    for ordering the K-01 was to see how the Pentax/Sony sensor performed,
    in-case I ever decide to get back into their DSLR's. I'd previously
    owned the K10D and K20D, before going to Nikon's D300.

    RichA, Apr 13, 2013

  2. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:16:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : I read a bunch of camera reviews and two stood out. The Pentax K-01
    : and the Q. The K-01 was excoriated because 1, it lacks an EVF and 2,
    : it has the same lens mount to sensor distance as the Pentax DSLRs, so
    : one of the advantages of mirror-less (the ability to mount all kinds
    : of different lenses with adapters) is absent. The Q stands out for
    : having a sensor no bigger than a middlin' point & shoot.
    : So, I figured, "How hard can it be to get decent photos with them?" I
    : ordered both and will see just how hard/awful it is to use them
    : compared to DSLR's and other mirror-less cameras. Part of my reason
    : for ordering the K-01 was to see how the Pentax/Sony sensor performed,
    : in-case I ever decide to get back into their DSLR's. I'd previously
    : owned the K10D and K20D, before going to Nikon's D300.

    Rich, you're playing with fire. Suppose the worst happens and you do get good
    pictures with those cameras. How will you be able to face us with the
    information that somebody makes a product that you actually *like*?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 13, 2013

  3. RichA

    Mike Guest

    On 4/13/2013 9:57 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:16:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    > : I read a bunch of camera reviews and two stood out. The Pentax K-01
    > : and the Q. The K-01 was excoriated because 1, it lacks an EVF and 2,
    > : it has the same lens mount to sensor distance as the Pentax DSLRs, so
    > : one of the advantages of mirror-less (the ability to mount all kinds
    > : of different lenses with adapters) is absent. The Q stands out for
    > : having a sensor no bigger than a middlin' point & shoot.
    > : So, I figured, "How hard can it be to get decent photos with them?" I
    > : ordered both and will see just how hard/awful it is to use them
    > : compared to DSLR's and other mirror-less cameras. Part of my reason
    > : for ordering the K-01 was to see how the Pentax/Sony sensor performed,
    > : in-case I ever decide to get back into their DSLR's. I'd previously
    > : owned the K10D and K20D, before going to Nikon's D300.
    >
    > Rich, you're playing with fire. Suppose the worst happens and you do get good
    > pictures with those cameras. How will you be able to face us with the
    > information that somebody makes a product that you actually *like*?
    >
    > Bob

    Maybe not Bob. I think you may be underestimating his talent for
    finding fault. It seems very well developed.

    Mike

    Mike, Apr 13, 2013
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 13, 9:57 am, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:16:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > : I read a bunch of camera reviews and two stood out.  The Pentax K-01
    > : and the Q.  The K-01 was excoriated because 1, it lacks an EVF and 2,
    > : it has the same lens mount to sensor distance as the Pentax DSLRs, so
    > : one of the advantages of mirror-less (the ability to mount all kinds
    > : of different lenses with adapters) is absent.  The Q stands out for
    > : having a sensor no bigger than a middlin' point & shoot.
    > : So, I figured, "How hard can it be to get decent photos with them?"  I
    > : ordered both and will see just how hard/awful it is to use them
    > : compared to DSLR's and other mirror-less cameras.  Part of my reason
    > : for ordering the K-01 was to see how the Pentax/Sony sensor performed,
    > : in-case I ever decide to get back into their DSLR's.  I'd previously
    > : owned the K10D and K20D, before going to Nikon's D300.
    >
    > Rich, you're playing with fire. Suppose the worst happens and you do get good
    > pictures with those cameras. How will you be able to face us with the
    > information that somebody makes a product that you actually *like*?
    >
    > Bob

    Come now, I've "liked" most products I've owned, but they all have
    shortcomings which must be mentioned because frankly, if a feature
    works, it's not going to cause problems and really merits little
    mention. Assume if it goes unmentioned, it's a good thing.

    RichA, Apr 14, 2013
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 13, 1:45 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:16:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I read a bunch of camera reviews and two stood out.  The Pentax K-01
    > >and the Q.  The K-01 was excoriated because 1, it lacks an EVF and 2,
    > >it has the same lens mount to sensor distance as the Pentax DSLRs, so
    > >one of the advantages of mirror-less (the ability to mount all kinds
    > >of different lenses with adapters) is absent.  The Q stands out for
    > >having a sensor no bigger than a middlin' point & shoot.
    > >So, I figured, "How hard can it be to get decent photos with them?"  I
    > >ordered both and will see just how hard/awful it is to use them
    > >compared to DSLR's and other mirror-less cameras.  Part of my reason
    > >for ordering the K-01 was to see how the Pentax/Sony sensor performed,
    > >in-case I ever decide to get back into their DSLR's.  I'd previously
    > >owned the K10D and K20D, before going to Nikon's D300.

    > The K-01 can and will produce excellent results *IF* you are patient
    > enough. IQ isn't the issue with that camera, it's the ergonomics and
    > speed. It's a true dog.

    The 1st firmware update radically sped-up focusing. It's still slow
    compared to other cameras, but bearable. I don't see it being used in
    actions shots, except perhaps by pre-focusing.

    RichA, Apr 14, 2013
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 14, 9:41 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 21:25:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Apr 13, 1:45 pm, Bowser <> wrote:

    > >> The K-01 can and will produce excellent results *IF* you are patient
    > >> enough. IQ isn't the issue with that camera, it's the ergonomics and
    > >> speed. It's a true dog.

    > >The 1st firmware update radically sped-up focusing.  It's still slow
    > >compared to other cameras, but bearable.  I don't see it being used in
    > >actions shots, except perhaps by pre-focusing.

    > The one I tried included the latest firmware. It's a pig.

    Honestly, a Nikon D5000 was worse, much more focus hunting in
    situations.
    Both using basic kit lenses, anyway.

    RichA, Apr 15, 2013
  7. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:16:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    > : I read a bunch of camera reviews and two stood out. The Pentax K-01
    > : and the Q. The K-01 was excoriated because 1, it lacks an EVF and 2,
    > : it has the same lens mount to sensor distance as the Pentax DSLRs, so
    > : one of the advantages of mirror-less (the ability to mount all kinds
    > : of different lenses with adapters) is absent. The Q stands out for
    > : having a sensor no bigger than a middlin' point & shoot.
    > : So, I figured, "How hard can it be to get decent photos with them?" I
    > : ordered both and will see just how hard/awful it is to use them
    > : compared to DSLR's and other mirror-less cameras. Part of my reason
    > : for ordering the K-01 was to see how the Pentax/Sony sensor performed,
    > : in-case I ever decide to get back into their DSLR's. I'd previously
    > : owned the K10D and K20D, before going to Nikon's D300.
    >
    > Rich, you're playing with fire. Suppose the worst happens and you do get good
    > pictures with those cameras. How will you be able to face us with the
    > information that somebody makes a product that you actually *like*?

    You could give him a Hasselblad with which he took a photo that won the
    Pulitzer, and he'd still be here telling you what a piece of crap it
    was.

    J. Clarke, May 12, 2013