006

  2. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    Where is this from? The RCA is Hd DVD.

    http://news.com.com/Blu-Ray, HD DVD players clunky, unimpressive/2100-1041_3-6024750.html

    Alpha, Jan 10, 2006

  3. Allan

    Eaton Wings Guest

    Allan <> wrote in

    > Announced Players
    >
    > Toshiba, HD-XA1, $800, HD DVD, March
    > Toshiba, HD-A1, $500, HD DVD, March
    > Pioneer Elite, BDP-HD1, $1800, Blu-ray Disc, April
    > Samsung, BD-1000, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, April
    > Panasonic, N/A, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, June
    > Sony, BDP-S1, $1000(according to thedigitalbits), Blu-ray Disc, June
    > Philips, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    > Sharp, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    > LG Electronics, HD199, N/A, HD DVD, TBD
    > LG Electronics, BD199, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, TBD
    > RCA, HDV-5000. $500, Blu-ray Disc, April

    I think I'll wait till the Apex's and Recoton's of the world join the fray.

    Eaton Wings, Jan 10, 2006
  4. Allan

    Large Farva Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > Announced Players
    >
    > Toshiba, HD-XA1, $800, HD DVD, March
    > Toshiba, HD-A1, $500, HD DVD, March
    > Pioneer Elite, BDP-HD1, $1800, Blu-ray Disc, April
    > Samsung, BD-1000, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, April
    > Panasonic, N/A, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, June
    > Sony, BDP-S1, $1000(according to thedigitalbits), Blu-ray Disc, June
    > Philips, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    > Sharp, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    > LG Electronics, HD199, N/A, HD DVD, TBD
    > LG Electronics, BD199, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, TBD
    > RCA, HDV-5000. $500, Blu-ray Disc, April

    When will the recorders hit the shelves?

    Large Farva, Jan 10, 2006
  5. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:50:39 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >Where is this from? The RCA is Hd DVD.

    My Bad. Typing error:

    Revised LIst:

    Announced Players

    Toshiba, HD-XA1, $800, HD DVD, March
    Toshiba, HD-A1, $500, HD DVD, March
    Pioneer Elite, BDP-HD1, $1800, Blu-ray Disc, April
    Samsung, BD-1000, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, April
    Panasonic, N/A, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, June
    Sony, BDP-S1, $1000(according to thedigitalbits), Blu-ray Disc, June
    Philips, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    Sharp, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    LG Electronics, HD199, N/A, HD DVD, TBD
    LG Electronics, BD199, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, TBD
    RCA, HDV-5000. $500, HD DVD, April

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 10, 2006
  6. Allan

    askuiper Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:19:13 GMT, "Large Farva" <>
    wrote:

    >"Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> Announced Players
    >>
    >> Toshiba, HD-XA1, $800, HD DVD, March
    >> Toshiba, HD-A1, $500, HD DVD, March
    >> Pioneer Elite, BDP-HD1, $1800, Blu-ray Disc, April
    >> Samsung, BD-1000, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, April
    >> Panasonic, N/A, $1000, Blu-ray Disc, June
    >> Sony, BDP-S1, $1000(according to thedigitalbits), Blu-ray Disc, June
    >> Philips, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    >> Sharp, N/A, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, June+
    >> LG Electronics, HD199, N/A, HD DVD, TBD
    >> LG Electronics, BD199, N/A, Blu-ray Disc, TBD
    >> RCA, HDV-5000. $500, Blu-ray Disc, April

    >When will the recorders hit the shelves?

    Just curious.....are we back to a Beta vs VHS situation?
    If so, I'm gonna wait a LONG time!!!

    Adrian

    askuiper, Jan 11, 2006
  7. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    askuiper <> wrote:

    > Just curious.....are we back to a Beta vs VHS situation?
    > If so, I'm gonna wait a LONG time!!!

    1976: Sony vs JVC

    2006: Sony vs Toshiba

    Yep, it's Beta vs VHS for the 21st century..

    Black Locust, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:46:30 -0600, Black Locust <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > askuiper <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just curious.....are we back to a Beta vs VHS situation?
    >> If so, I'm gonna wait a LONG time!!!

    >1976: Sony vs JVC
    >
    >2006: Sony vs Toshiba
    >
    >Yep, it's Beta vs VHS for the 21st century..

    There are Three very different, and very successful Video Game formats
    out there right now, and they seem to be doing just fine.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    Allan <> wrote:

    > There are Three very different, and very successful Video Game formats
    > out there right now, and they seem to be doing just fine.

    Well then, I guess it's too bad the two HD formats aren't different
    enough from each other for both to survive the long haul. Just as
    Betamax wasn't different enough from VHS to survive...

    Black Locust, Jan 13, 2006
  10. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:02:40 -0600, Black Locust <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Allan <> wrote:
    >
    >> There are Three very different, and very successful Video Game formats
    >> out there right now, and they seem to be doing just fine.

    >Well then, I guess it's too bad the two HD formats aren't different
    >enough from each other for both to survive the long haul. Just as
    >Betamax wasn't different enough from VHS to survive...

    So EA's MVP 06 NCAA® Baseball on the XBOX and MVP 06 NCAA® Baseball
    on the PS2 are "Different"?

    Difference? Game Console. Not much more. XBOX has some exclusive
    Games, PS2 does as well. But there are many games that they share.

    Could be the way HD goes.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 13, 2006
  11. Allan

    Goro Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:02:40 -0600, Black Locust <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Allan <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> There are Three very different, and very successful Video Game formats
    > >> out there right now, and they seem to be doing just fine.

    > >Well then, I guess it's too bad the two HD formats aren't different
    > >enough from each other for both to survive the long haul. Just as
    > >Betamax wasn't different enough from VHS to survive...

    > So EA's MVP 06 NCAA® Baseball on the XBOX and MVP 06 NCAA® Baseball
    > on the PS2 are "Different"?
    >
    > Difference? Game Console. Not much more. XBOX has some exclusive
    > Games, PS2 does as well. But there are many games that they share.
    >
    > Could be the way HD goes.

    What's the market penetration of console games v. dvd players?

    Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious. I'd suspect that DVD
    players (and DVDs themselves) far outpace consoles. If that's true,
    then it would be difficult to extrapolate general behavior patterns
    from a sample represented by console gamers.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 13, 2006
  12. Allan

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Goro () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > What's the market penetration of console games v. dvd players?
    >
    > Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious. I'd suspect that DVD
    > players (and DVDs themselves) far outpace consoles.

    And, even if all consoles together count close to DVD player counts, no
    single console comes close to DVD player counts. In other words, no single
    console format comes close to the single DVD format in market penetration.

    For end users, though, if combo BluRay/HD-DVD players become the norm, it
    really won't matter which format is better/wins/etc. This sort of combo
    player is likely to happen, but a combo console will never happen, so I
    think we're talking about some completely different circumstances.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Hey, dogs guard.

    Jeff Rife, Jan 13, 2006
  13. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > And, even if all consoles together count close to DVD player counts,
    > no
    > single console comes close to DVD player counts. In other words, no
    > single
    > console format comes close to the single DVD format in market
    > penetration.
    >
    > For end users, though, if combo BluRay/HD-DVD players become the norm,
    > it
    > really won't matter which format is better/wins/etc. This sort of
    > combo
    > player is likely to happen, but a combo console will never happen, so
    > think we're talking about some completely different circumstances.

    Samsung just announced that they are abandoning their plans to build a
    Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo player, citing legal agreements, intellectual
    property issues, and technological pride from both camps.

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6024875.html

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 14, 2006
  14. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    >> And, even if all consoles together count close to DVD player counts, no
    >> single console comes close to DVD player counts. In other words, no
    >> single
    >> console format comes close to the single DVD format in market
    >> penetration.
    >>
    >> For end users, though, if combo BluRay/HD-DVD players become the norm, it
    >> really won't matter which format is better/wins/etc. This sort of combo
    >> player is likely to happen, but a combo console will never happen, so I
    >> think we're talking about some completely different circumstances.

    > Samsung just announced that they are abandoning their plans to build a
    > Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo player, citing legal agreements, intellectual
    > property issues, and technological pride from both camps.
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6024875.html

    <EFG> LOL I told everyone that this would be the result!

    Alpha, Jan 14, 2006
  15. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:51:56 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    ><EFG> LOL I told everyone that this would be the result!

    No... actually you said:

    "Please shut up....you know nothing about it at all. From a
    scientific standpoint it is very difficult. Non trivial. Expensive."

    Which is complete Bull.

    You also said that all "HD" machines would NEED a internet connection
    to work.... which is also wrong.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 14, 2006
  16. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 13 Jan 2006 06:22:00 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >What's the market penetration of console games v. dvd players?
    >
    >Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious. I'd suspect that DVD
    >players (and DVDs themselves) far outpace consoles.

    Well...

    http://www.video-games-survey.com/consoles.htm

    Total Video Game Console Global Shipments by Model - up to end 2003

    Model

    Units Shipped (mn)

    Year Introduced

    Sony PlayStation 1

    Sony PlayStation 2

    Nintendo GameCube

    Nintendo GameBoy

    Nintendo GameBoy Advance / SP

    48

    2001 / 2003

    Nintendo N64

    Microsoft Xbox

    Sega Dreamcast

    Bandai WonderSwan

    (Sorry the cut and paste is ugly.... check the link for a better Idea)

    Basically... end of 2003... there were 399 million "Video Game
    Console Global Shipments".

    Not having much luck finding the number of DVD players out there at
    the end of 2003. Can anybody help?

    >If that's true,
    >then it would be difficult to extrapolate general behavior patterns
    >from a sample represented by console gamers.

    May not be true... just can't find the number tonight!! D!oh

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 14, 2006
  17. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:32:20 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >And, even if all consoles together count close to DVD player counts, no
    >single console comes close to DVD player counts. In other words, no single
    >console format comes close to the single DVD format in market penetration.

    http://www.video-games-survey.com/consoles.htm

    Nintendo GameBoy

    Well...121 million units at the end of 2003.. How many DVD players
    were sold at that point?

    >For end users, though, if combo BluRay/HD-DVD players become the norm, it
    >really won't matter which format is better/wins/etc. This sort of combo
    >player is likely to happen, but a combo console will never happen, so I
    >think we're talking about some completely different circumstances.

    Well there is generally backwards compatibility between the consoles,
    but yeah.. a combo unit where Playstation 2 and Xbox games play with
    no problem is not going to happen.

    Just tired of the "VHS / Beta" cries. Both HD DVD and Blu-Ray are
    coming, that's a fact. Not 100% that one format has to kill the other
    to "Win". "Software" often crosses many platforms.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 14, 2006
  18. Allan

    Goro Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:32:20 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:
    >
    > >And, even if all consoles together count close to DVD player counts, no
    > >single console comes close to DVD player counts. In other words, no single
    > >console format comes close to the single DVD format in market penetration.

    > http://www.video-games-survey.com/consoles.htm
    >
    > Nintendo GameBoy
    >
    > 121
    >
    > 1989
    >
    > Well...121 million units at the end of 2003.. How many DVD players
    > were sold at that point?
    >
    > >For end users, though, if combo BluRay/HD-DVD players become the norm, it
    > >really won't matter which format is better/wins/etc. This sort of combo
    > >player is likely to happen, but a combo console will never happen, so I
    > >think we're talking about some completely different circumstances.

    > Well there is generally backwards compatibility between the consoles,
    > but yeah.. a combo unit where Playstation 2 and Xbox games play with
    > no problem is not going to happen.
    >
    > Just tired of the "VHS / Beta" cries. Both HD DVD and Blu-Ray are
    > coming, that's a fact. Not 100% that one format has to kill the other
    > to "Win". "Software" often crosses many platforms.

    some interesting info/numbers there, although hard to grok without some
    other numbers to compare it to.

    My main point, however obtuse it was, is that the target audience for a
    home video unit is different thanthe demo for a video game console. I
    think console buyers (a) ARE early adopters. Whichever comes out first
    has a big advantage. (b) Are very comfortable with the idea of
    multiple formats and (c) are happy to research and assess strengths
    and weaknesses of differnet consoles and (d) are more than moderately
    willing to buy both.

    I'd bet that the typical console gamer has more than 3 consoles
    somehwat in his/her possession. A couple are likely older consoles
    tossed away in a closet and perhaps 2 active ones.

    I think XBox360 v PS3 is well-understood by gamers and doesn't really
    cause confusion (just antagonism!).

    The targetr for DVD units however is different. "Joe moviewatcher"
    doesn't want to really know about technical details. He wants to just
    plug the $50 dvd player into his TV. He doesn't care about Coax v
    Component v HDMI v DVI v DVI+HDCP. He doesnt' want to know about 480p
    720p 1080i 1080p etc. He even doesn't really care about anamorphic v
    letterbox and only somewhat cares about P&S v Letterbox. All he wants
    to do is wtch the movie.

    Althouhgh in the initial iterations, the targets are really the early
    adopters and the ones that DO care. I'm really tempted to get one of
    each and see how they compare as i really DO want to get a HD format.
    Still, I've said before that I'll hold off early adopting this time and
    i mean to stay tru to my word... I'll at least wait until the units are
    out and early word/reviews come out. Maybe I'll dive in with the 2nd
    gen units.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 14, 2006
  19. Allan

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Allan () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > http://www.video-games-survey.com/consoles.htm
    >
    > Well...121 million units at the end of 2003..

    Basically 100M worldwide for any single format, give or take.

    > How many DVD players
    > were sold at that point?

    Probably well over 500 million worldwide:

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/cemadvdsales.html

    --
    Jeff Rife | "If the world were destroyed and you were the

    Jeff Rife, Jan 14, 2006
  20. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    >><EFG> LOL I told everyone that this would be the result!

    > No... actually you said:
    >
    > "Please shut up....you know nothing about it at all. From a
    > scientific standpoint it is very difficult. Non trivial. Expensive."
    >
    > Which is complete Bull.

    Which is still precisely correct. From a technical standpoint, building
    an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player would be no problem at all. All of the issues
    preventing one from happening are purely legal in nature.

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 14, 2006