A laugh

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Got an email invitation to apply for a Support Admin Contract today,
    despite my South Island one going west to an internal promotion I gave
    this one a very quick Thanks, But NO THANKS.

    Why, well first the HR person emails with outlook express using HTML
    Stationary and a custom non standard font, Second the help desk level 1
    is the Receptionist, Third a little line in the contract description
    that said "where ever possible the organisations business will be
    conducted in Te Reo Maori" making it definately not my scene when they
    already have a bad IT infrastructure and habits and expect me to deal
    with people in Maori.

    As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
    Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
    thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
    would be mouse.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Collector»NZ

    Rider Guest

    > As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
    > Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
    > thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
    > would be mouse.
    > --

    TE mail
    TE thernet
    Te Network
    Te Word Processor

    ..... I think you can work out the rest.

    Rider, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Collector»NZ

    EMB Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
    > Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
    > thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
    > would be mouse.

    Te chnology

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 25, 2005
  4. On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:52:12 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    er..
    spacies bro
    got a twenny?

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 25, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ

    cowboyz Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    >> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
    >> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
    >> thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
    >> would be mouse.
    >> --

    > TE mail
    > TE thernet
    > Te Network
    > Te Word Processor
    >
    > .... I think you can work out the rest.

    Don't be culturally insensitive. I have dealt with various peopleof
    european and maori decent and computer hardware is called the same in both
    languages.

    Email, ethernet,network are all called "internet"
    wordprocessor is called "thingy"
    monitor is called "what-you-call-it"
    CDrom, power switch, Hard drive,gfx card,sound card are all called "CPU"

    Hope this helps.

    cowboyz, Feb 25, 2005
  6. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
    > Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
    > thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
    > would be mouse.

    email
    electronic = mìhini hiko
    mail = mèra or you can use reta
    so I guess "mera mihini hiko"
    ethernet = ok, nothing doing here... heh, tether-net is herea-kupenga
    network = whatunga or you can use hononga
    wordprocessor = well NZ maori isn't a written language, so kinda hard, but
    word = kupu
    processor = not found
    processing = mahi so processing of words is "mahi kupu"
    monitor = pane whakaata
    CD is a compact disk, so = porotiti whàiti
    power = hiko, switch = pana, so = pana hiko
    computer = rorohiko

    mouse = kiore

    all found here.
    http://www.learningmedia.co.nz/ngata/

    theres always someone willing to go too far... today, it's me :)

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 25, 2005
  7. cowboyz wrote:
    > CDrom, power switch, Hard drive,gfx card,sound card are all called "CPU"

    heh, or the modem... I wish I could strangle people who called it the modem.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 25, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 25/02/2005 5:27 p.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
    >> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the
    >> only thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word
    >> for would be mouse.

    > email
    > electronic = mìhini hiko
    > mail = mèra or you can use reta
    > so I guess "mera mihini hiko"
    > ethernet = ok, nothing doing here... heh, tether-net is herea-kupenga
    > network = whatunga or you can use hononga
    > wordprocessor = well NZ maori isn't a written language, so kinda hard, but
    > word = kupu
    > processor = not found
    > processing = mahi so processing of words is "mahi kupu"
    > monitor = pane whakaata
    > CD is a compact disk, so = porotiti whàiti
    > power = hiko, switch = pana, so = pana hiko
    > computer = rorohiko
    >
    > mouse = kiore
    >
    > all found here.
    > http://www.learningmedia.co.nz/ngata/
    >
    > theres always someone willing to go too far... today, it's me :)

    **** right now you should be glad that that you are so far away from me :cool:

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 25, 2005
  9. Collector»NZ said the following on 25/02/2005 5:37 p.m.:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 25/02/2005 5:27 p.m.:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
    >>> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the
    >>> only thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori
    >>> word for would be mouse.

    >> email
    >> electronic = mìhini hiko
    >> mail = mèra or you can use reta
    >> so I guess "mera mihini hiko"

    Eh what a whole sentence to say email no wonder there hui,s and tangi's
    last so long it takes so long to convey a simple message. :)

    Collector»NZ, Feb 25, 2005
  10. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> email
    >>> electronic = mìhini hiko
    >>> mail = mèra or you can use reta
    >>> so I guess "mera mihini hiko"

    > Eh what a whole sentence to say email no wonder there hui,s and tangi's
    > last so long it takes so long to convey a simple message. :)

    well email is an abreviation of electronic mail, and so I had to use the
    full word to get it to work...
    I guess it could be "mera hiko" or "electric mail" but that doesnt quite
    sound right.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 25, 2005
  11. Collector»NZ

    Jedmeister Guest

    hey dude, you were on the pigs back with this job.

    Jedmeister, Feb 25, 2005
  12. > As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
    > Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
    > thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
    > would be mouse.

    As mentioned, you'll probably find that the Maori language, amongst
    others, has evolved for the creation of new words.

    Like, where was the english word email or ethernet 100 years ago ???
    Don't remember seeing Mary Poppins commenting about how a spoon full of
    sugar helps the ethernet deliver packets.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Feb 25, 2005
  13. Collector»NZ

    Rider Guest

    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> CDrom, power switch, Hard drive,gfx card,sound card are all called "CPU"

    > heh, or the modem... I wish I could strangle people who called it the
    > modem.

    Don't you just love them. I had a woman who thought if I turned her monitor
    off, she would lose all her unsaved data

    LoL

    Rider

    Rider, Feb 25, 2005
  14. Steve Marshall, Feb 25, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 25, 2005
  16. Collector»NZ

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <cvo35t$f75$>, -=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:
    >> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
    >> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
    >> thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
    >> would be mouse.

    > As mentioned, you'll probably find that the Maori language, amongst
    > others, has evolved for the creation of new words.
    >
    > Like, where was the english word email or ethernet 100 years ago ???
    > Don't remember seeing Mary Poppins commenting about how a spoon full of
    > sugar helps the ethernet deliver packets.

    <pedant>
    Frames, ethernet delivers frames. You need the IP to deliver packets.
    </pedant>

    ChrisOD, Feb 26, 2005
  17. > <pedant>
    > Frames, ethernet delivers frames. You need the IP to deliver packets.
    > </pedant>

    :)

    You win.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Feb 27, 2005