    store (besides mgmt).

    Seeya,

    Jeff
    Jeffrey Sabelli, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Jeffrey Sabelli

    Tech64 Guest

    I didn't think it was worth it for me. I have all the experience, but no
    certs. to show for it.
    Finally my company realized their worth and are now requiring people to get
    them(A+, Server+).
    Glad I got mine before it became mandatory for me.

    "Jeffrey Sabelli" <> wrote in message
    > I've often heard people talk about how A+ isn't worth much of anything,

    but
    > for all those hopefuls out there, it landed me a job at Best Buy in the

    Geek
    > Squad (the tech bench). I was having a lot of trouble finding work, but

    now

    Tech64, Oct 2, 2004

  3. On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 11:10:42 GMT, "Jeffrey Sabelli"
    <> wrote:

    >I've often heard people talk about how A+ isn't worth much of anything, but
    >for all those hopefuls out there, it landed me a job at Best Buy in the Geek
    >Squad (the tech bench). I was having a lot of trouble finding work, but now
    >I'm hoping I can build up some solid professional experience. My
    >certification was the difference between me working the bench or being a
    >floor sales person, and the tech's are the highest paid positions in the
    >store (besides mgmt).
    >
    >Seeya,
    >
    >Jeff

    It's nice to hear a positive story like this...thanks for sharing.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Jeffrey Sabelli

    nospam Guest

    How much is the pay $8 per hour?

    nospam, Oct 2, 2004
  5. Jeffrey Sabelli

    nospam Guest

    Well you have to start somewhere. When I was having a preliminary
    interview, last week with a recruiter he did ask if I had any Certs.

    Right now I'm on my fifth temp assignment and I started out by just
    doing some bullshit assignment which was really nothing more than some
    data entry work in MS AD but it did pay well. By achieving a good
    reputation I was invited back for several more gigs doing basic stuff
    like ghosting, adds, moves, deletes, and repairing laptops. Right know
    I work for a small busines (80 users) as an assistant to the admin in
    the morning, where I perform desktop support along with monitoring the
    servers and running reports on the UNIX server. That experience
    enabled me to land another part time gig in the early evenings (4-8pm)
    providing national desktop support for a high regarded jewlrey firm.

    So right know I get 8 hours a day from the 2 separate companies and it
    gives me a great opportunity to check the companies out myself.
    Remmember all companies are not created equal as some have large IT
    budgets and others small ones. Temping is a great way to develope your
    skills and reputation in the business. A little word of advice to the
    wannabe's as one professor told me this job is 80% people skills and
    20% technical ability. Also don't be a cowboy or a loose cannon as you
    will not last long in most places. So be persistent in looking for
    work, keep your nose to the grindstone and remember as much as you
    think you know, there's somebody who know's more. If your not sure
    about something, just ask a more knowledgeable individual. One last
    thing the recruiter did mention he is getting a lot requests for end
    user support roles.

    Good luck,

    Gary

    A+, N+, MCP, CNA

    nospam, Oct 2, 2004
  6. Jeffrey Sabelli

    Rob Guest

    I have to agree with Jeff. I just recently moved from Rochester, NY to
    Houston, TX due to the fact that their is no IT industry in Rochester and
    had been out of work for 1 1/2 years. Before I left Rochester, I became A+
    and N+ certified, 2 weeks into living in Houston, I got an interview at Best
    Buy and am now a tech there. Given...it's not where I would like to be, but
    it's a start, and in todays economy, a start is definitely something to be
    proud of.

    Rob Saffell
    A+, Network+

    Rob, Oct 4, 2004
  7. Jeffrey Sabelli

    Jamco Guest

    Well in Canada it's $10 an hour for a starting tech at best buy, which is
    about $8 US. I had a friend who worked there for about 6 months and was
    making $16 canadian. But I beleive there was a few levels of techs, so you
    could start out making more

    Jamco, Oct 20, 2004