A:/ is not accessible

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    I am having trouble accessing floppy disks through my A: drive. I have no
    trouble on my secondary computer but not through my main computer. The two
    PCs are not networked.

    The error message I kepp getting is A:/ is not accessible. No ID address
    mark was found on the floppy disk.

    Thanks for any help you may be able to offer me

    Pete

    PLEASE REMOVE UNDERWEAR TO EMAIL ME ( IT'S TO STOP SPAM, NOT A CRAZY COME
    ON!)

    Pete, Jan 31, 2006

  2. Pete

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:54:45 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > I am having trouble accessing floppy disks through my A: drive. I have no
    > trouble on my secondary computer but not through my main computer. The two
    > PCs are not networked.
    >
    > The error message I kepp getting is A:/ is not accessible. No ID address
    > mark was found on the floppy disk.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you may be able to offer me
    >
    > Pete

    Bad drive?

    Meat Plow, Jan 31, 2006

  3. Pete wrote:
    > I am having trouble accessing floppy disks through my A: drive. I
    > have no trouble on my secondary computer but not through my main
    > computer. The two PCs are not networked.
    >
    > The error message I kepp getting is A:/ is not accessible. No ID
    > address mark was found on the floppy disk.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you may be able to offer me
    >
    > Pete

    Try a floppy drive cleaning kit first. A PC is often
    little more than a big vacuum cleaner that sucks
    up dust bunnies. If you don't use your floppy drive
    all the time, it will develop a layer of dirt all over the
    heads and internal mechanism.

    The Daring Dufas (hardware troll)

    The Daring Dufas, Jan 31, 2006
  4. Pete

    Guest

    fist is the floppy cable in right?

    , Jan 31, 2006
  5. Pete

    da cheet Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > I am having trouble accessing floppy disks through my A: drive. I have no
    > trouble on my secondary computer but not through my main computer. The two
    > PCs are not networked.

    take it as a blessing...

    stop using floppy disks.

    da cheet, Jan 31, 2006
  6. Pete

    Noel Paton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > fist is the floppy cable in right?

    You can't find the Shift key, or spell, or punctuate properly (not to
    mention the fact that you can't respond to the right post!), and yet you
    consider yourself expert enough to respond to questions asked here?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jan 31, 2006
  7. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "da cheet" <> wrote in message
    > Pete wrote:
    >> I am having trouble accessing floppy disks through my A: drive. I have no
    >> trouble on my secondary computer but not through my main computer. The
    >> two PCs are not networked.

    > take it as a blessing...
    >
    > stop using floppy disks.

    LMAO!! Unfortunately it was a file given to me by work and the tight #=%$£
    won't stretch to using CDs for the odd small file or two!

    Pete

    Pete, Jan 31, 2006
  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "The Daring Dufas" <> wrote in message
    > Pete wrote:
    >> I am having trouble accessing floppy disks through my A: drive. I
    >> have no trouble on my secondary computer but not through my main
    >> computer. The two PCs are not networked.
    >>
    >> The error message I kepp getting is A:/ is not accessible. No ID
    >> address mark was found on the floppy disk.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help you may be able to offer me
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>

    > Try a floppy drive cleaning kit first. A PC is often
    > little more than a big vacuum cleaner that sucks
    > up dust bunnies. If you don't use your floppy drive
    > all the time, it will develop a layer of dirt all over the
    > heads and internal mechanism.
    >
    > The Daring Dufas (hardware troll)

    Thanks Dufas, I don't think I have used the floppy drive in well over 18
    months! They are pretty obsolete now aren't they!

    Pete

    Pete, Jan 31, 2006
  9. Pete

    Gordon Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > "da cheet" <> wrote in message
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>> I am having trouble accessing floppy disks through my A: drive. I have no
    >>> trouble on my secondary computer but not through my main computer. The
    >>> two PCs are not networked.

    >> take it as a blessing...
    >>
    >> stop using floppy disks.

    > LMAO!! Unfortunately it was a file given to me by work and the tight #=%$£
    > won't stretch to using CDs for the odd small file or two!
    >
    > Pete

    If it's THAT small, then email it........

    Gordon, Jan 31, 2006
  10. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Pete wrote:
    >> "da cheet" <> wrote in message
    >>> take it as a blessing...
    >>>
    >>> stop using floppy disks.

    >> LMAO!! Unfortunately it was a file given to me by work and the tight
    >> #=%$£
    >> won't stretch to using CDs for the odd small file or two!
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>

    > If it's THAT small, then email it........

    You would think wouldn't you! lol

    Pete, Jan 31, 2006
  11. Pete wrote:
    > "The Daring Dufas" <> wrote in
    > message news:zPKDf.6715$...
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>> I am having trouble accessing floppy disks through my A: drive. I
    >>> have no trouble on my secondary computer but not through my main
    >>> computer. The two PCs are not networked.
    >>>
    >>> The error message I kepp getting is A:/ is not accessible. No ID
    >>> address mark was found on the floppy disk.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help you may be able to offer me
    >>>
    >>> Pete
    >>>

    >> Try a floppy drive cleaning kit first. A PC is often
    >> little more than a big vacuum cleaner that sucks
    >> up dust bunnies. If you don't use your floppy drive
    >> all the time, it will develop a layer of dirt all over the
    >> heads and internal mechanism.
    >>
    >> The Daring Dufas (hardware troll)
    >>

    > Thanks Dufas, I don't think I have used the floppy drive in well over
    > 18 months! They are pretty obsolete now aren't they!
    >
    > Pete

    I have a combination 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drive
    in my Tower From Hell. If I'm not mistaken the
    3.5 floppy drive I have will read and write 2.88
    Mb diskettes also. Nothing but a thumb drive
    is more useful than a floppy in my opinion. The
    little flash drives won't work with everything though.

    The Daring Dufas (floppy troll)

    The Daring Dufas, Jan 31, 2006
  12. Pete

    whosbest54 Guest

    In article <F_JDf.76780$>,
    says...

    >I am having trouble accessing floppy disks through my A: drive. I have no
    >trouble on my secondary computer but not through my main computer. The two
    >PCs are not networked.
    >
    >The error message I kepp getting is A:/ is not accessible. No ID address
    >mark was found on the floppy disk.
    >
    >Thanks for any help you may be able to offer me

    Vacuum out the front of the drive as best you can. While you're at it, open
    the CPU box and vacuum everything else carefully, then unplug and plug in the
    ribbon cable for the floppy on both ends.

    Could be the drive has gone bad. Up to you if you want to try to replace it
    - cheap replacements are easy to find in local shops or on ebay.

    whosbest54

    http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/

    http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

    whosbest54, Feb 1, 2006