    differences in float point computation?

    --
    Echevil

    Echevil, Sep 28, 2005

  2. Echevil

    zekolas Guest

    Echevil wrote:
    > is a program supposed to run faster when it is built for x64 system?
    >
    > i can configure my visual studio to build programs targeting 64bit
    > windows, but if i do not write any code different from those in 32bit
    > program, is there supposed to be any difference in performance?
    >
    > and also, what benefits do developers get? 64bit integer? any
    > differences in float point computation?

    I am not a programmer, (besides some perl and scripting) so I may not
    know what I am talking about. However from what I understand is some
    programs like multimedia applications and others will benifite from the
    64 bit integers. Also even if you do not write code differnently some
    programs may also benifite from 64 bit because the cpu has 2x the amount
    of registers, and the compiler may be optimized to use those.

    It would be interesting to do some test, and see how the 32 bit versions
    compaired to the 64 bit version in performance.

    zekolas, Sep 28, 2005

  3. This isn't really a programmer's group, but I can answer your questions in a
    general way.

    Will there be a difference in performance between a 64bit and a 32bit
    program? Will depend on the program, but generally yes. The x64 processor is
    more efficient, has more (and larger) registers, and uses a different
    floating point set of registers and instructions entirely. Plus, of course,
    the ability to directly address 8 TB of virtual memory address space. Even
    for programs that aren't memory address constrained, the new and wider
    registers can make a dramatic difference in some applications. For example,
    take a look at: http://www.cakewalk.com/x64/whitepaper.asp

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64