    RF signals and video/sound signals.

    So, anybody know of any kind of converter to do the job for HD?

    BB
    Bill Baird, Jan 1, 2006

  2. "Bill Baird" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >I haven't done much with HDTV stuff yet since I have no intention of
    > getting into another Vhs/Beta war. Even when the players become available
    > I hope everyone waits till the industry comes to its senses and
    > standardises.
    >
    > Anyway, I DO have an HD capture card and it works ok, but only for
    > over-the-air broadcasts and we only have one local station that sends in
    > that mode. There is no way to connect the card to a new Satellite HD box
    > because my card (and all of the few HD capture cards that I know of) only
    > have the coax input. And all the HD equipment that I have seen has either
    > the HDMI or DVI connectors (although a couple of TVs I have looked at in
    > stores have some kind of Red Green Blue inputs).
    >
    > Just like back in the early days when you need a converter to get between
    > RF signals and video/sound signals.
    >
    > So, anybody know of any kind of converter to do the job for HD?
    >
    > BB

    I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm pretty sure you're not asking
    about upconverting standard DVD to HD. Are you asking how to capture a HD
    signal on you computer? Do you own a HDTV but can't figure out how to
    connect it to your HD satellite? You mentioned looking at TVs in stores so
    I'm going to go with the latter. If you do have a HDTV, doesn't your TV
    have a HDMI, DVI, or component (the Red Green Blue connectors) input? If
    so use that for the high def instead of the capture card.

    My HDTV is connected using a HD cable box. The same RF connections that the
    old standard cable box had the new HD box has. The HD signal enters the
    cable box through the RF connection then outs to my TV through whatever
    connection I choose. The HD box very similar to my old cable box except it
    has component (the Red Green Blue connectors), DVI and S-Video. I would
    assume your HD satellite box, even if it doesn't have an RF input, does have
    multiple output options. You should be able to connect the satellite to the
    HDTV through a connection other than the capture card.

    Hope this helps.
    Arthur Lipscomb, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Bill Baird

    Bill Baird Guest

    > I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm pretty sure you're not

    Probably because I don't understand it either. Correct, I don't want to
    copy or view ordinary DVDs on a new HDTV. What I do want to do is be able
    to "tape" movies from the new HDTV satellite service. (Which I don't have
    yet.) Using my new HD PVR (which I do have - but as I said, only has an RF
    input.)

    My questions come from inspecting an HDTV capable satellite box of a
    friend. His doesn't have an RF output for the HDTV signal. Only an
    HDMI or DVI (I don't remember which) plug. No component outputs.

    So you are saying that your rig DOES have an RF out that supplies HD
    signal? If that is the case, then problem solved. I will make sure that
    my box does also.

    Thanks
    BB
    Bill Baird, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Bill Baird

    Biz Guest

    Most people use the DVR's from the sat services....

    Biz, Jan 2, 2006
  5. "Bill Baird" <> wrote in message

    >> I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm pretty sure you're not

    > Probably because I don't understand it either. Correct, I don't want to
    > copy or view ordinary DVDs on a new HDTV. What I do want to do is be able
    > to "tape" movies from the new HDTV satellite service. (Which I don't have
    > yet.) Using my new HD PVR (which I do have - but as I said, only has an RF
    > input.)
    >
    > My questions come from inspecting an HDTV capable satellite box of a
    > friend. His doesn't have an RF output for the HDTV signal. Only an
    > HDMI or DVI (I don't remember which) plug. No component outputs.
    >
    > So you are saying that your rig DOES have an RF out that supplies HD
    > signal? If that is the case, then problem solved. I will make sure that
    > my box does also.
    >
    > Thanks
    > BB

    The box has an RF in for the cable signal. The HD out is DVI and component.
    The other outputs are non HD. However, the manual for my box mentions an
    alternate model equipped with an RF bypass and shows a picture of an RF out.
    If you go with cable, you may be able to connect the HD cable signal into
    your PVR's RF input.

    Best thing to do is contact your local satellite and cable provider tell
    them what equipment you already own and ask if their equipment is compatible
    with yours. You may not need a converter. And as someone else mentioned,
    you're satellite provider (and cable provider) can provide you with a HD
    PVR.
    Arthur Lipscomb, Jan 2, 2006
  6. Bill Baird

    Bill Baird Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 02:15:12 +0000, Biz wrote:

    > Most people use the DVR's from the sat services.... "Bill Baird"
    > <> wrote in message

    Yep, but don't they charge a monthly fee for PVR useage? Mine is
    free, has many more options, holds FAR more than any commercial PVR I ever
    heard of and I can use the computer for other stuff. (That being said, I
    haven't found much lately from Hollywood that I would waste an old AOL
    floppy on, let alone space on 400 gig drives.) Plus, I will almost
    guarantee that Hollywood will eventually get around to making both the
    cable and satellite companies charge a fee for each viewing. Directv has
    already had a short test for that - $1 to tape a movie. Or make you view
    ads before fast forwarding. I don't want to pirate stuff, just move it to
    a different viewing time.

    Not that the money part is any big deal. In fact it is trivial. Just
    that it ticks me off - kind of like $5 gasoline in an emergency because we
    got it and you don't.

    BB
    Bill Baird, Jan 2, 2006
  7. Bill Baird

    Biz Guest

    Then figure it out on your own. The DVR's from Directv are way more useful
    than some POS PC setup you are using, unless its a real Tivo or Ultimate TV
    box....plus you wouldnt need to post on usenet to try to figure out if it
    would work...it just works flawlessly...All the HD DirecTv receivers have
    component and at least s-video as well, its your HD card in your PC that is
    lacking...its strictly meant for OTA recording...

    Biz, Jan 2, 2006
  8. Bill Baird

    Luke Smith Guest

    does anyone have problems with their comcast hdtv box? mine constantly
    gets pixelated. I wish there was another provider to go with.
    Luke Smith, Jan 17, 2006
  9. "Luke Smith" <> wrote in message
    > does anyone have problems with their comcast hdtv box? mine constantly
    > gets pixelated. I wish there was another provider to go with.

    Some of my standard channels look somewhat grainy at times, especially Sci
    Fi. Otherwise no pixilation. Although I used to have a problem where a
    high def widescreen program would become window boxed. I don't mean during
    commercials. The widescreen program itself would window box. I still don't
    know if the problem was with the network or the cable company. But that
    hasn't occurred in a while.
    Arthur Lipscomb, Jan 18, 2006
  10. Bill Baird

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Arthur Lipscomb" <> wrote in message
    > Some of my standard channels look somewhat grainy at times, especially
    > Sci Fi. Otherwise no pixilation. Although I used to have a problem
    > where a high def widescreen program would become window boxed. I
    > don't mean during commercials. The widescreen program itself would
    > window box. I still don't know if the problem was with the network or
    > the cable company. But that hasn't occurred in a while.

    It sounds like the local station probably forgot to switch back to the
    HD feed after the commercial break, so you get a standard-def image
    pillarboxed in the center of the normal HD window until they bother to
    fix it. This happens occasionally. It's usually a problem with the local
    network station, not Comcast.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 18, 2006
  11. Bill Baird

    Luke Smith Guest

    actually comcast had to come out and they swapped out the box for a new
    one, which worked. now if they could just give me espnu so i can watch
    the games I want to see. it's always something with them. i just wish
    they werent a monopoly so i could jump ship.
    Luke Smith, Jan 25, 2006