    disc defrag., device manager, desktop, finding files and
    folders, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Jenna
    Jenna, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Jenna

    Guest Guest

    I have another question, is it better to take a class or
    study on your own from books at home? Jenna

    would recommend
    >studying for and getting an A+ certification first.

    It'll really help you
    >get your chops for an MCDST. Some posters to this forum

    make it look easy,
    >but they have much more experience than you purport to

    have. After the A+,
    >you have a good chance at the 70-271 or 70-272 as long

    as you study carefully
    >and well.
    >
    >Even though MCDST is Microsoft's lowest designation

    above MCP, it is still
    >difficult; if it were easy in any way, it would not mean

    anything to those
    >others who have it, or to those who would employ you.
    >
    >Good luck!
    >
    >"Jenna" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all, I was wondering which course to start with? I
    >> have the basics of working a computer such as, scan

    disk,

    Guest, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Jenna

    Jenna Guest

    Thanks for all your help. Did you study at home or take
    a class? Jenna

    learning style.
    >Self- study definitely costs less, but if you lack

    comprehensive real-world
    >experience, you should buy more than one self-study

    guide or book, and
    >definitely make sure you buy a set of practice exam

    questions from

    Jenna, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Jenna

    Guest Guest

    Wow, thanks for that advice. I know it will be hard work
    and take time to get to where I wanna be. But I'm
    determined to get there or atleast somewhere. Good luck
    with your second test. Take care, Jenna

    exams- I haven't
    >taken the second one for MCDST yet. What I found is

    that even by reading the
    >books and by taking the practice tests, you still need

    some practical
    >experience. I worked for 3 years as a system

    administrator, and still found
    >some questions to be surprising.
    >
    >I think that it's fair to say that Windows XP has a lot

    of features that the
    >casual user is not aware of. The basic skills you

    described in your first
    >post barely scratch the surface of what you need to know

    to pass the exam, so
    >if you study at home, I would recommend at the very

    least to purchase the MS
    >Press books for 70-271 and 70-272 and the Transcender

    tests (about $120 each)
    >to prepare.
    >
    >Personally, I did not think I'd learn enough for the

    money I would spend in

    Guest, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Jenna

    Charles Guest

    Jenna he's right about hard core "MCP's" and in a way I'm
    kinda one of them as I debated for couple months now if
    its really worth my while taking it since I was already
    A+, Network+, MCP & MCSA 2000 certified and a network
    administrator for the past 5 of my 10 yrs in IT. But I
    enjoy desktop support (yep, we do it all including wiring,
    testing, phones, pbx, wirless lan's, VoIP (voice over IP),
    etc for a small local govt agency.

    I'm also working on my CCNA, MCSA 2003 Upgrade, MCSE 2000
    + Security then upgrade to MCSA 2003 + Security among
    other things.

    I took the MCDST exams both on the same morning and while
    it wasn't pretty, I passed both of them easy enough
    without studying for it but I was surprised by the number
    of Office 2003 features questions but if you look at the
    questions, most were common sense types although quite a
    few were from my own partical experience of the 2 weeks
    prior to the exam of doing our own Office 2003 rollouts
    and assisting users with some of the new features (which I
    had to learn on the fly).

    I'll also say something else while I'm at it and
    PoppinFresh hasn't said yet. Do not be tempted by "brain
    dumps" as it'll do nothing to help you understand the
    concepts and I probably spend almost half of my paycheck
    on computer related equipment or software (good thing my
    wife has a good job). One of these days I'll instead spend
    it on my fishing vacation - EXTENDED length ;-) when I
    retire for the 2nd time (currently a retired narcotics
    investigator & police dog trainer after 24yrs).

    I probably agree with PoppinFresh though about getting the
    A+ first, as it'll give you the basis for learning and a
    lot of companies require it as a basis for entry level
    employment along with MCP (yes, the MCDST will also give
    you MCP but you may want to do 70-210 or 70-270 first).
    There are currently discount vouchers available for the A+
    and I think VUE has a promotion going on as well.
    (www.vue.com)

    either way, good luck. There are a lot of certified people
    with experience who are out of work, but keep this in
    mind, people skills will often win out over an experienced
    person who may have bad people skills (aka attitude).
    Nothing is worse than a person who's suppose to be helping
    but only aggravate the person worse with a flipant
    attitude or demeanor which could generate a complaint. Get
    enough of them or the wrong kind of complaint and you'll
    soon be looking for other work. Remember that the end user
    is your lifeline to employment regardless of
    how "clueless" that person may be regarding computers &
    software. It's your job to help them succeed in their job.
    (barring deliberate acts - there are those like that in
    the real world too - in that case like all cases,
    documentation in detail will help you in the long run).

    Charles, Sep 8, 2004
  6. Jenna

    Guest Guest

    A+