    and says ": "Can't find Software Phone", and I can't dial an extension
    or receive a call. Does anyone know how to get this thingie to work?

    Thank you!

    Vincent Delporte, Oct 6, 2006

  2. On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:33:08 +0200, Vincent Delporte <>
    wrote:
    >But... the X-TenMate icon in the task bar changes from green to gray
    >and says ": "Can't find Software Phone", and I can't dial an extension
    >or receive a call. Does anyone know how to get this thingie to work?

    Made some progress: Those *Mate utities are required for USB phones.
    The one provided by A-Link is out of date. An updated can be found at
    http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp which...

    - will sort of work with X-Lite 3: I can receive a call, but not call
    an extension, as it sends crappy numbers to the application :

    http://codecomplete.free.fr/a-link_crap_numbers.jpg

    Tried on another, more recent computer, same issue.

    - won't work with EyeBeam 1.5.5.1: "Can't find software". Looks like
    it won't work with EB 1.5 and above.

    Anybody has a more recent version of X-TenMate or a work-around for
    the crap characters issue?

    Vincent Delporte, Oct 6, 2006

  3. Vincent Delporte

    Thufir Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:33:08 +0200, Vincent Delporte wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I just bought this USB VoIP phone
    > (http://www.a-link.com/avaks/images/items/upi1a.jpg), but I'm stuck at
    > how to actually use it (Windows2003 Server). Support is nothing more
    > than can be found at http://support.a-link.com/phonemate/IPU1.htm :

    [...]

    Looking at <http://support.a-link.com/phonemate/IPU1.htm> I see that the
    device, apparently, works with linux!? You're running forte, and, hence,
    windows? Have you tried it with linux?

    -Thufir

    Thufir, Nov 4, 2006
  4. On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 20:53:30 GMT, Thufir <>
    wrote:
    >Looking at <http://support.a-link.com/phonemate/IPU1.htm> I see that the
    >device, apparently, works with linux!? You're running forte, and, hence,
    >windows? Have you tried it with linux?

    I don't use Linux on the client host, and I would be very surprized if
    a cheap USB phone like that would have a driver for Linux. It's
    basically a remote phone card that requires an applet to work with an
    SIP application. Nothing like a real SIP phone.

    Vincent Delporte, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Vincent Delporte

    Thufir Guest

    From: "Tero Nordman" <>
    To: <>
    Subject: VL: Thank you for your order #99501761!
    Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:36:10 +0200

    Dear Sir,

    IPU1 and IPU2 can operate in Linux with any SIP software. You can make
    calls with any SIP software in Linux, but IPU1 or IPU2 keybad do not =
    work.
    Only Skype for Linux have Skypemate software to enable keybad for
    linux/Skype use.

    Best Regards:

    Tero Nordman
    A-Link Europe Ltd
    Email:
    Web: http://www.a-link.com'

    Now, I think I'm also seeing the same "phone" at:

    <http://pclee.idv.tw/peter/product_info.php?cPath=1_41&products_id=103&osCsid=f45628e3d6c648dd5364418e8abaf960>
    <http://www.yealink.com/english/prodetail_p1k.htm>

    But it's hard to know who the OEM is.

    -Thufir

    Thufir, Nov 7, 2006
  6. On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:55:23 GMT, Thufir <>
    wrote:
    >It's rather odd. A-link wrote to me:

    But that, they probably meant that, in the absolute, since that phone
    is a USB phonecard, you can develop a driver that will be the
    interface between the phone and any SIP application running on the
    computer.

    If you go to their site, you won't find anything for platforms other
    than Windows. And even then, they only provide the applet for three
    SIP clients (X-Lite which is buggy as of now, SJPhone, Skype).

    Care to develop that application for Linux? ;-)

    ><http://www.yealink.com/english/prodetail_p1k.htm>
    >
    >But it's hard to know who the OEM is.

    As far as I can tell, Yealink = A-Link.

    Vincent Delporte, Nov 7, 2006
  7. Vincent Delporte

    Thufir Guest

    Vincent Delporte wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:55:23 GMT, Thufir <>
    > wrote:
    > >It's rather odd. A-link wrote to me:

    > But that, they probably meant that, in the absolute, since that phone
    > is a USB phonecard, you can develop a driver that will be the
    > interface between the phone and any SIP application running on the
    > computer.

    [...]
    > ><http://www.yealink.com/english/prodetail_p1k.htm>

    [...]

    No, I don't have the skills. But I'm curious as to why all this wasn't
    developed in Java. Or, wouldn't that have made a difference because it
    relates to hardware?

    -Thufir

    Thufir, Nov 7, 2006
  8. On 7 Nov 2006 14:28:14 -0800, "Thufir" <> wrote:
    >No, I don't have the skills. But I'm curious as to why all this wasn't
    >developed in Java. Or, wouldn't that have made a difference because it
    >relates to hardware?

    Java is crap :) Fat, slow, and besides, 95% of users have Windows, so
    it doesn't make economic sense.

    Besides, USB phones are marketed as a cheaper alternative to real IP
    phones like those from GrandStream or Cisco, so you can't really
    expect the same quality.

    The A-Link is OK, but I'll buy hardphones instead.

    Vincent Delporte, Nov 7, 2006
  9. Vincent Delporte

    Thufir Guest

    Vincent Delporte wrote:
    [...]
    > Java is crap :) Fat, slow, and besides, 95% of users have Windows, so
    > it doesn't make economic sense.

    Yeah, but it's cross platform. Anyhoo...

    > Besides, USB phones are marketed as a cheaper alternative to real IP
    > phones like those from GrandStream or Cisco, so you can't really
    > expect the same quality.
    >
    > The A-Link is OK, but I'll buy hardphones instead.

    Absolutely. I was going to get the grandstream, but I'm behind a
    firewall and router and am not the system admin. So, skype looks good
    as it's a known factor.

    In fact, I just got off the phone (or is it the "skype device"?) with
    ?Peter?, who's in Taiwan. First time I've spoken with anyone in Taiwan
    :)

    For the record, his contact info is at:
    <http://wincpu.googlepages.com/>.

    He's going to send me a pay-pal invoice, I'll see what sort of price he
    gives. The bonus to this phone is that I can at least play around with
    SIP, although I'll probably need IAX. The people who hack the nslu-2
    "slug", and put asterisk on it, mention this phone. Although I don't
    see how it can do anything useful with asterisk, I'll get a chance to
    find out :)

    -Thufir

    Thufir, Nov 9, 2006
  10. Vincent Delporte

    Halle93659 Guest

    How many

    How many people actually read these forums

    Halle93659, Nov 24, 2006