    — good enough to reveal even the paths worn in the lunar soil by the
    astronauts' boots.

    http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

    me, Feb 26, 2011

  2. me

    Rich Guest

    On Feb 26, 6:42 am, me <> wrote:
    > Ever since NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter began circling the Moon
    > at low altitude in mid-2009, planetary scientists and the public have
    > marveled at the incredible trove of observations it's been beaming
    > back to Earth. Most often in the spotlight are the jaw-dropping
    > closeups of Apollo landing sites by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
    > Camera (LROC). It can resolve the surface at 2 feet (0.5 m) per pixel
    > good enough to reveal even the paths worn in the lunar soil by the
    > astronauts' boots.
    >
    > http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

    But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
    unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
    more manageable.

    Rich, Feb 27, 2011

  3. me

    Jeff R. Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    On Feb 26, 6:42 am, me <> wrote:

    >> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

    > But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
    > unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
    > more manageable.

    It's manageable.
    I DLed it onto my humble-enough system, and it opens in CS4 Photoshop with
    little grief.
    It's not fast, and is plainly close tot he limit, but it works.

    --
    Jeff R.

    Jeff R., Feb 27, 2011
  4. >> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

    > But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
    > unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
    > more manageable.

    The TIFF works perfectly with the free IrfanView.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 27, 2011
  5. me

    ASCII Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    >>> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

    >> But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
    >> unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
    >> more manageable.

    >The TIFF works perfectly with the free IrfanView.

    Same with XnView

    ASCII, Feb 27, 2011
  6. me

    Bruce Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >Savageduck wrote:
    >>
    >> Here is what NASA actually provides using Zoomify which allows you to
    >> zoom in and navigate the image.
    >> < http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc_browse/view/wac_nearside >

    >Where can we find a human landing site with tracks and footprints?

    In the Arizona desert? ;-)

    Bruce, Feb 27, 2011
  7. me

    Bruce Guest

    >On 2011-02-27 10:11:34 -0800, Paul Furman <> said:
    >> Savageduck wrote:
    >>> Here is what NASA actually provides using Zoomify which allows you to
    >>> zoom in and navigate the image.
    >>> < http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc_browse/view/wac_nearside >

    >> Where can we find a human landing site with tracks and footprints?

    >http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc-20100708-apollo16.html

    How do we know that isn't in the Arizona desert?

    Bruce, Feb 27, 2011
  8. me

    ASCII Guest

    Bruce wrote:
    >Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Where can we find a human landing site with tracks and footprints?

    >>http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc-20100708-apollo16.html

    >How do we know that isn't in the Arizona desert?

    No illegal immigrants in the pic?

    ASCII, Feb 27, 2011
  9. me

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 22:13:23 +0000, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Where can we find a human landing site with tracks and footprints?

    >>http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc-20100708-apollo16.html

    >How do we know that isn't in the Arizona desert?

    Arizona is does not exist. Arizona was created on the back lot of MGM
    as a setting for Westerns. There is no such place.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 27, 2011
  10. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/27/2011 1:53 AM, Rich wrote:
    > On Feb 26, 6:42 am, me<> wrote:
    >> Ever since NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter began circling the Moon
    >> at low altitude in mid-2009, planetary scientists and the public have
    >> marveled at the incredible trove of observations it's been beaming
    >> back to Earth. Most often in the spotlight are the jaw-dropping
    >> closeups of Apollo landing sites by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
    >> Camera (LROC). It can resolve the surface at 2 feet (0.5 m) per pixel
    >> good enough to reveal even the paths worn in the lunar soil by the
    >> astronauts' boots.
    >>
    >> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

    > But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
    > unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
    > more manageable.

    If someone gave you a gift of 1,000,000 USD, you would complain that it
    was not CD and about the currency conversion process.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Feb 27, 2011
  11. me

    M-M Guest

    In article <2011022722272537709-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/uploads/lroc_wac_nearside_noslew_anot.png
    >
    > I just tried the Zoomify version in the Sea of Tranquility area to see
    > if I could find this Apollo 11 site.
    > <
    > http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc_200911109_apol
    > lo11.html
    > >

    > Just couldn't zoom in close enough to make a match.

    This photo shows the Apollo 11 landing site:

    http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missions/apollo/apollo_11/images/telescopic
    _lg.gif

    I was able to find the same spot on the half-gig image, it corresponds
    to the area below the "r" in "Tranquillitatis" here:

    http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/uploads/lroc_wac_nearside_noslew_anot.png

    (you can identify the similar landmarks in the 2 images)

    However the footprints shown here:

    http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/uploads/lm_westcrater.png

    are not on the full-sized half gig image.

    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Feb 28, 2011