A Kodak comment about a Sigma lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Kilpatrick, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Received from Kodak UK in the context of a reader asking questions about
    the SLR/n and lens choice. I leave the Kodakky bits in, proves nothing,
    but all those Sigma-knockers out there might suggest I make this stuff
    up. Not so. - David

    In our opinion and that of some other testers the Sigma 24 - 70mm 2.8 is a
    cracker!
    A bit clunky perhaps compared to Nikon but it gives results.

    Martin
    The information in this e-mail is the property of Kodak and may be
    confidential. It is intended for the named recipient only. If you have
    received it in error please inform the sender and delete the message -
    thank you. Please note that neither Kodak nor the sender accepts any
    responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan the
    e-mail and any attachments.

    Kodak Limited. Registered Office: Kodak House, Station Road, Hemel
    Hempstead, Herts.
    Registration no. 59535 London

    ----- Forwarded by Martin J Wood/966538/GreatBritain/Europe/EKC on
    09/07/2004 13:58 -----
    David Kilpatrick, Jul 9, 2004

  2. Note: Any posters having anything good to say about any Sigma product should
    be ignored. A sad state of affairs...but that is the truth of it. Don't
    believe me....look to see what other subjects David Kilpatrick has
    contributed to. There are one or more persons who post under a variety of
    names who only come on to spread demonstrably false information about the
    merits of Sigma. So much of what they write is provably wrong that all that
    they have to say has to be questioned.....or ignored.

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 9, 2004

  3. David Kilpatrick

    Carrigman Guest

    It'll be a cold day in hell when I ignore what David Kilpatrick has to say
    on anything photographic.

    John

    Carrigman, Jul 9, 2004
  4. "Carrigman" <carrigman@DEATHTO SPAMMERShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It'll be a cold day in hell when I ignore what David Kilpatrick has to say
    > on anything photographic.
    >
    > John

    I will second that !

    On the Sigma issue, I really do despair of the posters who have opinions,
    but state them as if they were god given facts.
    I have both Sigma and Nikon lenses, and I am very happy with both the Sigma
    15-30 and 70-200 f.2.8 that I have. The Nikon 28-105 is also excellent in
    my *OPINION*

    In my case the FACTS are that I have bought two Sigma lenses that I consider
    excellent for my purposes and in a price range that I was comfortable with.
    Another Fact is that I had a Nikon 70-300 lens that I thought was pretty
    hopeless. I would extrapolate this single fact to a general opinion that
    castigates Nikon as a rubbish manufacturer.

    I take note of all opinions, particularly if based on substance, but I value
    the opinions of David Kilpatrick who has given the impression of having a
    wide range of hard experience to base his opinions on. I wish I could feel
    the same way about the opinions expressed by the blinkered Sigma detractors
    and of course the ever re-incarnating blinkered Sigma champion.

    Of course this is just my opinion :)

    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 9, 2004
  5. "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:ccmqkt$gsq$...

    <snipped>....
    > I would extrapolate this single fact to a general opinion that
    > castigates Nikon as a rubbish manufacturer.

    Correction....

    Sorry. I meant of course ....

    I would NOT extrapolate this single fact to a general opinion that

    Dennis Bradley, Jul 9, 2004
  6. David Kilpatrick

    Zebedee Guest

    "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:ccmqkt$gsq$...
    > On the Sigma issue, I really do despair of the posters who have opinions,
    > but state them as if they were god given facts.
    > I have both Sigma and Nikon lenses, and I am very happy with both the

    Sigma
    > 15-30 and 70-200 f.2.8 that I have. The Nikon 28-105 is also excellent in
    > my *OPINION*

    Ok. My opinion:

    I once owned a Sigma F8 Mirror lens. It was pretty good although atmospheric
    distortion seemed amplified.

    I have seen sample pictures taken with a sigma 15-30 that have been sharp
    except for one patch on the bottom right. That could have been a dicky
    Foveon sensor but I rather suspect the lens.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)
    Zebedee, Jul 9, 2004
  7. "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:ccmqkt$gsq$...
    > > On the Sigma issue, I really do despair of the posters who have

    opinions,
    > > but state them as if they were god given facts.
    > > I have both Sigma and Nikon lenses, and I am very happy with both the

    > Sigma
    > > 15-30 and 70-200 f.2.8 that I have. The Nikon 28-105 is also excellent

    in
    > > my *OPINION*

    > Ok. My opinion:
    >
    > I once owned a Sigma F8 Mirror lens. It was pretty good although

    atmospheric
    > distortion seemed amplified.
    >
    > I have seen sample pictures taken with a sigma 15-30 that have been sharp
    > except for one patch on the bottom right. That could have been a dicky
    > Foveon sensor but I rather suspect the lens.
    >
    > --
    > Yours
    >
    > Zebedee

    Have not noticed any bad spots on any of my lenses. I am using mine on a
    Fuji S2 Pro.
    I have noticed that the Sigma 15-30 on the S2 Pro gives more accurate
    exposure on the centre weighted setting than the matrix metering setting.

    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 9, 2004
  8. David Kilpatrick

    Zebedee Guest

    "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:ccmvrk$ugu$...
    > Have not noticed any bad spots on any of my lenses. I am using mine on a
    > Fuji S2 Pro.
    > I have noticed that the Sigma 15-30 on the S2 Pro gives more accurate
    > exposure on the centre weighted setting than the matrix metering setting.

    Phew, at last somebody who is speaking without a troll to drop or an axe to
    grind!

    How do you find the S2? Can it handle FAT 32 partitions? I understand that
    the S3 cannot.

    Compared to say the Nikon D70, how would you rate it?

    Zebedee, Jul 9, 2004
  9. "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:ccmvrk$ugu$...
    > > Have not noticed any bad spots on any of my lenses. I am using mine on

    > > Fuji S2 Pro.
    > > I have noticed that the Sigma 15-30 on the S2 Pro gives more accurate
    > > exposure on the centre weighted setting than the matrix metering

    setting.

    > Phew, at last somebody who is speaking without a troll to drop or an axe

    > grind!
    >
    > How do you find the S2? Can it handle FAT 32 partitions? I understand that
    > the S3 cannot.
    >
    > Compared to say the Nikon D70, how would you rate it?
    >
    > --
    > Yours
    >
    > Zebedee

    Not sure about what you mean by the handling of FAT32 or not. I use an
    IBM Microdrive (hope the trolls don't pick up on that one) and it seems to
    be using FAT, not FAT32. Is that what you were meaning? I have heard
    though that the S2 did not operate with some variants/models of the
    Microdrive.

    I am afraid I only have a passing interest in the S3, and have absolutely no
    knowledge of the Nikon D70 other than what I have heard in the various
    photography groups. From what I have heard the D70 sounds quite good. It
    has less pixels than the S2, but that is not always the deciding factor.

    I am very pleased with the S2. I managed to see one at a pre-release
    roadshow in the Edinburgh branch of Calumet, and again a few weeks later in
    the Glasgow Calumet store. They were very helpful and allowed me to stick
    my own card in it and go take some pictures. I was very surprised, since
    they even suggested I step outside their front door to take some more. I
    was really surprised since they did not bother to attach a ball and chain to
    my ankle to stop me dashing off with it :) I immediately put my name on
    their list and must have got one of the first few sold in Scotland. It has
    performed faultlessly and my only minor niggle is its appetite for CR123a
    batteries. I go through a pair of them every 500 shots or so. The S3
    seems to have addressed that shortcoming. In the two years (almost) that I
    have had the S2 I have taken more than 11,000 exposures.

    My choice of the S2 was that it was probably the first digital SLR with
    decent pixelcount that I could afford. I previously had a point and shoot
    Fuji 6800 which I still have and was very impressed by, so that made me feel
    that I would be happy with another Fuji. If I had to replace the S2, I
    would be tempted to get the S3, but by all accounts there are a few very
    good DSLRs around now, and I don't know if my brand loyalty would be strong
    enough to exclude the Nikon models. I had Canon film SLR equipment and had
    to change lenses when I got the S2, but I don't think I would switch to
    another lens mount without a very good reason. Of course, I learnt long
    ago never to say never :)

    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 9, 2004
  10. David Kilpatrick

    Zebedee Guest

    "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:ccn2fh$12b$...
    > Not sure about what you mean by the handling of FAT32 or not. I use an
    > IBM Microdrive (hope the trolls don't pick up on that one) and it seems to
    > be using FAT, not FAT32. Is that what you were meaning? I have heard
    > though that the S2 did not operate with some variants/models of the
    > Microdrive.

    Ok. Is your Microdrive bigger than 2GB? If it's bigger than 2 or 2.1GB and
    you can access all the data area then it's FAT32 otherwise, it's FAT16.
    FAT16 maxed out at 2.1GB while FAT32 maxed out at 38GB.

    > I am afraid I only have a passing interest in the S3, and have absolutely

    no
    > knowledge of the Nikon D70 other than what I have heard in the various
    > photography groups. From what I have heard the D70 sounds quite good.

    It
    > has less pixels than the S2, but that is not always the deciding factor.

    From what I've heard and seen, the D70 sufferes from moire unless the
    aperture is closed down a bit.

    > My choice of the S2 was that it was probably the first digital SLR with
    > decent pixelcount that I could afford. I previously had a point and

    shoot
    > Fuji 6800 which I still have and was very impressed by, so that made me

    feel
    > that I would be happy with another Fuji. If I had to replace the S2, I
    > would be tempted to get the S3, but by all accounts there are a few very
    > good DSLRs around now, and I don't know if my brand loyalty would be

    strong
    > enough to exclude the Nikon models. I had Canon film SLR equipment and

    had
    > to change lenses when I got the S2, but I don't think I would switch to
    > another lens mount without a very good reason. Of course, I learnt long
    > ago never to say never :)

    I'm a Nikon man and always have been. I tried Pentax for a few years but
    moved into Nikon FMs in 1990 and got myself some digitals later (not SLRs).
    They weren't Nikon and the difference showed when I got Nikon a bit later. I
    remember trying a Canon EOS just before I went for my FMs and hating it as
    soon as I touched it. I felt at home with the Nikons.

    At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to go down the dSLR route or for
    a long-zoom all-in-one. The dSLRs seem to have the edge in many ways
    although they are bigger and bulkier. 6 megapixels sounds great until one
    realises that the biggest prints are most likely to be A4 or A3, which less
    will handle just as well.

    I'm currently considering the Canon S1 (although build quality is shoddy),
    the Nikon 5700, Nikon D70 and Fuji S2. I'd shove that Kodak dSLR in there
    too if it weren't for the price.

    Zebedee, Jul 9, 2004
  11. David Kilpatrick

    Crownfield Guest

    Dennis Bradley wrote:

    > "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > > message news:ccmvrk$ugu$...
    > > > Have not noticed any bad spots on any of my lenses. I am using mine on

    > > > Fuji S2 Pro.
    > > > I have noticed that the Sigma 15-30 on the S2 Pro gives more accurate
    > > > exposure on the centre weighted setting than the matrix metering

    > setting.
    > >

    > > Phew, at last somebody who is speaking without a troll to drop or an axe

    > > grind!
    > >
    > > How do you find the S2? Can it handle FAT 32 partitions? I understand that
    > > the S3 cannot.
    > >
    > > Compared to say the Nikon D70, how would you rate it?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Yours
    > >
    > > Zebedee
    > >

    > Not sure about what you mean by the handling of FAT32 or not. I use an
    > IBM Microdrive (hope the trolls don't pick up on that one) and it seems to
    > be using FAT, not FAT32. Is that what you were meaning? I have heard
    > though that the S2 did not operate with some variants/models of the
    > Microdrive.
    >
    > I am afraid I only have a passing interest in the S3, and have absolutely no
    > knowledge of the Nikon D70 other than what I have heard in the various
    > photography groups. From what I have heard the D70 sounds quite good. It
    > has less pixels than the S2, but that is not always the deciding factor.
    >
    > I am very pleased with the S2. I managed to see one at a pre-release
    > roadshow in the Edinburgh branch of Calumet, and again a few weeks later in
    > the Glasgow Calumet store. They were very helpful and allowed me to stick
    > my own card in it and go take some pictures. I was very surprised, since
    > they even suggested I step outside their front door to take some more. I
    > was really surprised since they did not bother to attach a ball and chain to
    > my ankle to stop me dashing off with it :) I immediately put my name on
    > their list and must have got one of the first few sold in Scotland. It has
    > performed faultlessly and my only minor niggle is its appetite for CR123a
    > batteries. I go through a pair of them every 500 shots or so.

    the trick seems to not use them unless you want the flash.
    I also am very pleased with my S2.

    Crownfield, Jul 9, 2004
  12. David Kilpatrick

    Pepys Guest

    > Note: Any posters having anything good to say about any Sigma product

    should
    > be ignored. A sad state of affairs...but that is the truth of it. Don't
    > believe me....look to see what other subjects David Kilpatrick has
    > contributed to. There are one or more persons who post under a variety of
    > names who only come on to spread demonstrably false information about the
    > merits of Sigma. So much of what they write is provably wrong that all

    that
    > they have to say has to be questioned.....or ignored.

    What a ridiculous statement. This chap Kilpatrick posts well researched and
    professional views based on objective findings.

    Sam
    Pepys, Jul 10, 2004
  13. "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

    > I will second that !

    Thirded.

    --
    "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

    -Richard Cockburn
    Richard Cockburn, Jul 10, 2004
  14. "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<40ef0051$0$19391$>...
    > "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:ccmqkt$gsq$...
    > > On the Sigma issue, I really do despair of the posters who have opinions,
    > > but state them as if they were god given facts.
    > > I have both Sigma and Nikon lenses, and I am very happy with both the

    > Sigma
    > > 15-30 and 70-200 f.2.8 that I have. The Nikon 28-105 is also excellent in
    > > my *OPINION*

    > Ok. My opinion:
    >
    > I once owned a Sigma F8 Mirror lens. It was pretty good although atmospheric
    > distortion seemed amplified.
    >
    > I have seen sample pictures taken with a sigma 15-30 that have been sharp
    > except for one patch on the bottom right. That could have been a dicky
    > Foveon sensor but I rather suspect the lens.

    Care to point out the wavy parts?

    http://www.pbase.com/image/24323811/original

    The corners are amazing!!
    Georgette Preddy, Jul 10, 2004
  15. "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ccn2fh$12b$>...
    > It has less pixels than the S2, but that is not always the deciding factor.

    http://www.pbase.com/image/23420444

    Hardly any difference in sensor count.
    Georgette Preddy, Jul 10, 2004
  16. Hi Dennis,

    Reagding your battery issue with the S2, I'm sure I read a few years ago in
    AP that there was a way of converting the Nikon F80 battery grip for it
    rather than buying the quite dear proper S2 one. I'll see if I can dig it
    out over the next few days and get back to you.

    Cheers,
    Stephen

    Stephen Leslie, Jul 10, 2004
  17. "Stephen Leslie" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Dennis,
    >
    > Reagding your battery issue with the S2, I'm sure I read a few years ago

    in
    > AP that there was a way of converting the Nikon F80 battery grip for it
    > rather than buying the quite dear proper S2 one. I'll see if I can dig it
    > out over the next few days and get back to you.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Stephen

    Thanks Stephen.

    I had heard about that and I have a Canadian friend who has tried it out and
    considers it adds too much bulk to his already quite chunky camera. Based
    on that I decided to stick to buying the batteries in bulk and keeping a
    spare set in the camera bag.

    I had been looking at rechargeable CR123as but the only company supplying
    them at that time did not reply to my enquiry about why they charged
    reasonable postage for delivery to addresses in England, but charged more
    than £20 for delivery to Scottish mainland addresses.

    Regards
    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 10, 2004
  18. David Kilpatrick

    bagal Guest

    Hi G

    what would be interesting to see is an application of the interpolation
    algorithm to raw data taken from a Foveon sensor. All the data are there
    but the interesting point would be to see what the resultant image looks
    like.

    Then, of course, compare it to the image based on a full one to one
    correspondence of the data

    It may have very interesting results :)

    das B

    bagal, Jul 10, 2004
  19. Dennis Bradley wrote:

    > I had been looking at rechargeable CR123as but the only company supplying
    > them at that time did not reply to my enquiry about why they charged
    > reasonable postage for delivery to addresses in England, but charged more
    > than £20 for delivery to Scottish mainland addresses.

    I've had the same problem even with deliveries from England - we are
    approximately 12 miles over the Border and actually rather faster to get
    to than many parts of England, but there are some courier firms who
    double their delivery price. Fortunately Royal Mail continues to make no
    distinction, so whether anyone is on Orkney or in the middle of London,
    the price is the same. Difference is that the Orkney mail probably takes
    less time to get there!

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Jul 10, 2004
  20. "David Kilpatrick" <> wrote in message

    > Dennis Bradley wrote:
    >

    > > I had been looking at rechargeable CR123as but the only company

    supplying
    > > them at that time did not reply to my enquiry about why they charged
    > > reasonable postage for delivery to addresses in England, but charged

    more
    > > than £20 for delivery to Scottish mainland addresses.
    > >

    > I've had the same problem even with deliveries from England - we are
    > approximately 12 miles over the Border and actually rather faster to get
    > to than many parts of England, but there are some courier firms who
    > double their delivery price. Fortunately Royal Mail continues to make no
    > distinction, so whether anyone is on Orkney or in the middle of London,
    > the price is the same. Difference is that the Orkney mail probably takes
    > less time to get there!
    >
    > David

    I have only come across the one company that somehow thought Scotland was in
    the south seas. O how I wish that it were, sometimes.
    Generally I have found internet buying and courier services, either Royal
    Mail or others to be very efficient. The only one that at first caused
    concern was 7DayShop, but once I realised that there is always a delay from
    there, then it was easy to make allowances and order early.

    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 10, 2004