    Can anyone suggest a good "howto" for firewalls a win2k3 server?
    Thanks,
    Mik

    joun, Sep 20, 2004

  2. joun

    Mike Guest

    www.watchguard.com

    --

    ------------------------------------

    Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
    blacklisted,
    submitted to anti-spam sites and proably burn in hell.

    Mike, Sep 20, 2004

  3. joun

    Leythos Guest

    In article <54E3d.13451$>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    > i would to install on a win2k3 server a good (and not tricky) firewall: what
    > can be a good choice?
    > The server will have the following services:
    > web service (iis), smtp, pop3, terminal services, windows media server, ftp
    > server;
    > Can anyone suggest a good "howto" for firewalls a win2k3 server?
    > Thanks,

    Do not get a software firewall (an application running on the server),
    get a appliance type firewall and put it between the server and the
    internet.

    For Terminal Services and management of the server, use a VPN connection
    to the firewall and then manage it as though you were already on the
    same network.

    For the other services, the firewall will provide added protection
    beyond your service packs and other functions/measures.

    And I had to say this last part, but don't do this yourself, get a
    professional - I've seen too many businesses attempt this on their own,
    because they know someone that is good with computers - security is an
    art that few really master, and if you have to ask the questions that
    you have, then you need to get a real professional to lock the server
    down for you. A professional will be cheaper in the long run.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Sep 20, 2004

    www.sonicwall.com

    T. Sean Weintz, Sep 22, 2004
  5. joun

    Mike Guest

    T. Sean Weintz wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> joun wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> i would to install on a win2k3 server a good (and not tricky)
    >>> firewall: what
    >>> can be a good choice?
    >>> The server will have the following services:
    >>> web service (iis), smtp, pop3, terminal services, windows media
    >>> server, ftp
    >>> server;
    >>> Can anyone suggest a good "howto" for firewalls a win2k3 server?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Mik
    >>>

    >> www.watchguard.com
    >>

    > www.sonicwall.com

    http://www.watchguard.com/training/...tition/firebox_vs_sonic__how_they_size_up.htm

    ;-)
    --

    ------------------------------------

    Mike, Sep 23, 2004
  6. joun

    joun Guest

    I know that an hardware solution is the best one, but in my case i can't
    access to the web farm to install the hardware firewall,
    so i must use a software firewall, to get a minimal protection;
    so what can be a good and rather simple solution for my server?
    Thanks,
    Mik

    joun, Sep 27, 2004
  7. joun

    Leythos Guest

    In article <PhY5d.11060$>,
    says...
    > I know that an hardware solution is the best one, but in my case i can't
    > access to the web farm to install the hardware firewall,
    > so i must use a software firewall, to get a minimal protection;
    > so what can be a good and rather simple solution for my server?
    > Thanks,
    > Mik

    Is it your server or a shared server? If it's your server then you can
    have a device preconfigured and shipped to the hosting company and have
    them connect it.

    I can't really suggest a on-server firewall solution, we just do install
    accessible servers that way.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Sep 27, 2004