    like to spend less than $350.

    Can you point me in the right direction?

    Thank you

    CDZ, Dec 14, 2006

  2. CDZ wrote:
    > I'm going to purchase a rebel xti body without the kit lens. I'd like
    > to find a nice all around lens, auto focus, with some ability to zoom.
    > I plan to do mainly outdoor photography, plants, animals etc. I would
    > like to spend less than $350.
    >
    > Can you point me in the right direction?

    I have been using a Sigma 18-200mm lens for well over a year and find it
    to be an excellent lens for the price. You will love the 11X zoom range
    and its light weight design.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 14, 2006

  3. CDZ

    CDZ Guest

    That does look like a nice lens, I will have to look up some photos
    taken with the canon and that lens... 11x would be great, especially
    when I can still take closer shots without having to get a separate
    lens...

    CDZ, Dec 14, 2006
  4. CDZ

    oddroot Guest

    Make sure to pick up the 50mm f1.8 lens from Canon... It's like 70$,
    and great for low light shooting with it's F1.8 aperture. Also a good
    introduction to a prime lens and having to move your feet to frame your
    pictures properly :)

    oddroot, Dec 14, 2006
  5. Hi,

    > Make sure to pick up the 50mm f1.8 lens from Canon... It's like 70$,

    https://www.adorama.com/CA5018AFU.html

    From everything I've read this is a good lens for the money ($69.95 at
    adorama), sharp, lightweight and fast.
    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas

    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 14, 2006
  6. CDZ wrote:
    > That does look like a nice lens, I will have to look up some photos
    > taken with the canon and that lens... 11x would be great, especially
    > when I can still take closer shots without having to get a separate
    > lens...

    The lens is extremely convenient and practicle. Here are a few shots I
    have taken with it on a 300D (original Digital Rebel):

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/IMG_5975.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_7106a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_7000a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_6841a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_6933a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/WWII Memorial/WWIIMemorial8.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Pets/CRW_6703a.jpg

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 14, 2006
  7. CDZ

    Annika1980 Guest

    CDZ wrote:
    > I'm going to purchase a rebel xti body without the kit lens. I'd like
    > to find a nice all around lens, auto focus, with some ability to zoom.
    > I plan to do mainly outdoor photography, plants, animals etc. I would
    > like to spend less than $350.
    >
    > Can you point me in the right direction?
    >
    > Thank you

    The Canon 28-135 IS is the choice here.

    Annika1980, Dec 14, 2006
  8. Annika1980 wrote:
    > CDZ wrote:
    >> I'm going to purchase a rebel xti body without the kit lens. I'd like
    >> to find a nice all around lens, auto focus, with some ability to zoom.
    >> I plan to do mainly outdoor photography, plants, animals etc. I would
    >> like to spend less than $350.
    >>
    >> Can you point me in the right direction?
    >>
    >> Thank you

    > The Canon 28-135 IS is the choice here.

    I have a 28-135IS and would take the Sigma 18-200mm over it hands down.
    For a 1.6x crop digital camera 28mm just isn't wide enough for me.
    Also, aside from the IS, IMO, I think the Sigma is a sharper lens, is
    lighter and takes better looking pictures, in general. The IS is nice
    but not nice enough to tilt the balance.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 14, 2006
  9. CDZ

    John Guest

    Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> Make sure to pick up the 50mm f1.8 lens from Canon... It's like 70$,

    > https://www.adorama.com/CA5018AFU.html
    >
    > From everything I've read this is a good lens for the money ($69.95 at
    > adorama), sharp, lightweight and fast.

    Yep. I just got one. $69 including shipping. I can't see any obvious
    photographic differences between the $69 lens and my $1,000 Canon 'L' zoom
    lens. If anyone can find a subtle difference, then I'd recommend therapy.

    Of course, the feel of it somewhat is awful (for manually focusing) and it's
    somewhat noisy. But, hey! it's f1.8, very lightweight and easy to carry around.

    Probably the best bargain in the photo equipment world today.

    John, Dec 15, 2006
  10. Hi Michael,

    > I have a 28-135IS and would take the Sigma 18-200mm over it hands down.

    Do you have photos taken with the Sigma (or know of links to compare photos
    between the Canon and the Sigma)? I have been looking at the 28-135, but my
    fingers are actually starting to itch more for fixed lenses rather than
    zooms to get the image as sharp and clean to the sensor as possible.

    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas

    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 15, 2006
  11. CDZ

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    > Hi Michael,
    >
    >> I have a 28-135IS and would take the Sigma 18-200mm over it hands down.

    > Do you have photos taken with the Sigma (or know of links to compare photos
    > between the Canon and the Sigma)? I have been looking at the 28-135, but my
    > fingers are actually starting to itch more for fixed lenses rather than
    > zooms to get the image as sharp and clean to the sensor as possible.

    There is a review of the Sigma 18-200 here:

    http://www.photodo.com/topic_33.html

    I've never believed that lenses with zoom ranges
    of 10x or higher can achieve acceptable quality
    over the entire zoom range. I have had good
    results with a 28-135IS .. zoom range is 5x and
    the IS is a real plus.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Dec 15, 2006
  12. Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 15, 2006
  13. Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    > Hi Michael,
    >
    >> I have a 28-135IS and would take the Sigma 18-200mm over it hands down.

    > Do you have photos taken with the Sigma (or know of links to compare photos
    > between the Canon and the Sigma)? I have been looking at the 28-135, but my
    > fingers are actually starting to itch more for fixed lenses rather than
    > zooms to get the image as sharp and clean to the sensor as possible.

    Here you are:

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 15, 2006
  14. Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 15, 2006
  15. Phil Wheeler wrote:
    > Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    >> Hi Michael,
    >>
    >>> I have a 28-135IS and would take the Sigma 18-200mm over it hands down.

    >> Do you have photos taken with the Sigma (or know of links to compare
    >> photos between the Canon and the Sigma)? I have been looking at the
    >> 28-135, but my fingers are actually starting to itch more for fixed
    >> lenses rather than zooms to get the image as sharp and clean to the
    >> sensor as possible.
    >>

    > There is a review of the Sigma 18-200 here:
    >
    > http://www.photodo.com/topic_33.html
    >
    > I've never believed that lenses with zoom ranges of 10x or higher can
    > achieve acceptable quality over the entire zoom range. I have had good
    > results with a 28-135IS .. zoom range is 5x and the IS is a real plus.

    My experience with the Sigma 18-200mm at the extreme ends has been
    surprisingly good. Here are two telephoto shots taken at 200mm:

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_7000a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/IMG_5975.jpg

    The first is with plenty of light and the second is indoors/low light
    with an external flash. The long end of this lens is very good.

    Here are a couple of wide angle shots:

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_7166a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/WWII Memorial/WWIIMemorial2.jpg

    If the lens has a weakness it is a little soft at the wide end with
    maximum aperture but so are many other wide angle zoom lenses in its
    price range. A photographer with a little technical skill can get
    amazingly good photos using this lens. Plus, for spontaneous, candid
    shots it can't be beat for the price.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 15, 2006
  16. Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    > Hi Michael,
    >
    >> Here you are:

    > Thanks:)
    >
    > Love this one
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_7106a.jpg
    > :) Is this cropped or did you resize the orignal?

    That is straight out of the camera. It wasn't cropped but was resized
    to meet the upload requirements of Photobucket's web site. Here are a
    couple more from the same place (San Diego):

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_7166a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_7101a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_6611a.jpg

    Here's a few Washington, DC shots:

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/LincolnMemorial.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/WashingtonMonument.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/JeffersonMemorial.jpg

    All these are photos are uncropped and have received little or no post
    processing beyond resizing.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 15, 2006
  17. "Michael Johnson, PE" <> wrote in message
    > The lens is extremely convenient and practicle. Here are a few shots I
    > have taken with it on a 300D (original Digital Rebel):
    >
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/IMG_5975.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_7106a.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_7000a.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_6841a.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_6933a.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/WWII Memorial/WWIIMemorial8.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Pets/CRW_6703a.jpg

    Those are very good, IMO. The lens does perform well for you. Now I'm more
    anxious to get the Sigma 18-200mm OS lens when they release it.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 15, 2006
  18. Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    > "Michael Johnson, PE" <> wrote in message
    >> The lens is extremely convenient and practicle. Here are a few shots I
    >> have taken with it on a 300D (original Digital Rebel):
    >>
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/IMG_5975.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_7106a.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_7000a.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_6841a.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_6933a.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/WWII Memorial/WWIIMemorial8.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Pets/CRW_6703a.jpg

    > Those are very good, IMO. The lens does perform well for you. Now I'm more
    > anxious to get the Sigma 18-200mm OS lens when they release it.

    Thanks. I too will probably buy the OS version of this lens. I heard a
    rumor awhile back that Sigma was involved in the development of the
    Nikon 18-200VR lens. If true this may be the reason they are releasing
    it. Here is a shot of each lens:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093013sigma18-200dcos.asp
    http://www.wisetronics.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=nk18200vr

    There seems to be some similarity but then again maybe not.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 15, 2006
  19. Hi Michael,

    > All these are photos are uncropped and have received little or no post
    > processing beyond resizing.

    They look nice and sharp! Did you use a tripod are they handheld?
    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas

    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 15, 2006
  20. Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    > Hi Michael,
    >
    >> All these are photos are uncropped and have received little or no post
    >> processing beyond resizing.

    > They look nice and sharp! Did you use a tripod are they handheld?

    They are all hand held.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Dec 15, 2006