A highly stupid question about ST: TNG DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 23, 2007.

  1. The new full-series Star Trek: The Next Generation DVD
    set looks pretty slick. Has Paramount made any indication
    that they'd be releasing the other series in this fashion?
    I'm thinking mostly of Voyager, since I already have DS9
    on DVD and, while Voyager is my least favorite series, it
    wouldn't be a bad idea to have it around for reference.
    Less than $40 a season seems like a fair price. With
    DDD's regular sale, that'd work out to about $34 each.
    I can live with that.

    I say this is a stupid question, because I know Paramount
    has never turned down the opportunity to re-sell Star Trek*,
    but it'd be great to know they've announced their long-range
    plans, just like they did when they started releasing their
    season sets the first time around.

    --

    Aaron (* that HD-DVD thing notwithstanding) Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 23, 2007

  2. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > The new full-series Star Trek: The Next Generation DVD
    > set looks pretty slick. Has Paramount made any indication
    > that they'd be releasing the other series in this fashion?
    > I'm thinking mostly of Voyager, since I already have DS9
    > on DVD and, while Voyager is my least favorite series, it
    > wouldn't be a bad idea to have it around for reference.
    > Less than $40 a season seems like a fair price. With
    > DDD's regular sale, that'd work out to about $34 each.
    > I can live with that.

    Paramount seems to treat all the Treks equally (whereas the fans do
    not), so IF there's any word after this set, we'll probably see a
    complete DS9 first...

    Unless you'd rather wait a year or two for the rumored HD-reconstituted
    Next episodes, after they finish their last third of the Classic run?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 23, 2007

  3. Derek Janssen <> wrote in news:E7AJi.150
    $yh3.10@trndny01:

    > Paramount seems to treat all the Treks equally (whereas the fans do
    > not), so IF there's any word after this set, we'll probably see a
    > complete DS9 first...

    Thought so, but it's worth asking. It ain't like I'm waiting with
    baited breath.

    > Unless you'd rather wait a year or two for the rumored HD-

    reconstituted
    > Next episodes, after they finish their last third of the Classic run?

    .... Not really. I'm pretty skeptical of any efforts to restore TNG that
    go beyond basic color-correction. The show was made in a very, very SD
    style, and they can't really make use of the original film elements
    without throwing away a huge chunk of the SFX. I view it as a
    baby/bathwater situation. TOS was pretty fortunate, in that both the
    standard shots and FX were both done in the film realm, which made the
    tweaks in the remastered edition so much cleaner.

    OTOH, I'm not opposed to giving it a try... but when it comes time to
    get TNG again, I'll make sure to get the "pure" versions first. Like
    with TOS, the HD remasters may be fun, but I don't want to lose the
    look captured in the Red/Blue/Yellow boxes either.

    Now, the real question is, how long will we have to wait to get
    Enterprise in HD? That shouldn't take much effort at all, considering
    it was tailor-made for HD.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 23, 2007
  4. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    >>Unless you'd rather wait a year or two for the rumored HD-reconstituted
    >>Next episodes, after they finish their last third of the Classic run?

    > ... Not really. I'm pretty skeptical of any efforts to restore TNG that
    > go beyond basic color-correction. The show was made in a very, very SD
    > style, and they can't really make use of the original film elements
    > without throwing away a huge chunk of the SFX. I view it as a
    > baby/bathwater situation. TOS was pretty fortunate, in that both the
    > standard shots and FX were both done in the film realm, which made the
    > tweaks in the remastered edition so much cleaner.

    The TOS 2.0 FX shots were fortunate enough to be newly created
    insert-shots, since they never shared any scenes with the actors (except
    for the monitor screens, which could be easily separated)--

    As for Next 2.0, Paramount claims they still have the raw actor-footage
    elements in the vault, and they *could* create new virtual-Enterprise
    CGI sets if they needed to...And even then, the design would be so
    consistent with current canon, it would just be a matter of new
    definition levels for the CGI FX.

    (Eg. the TOS 2.0 establishing ship-shots now have "Berman-style"
    3/4-angle aerials of orbiting the planets, which the Nexts invented in
    the first place.)

    > OTOH, I'm not opposed to giving it a try... but when it comes time to
    > get TNG again, I'll make sure to get the "pure" versions first. Like
    > with TOS, the HD remasters may be fun, but I don't want to lose the
    > look captured in the Red/Blue/Yellow boxes either.
    >
    > Now, the real question is, how long will we have to wait to get
    > Enterprise in HD? That shouldn't take much effort at all, considering
    > it was tailor-made for HD.

    Think Voyager also had some widescreen delusions-of-grandeur near the
    end of its run (not sure though, as you couldn't make me watch it
    again), so the conversion gets easier past DS9.
    It's just the first two series that're the major hurdles, and Paramount
    seems to have passed the first one nice and clean.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 24, 2007
  5. Aaron J. Bossig

    Mark Jones Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Paramount seems to treat all the Treks equally (whereas the fans do
    > not), so IF there's any word after this set, we'll probably see a
    > complete DS9 first...

    It looks like there is already a complete set of DS9 available.
    Best Buy has a 48 disk set available for $442.83

    <
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=13990997&type=product&id=1383492 >

    Star Trek Enterprise is also available for $407.98 for 27 packs.

    Star Trek Next Generation for $442.83

    Star Trek Voyager for $696.98, 47 packs.

    Not sure why Voyager is so much higher.

    Mark Jones, Sep 24, 2007
  6. Derek Janssen <> wrote in news:LICJi.4271
    $ax2.4168@trndny08:

    > Think Voyager also had some widescreen delusions-of-grandeur near the
    > end of its run

    Interesting. It would be the first I've heard of it, though.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 24, 2007
  7. "Mark Jones" <> wrote in

    > Derek Janssen wrote:
    >> Paramount seems to treat all the Treks equally (whereas the fans do
    >> not), so IF there's any word after this set, we'll probably see a
    >> complete DS9 first...

    > It looks like there is already a complete set of DS9 available.
    > Best Buy has a 48 disk set available for $442.83
    >
    > <
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=13990997&type=product&id=
    > 1383492 >

    Not quite. What you're seeing here is a release that has all 7
    individual season sets shrinkwrapped and sold under one SKU.
    The upcoming TNG set is actually a unique new release that sells
    all the discs in one package, at a much reduced price over buying
    the seven seasons (seperately or bundled).

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 24, 2007
  8. Aaron J. Bossig

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <Xns99B4F37041BD4linkvb06@216.196.97.142>, linkvb06
    @SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net says...
    > "Mark Jones" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Derek Janssen wrote:
    > >> Paramount seems to treat all the Treks equally (whereas the fans do
    > >> not), so IF there's any word after this set, we'll probably see a
    > >> complete DS9 first...

    > > It looks like there is already a complete set of DS9 available.
    > > Best Buy has a 48 disk set available for $442.83
    > >
    > > <
    > > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=13990997&type=product&id=
    > > 1383492 >

    > Not quite. What you're seeing here is a release that has all 7
    > individual season sets shrinkwrapped and sold under one SKU.
    > The upcoming TNG set is actually a unique new release that sells
    > all the discs in one package, at a much reduced price over buying
    > the seven seasons (seperately or bundled).

    At Amazon, there's barely any price difference between the 7-season-set
    bundle and the new set:

    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Next-Generation-Complete/dp/B00062RCBW

    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Next-Generation-Complete/dp/B000RZIGVS

    but there are 49 discs listed in the new set vs. 48 in the bundled set,
    so I assume there are probably some new special features in the new set.
    I didn't investigate further, as my interest in all things Trek pretty
    much stops at the original series - never have had the time to devote to
    watching the subsequent series the way I did with TOS.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Sep 24, 2007