    Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.

    Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure takes
    a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.

    Craig Sutton, Jun 30, 2006

  2. Craig Sutton

    XPD Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    news:e82jvl$isr$...
    > Belarc advisor!
    >
    > Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
    >
    > Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure
    > takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.

    Yeah, Belarc is a handy prog, even shows you most of your product keys :)

    --
    XPD^
    http://www.xpd.co.nz/

    XPD, Jun 30, 2006

  3. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "XPD" <spam@xpd> wrote in message news:...
    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >> Belarc advisor!
    >>
    >> Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
    >>
    >> Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure
    >> takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.
    >>

    > Yeah, Belarc is a handy prog, even shows you most of your product keys :)

    Yep I have to wonder though how many people actually have the fancy nvidia
    cards and have them doing hardware decoding. As Mediaplayer 10 without
    installing 2 patches doesn't do it. They don't show up either as Ms updates.

    Craig Sutton, Jun 30, 2006
  4. Craig Sutton

    Alan Guest

    > Belarc advisor!
    >
    > Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
    >
    > Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It
    > sure takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.

    Just out of interest, had you run MBSA and did that identify the
    missing patches or did it miss them where Belarc found them?

    I have always assumed that if MS Update doesn't find them, nor will
    MBSA, but your post made me wonder.

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Jul 3, 2006
  5. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message news:e89rvc$b08$...

    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >> Belarc advisor!
    >>
    >> Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
    >>
    >> Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure
    >> takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.
    >>

    > Just out of interest, had you run MBSA and did that identify the missing
    > patches or did it miss them where Belarc found them?

    Have not tried MBSA.

    Craig Sutton, Jul 3, 2006
  6. Craig Sutton

    SchoolTech Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Belarc advisor!
    >
    > Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
    >
    > Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure takes
    > a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.

    MSBA is much better than Belarc and doesn't pop up advertising.

    SchoolTech, Jul 3, 2006
  7. Craig Sutton

    Alan Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> Belarc advisor!
    >>
    >> Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
    >>
    >> Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It
    >> sure takes a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.
    >>

    > MSBA is much better than Belarc and doesn't pop up advertising.

    Why do you say that MBSA is better?

    I do use MBSA (mainly because it is free and it seems sensible to use
    tool to check for OS updates that was written by the company that
    wrote the OS), but could Belarc do a better job of checking for
    missing updates?

    Obviously Belarc does other things, such as giving system info etc,
    but I am just trying to compare the patch management / checking side
    of things.

    Alan, Jul 4, 2006
  8. Craig Sutton

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <44a9942a$>,
    says...
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > Belarc advisor!
    > >
    > > Tipped me off that a couple of MS patches needed reinstalling.
    > >
    > > Now my Nvidia card is hardware decoding MPG/WMV as it should. It sure takes
    > > a load off the processor when playing back hdtv content.
    > >

    > MSBA is much better than Belarc and doesn't pop up advertising.

    They are two quite different products, IMO.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 4, 2006