A Game of Handball

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dean S. Lautermilch, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. Dean S. Lautermilch, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Dean S. Lautermilch

    Gormless Guest

    Gormless, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Dean S. Lautermilch

    Mark² Guest

    Gormless wrote:
    > "Dean S. Lautermilch" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.pbase.com/
    >>

    > And your point is?

    Perhaps that he likes pictures of shirtless, sweaty men?
    :)

    Actually, these are very decent images of a sport that isn't easy to capture
    well.

    Mark², Sep 5, 2005
  4. Dean S. Lautermilch

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:03:13 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > Perhaps that he likes pictures of shirtless, sweaty men?
    > :)
    >
    > Actually, these are very decent images of a sport that isn't easy to capture
    > well.

    Variants aren't easy to play well either. One that I tried with
    wooden paddles on one-wall courts used golf balls. Yeeow!! Anyone
    lacking lightning fast reflexes was dead. Back then, when the more
    casual games were played with a Spalding ("spaldeen") instead of the
    smaller, harder, faster handball, we sometimes used Eastman 910, the
    forerunner of super glue, to weld something to the ball to make it
    randomly bounce erratically. This also required fast reflexes. We
    also liked timing these particular game variants to coincide with
    sundown, to reduce visibility. <g> I'm not sure you'd appreciate
    how we sometimes played ping-pong, but to distress you further, we
    didn't play on one side of the table. Instead we'd run around it
    (counter-clock-wise), so that each return shot was from alternate
    sides of the table. But at least here we weren't foolish enough to
    try using golf balls. More than once or twice. :)

    ASAAR, Sep 6, 2005
  5. Dean S. Lautermilch

    Mark² Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:03:13 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    >> Perhaps that he likes pictures of shirtless, sweaty men?
    >> :)
    >>
    >> Actually, these are very decent images of a sport that isn't easy to
    >> capture well.

    > Variants aren't easy to play well either. One that I tried with
    > wooden paddles on one-wall courts used golf balls. Yeeow!! Anyone
    > lacking lightning fast reflexes was dead. Back then, when the more
    > casual games were played with a Spalding ("spaldeen") instead of the
    > smaller, harder, faster handball, we sometimes used Eastman 910, the
    > forerunner of super glue, to weld something to the ball to make it
    > randomly bounce erratically. This also required fast reflexes. We
    > also liked timing these particular game variants to coincide with
    > sundown, to reduce visibility. <g> I'm not sure you'd appreciate
    > how we sometimes played ping-pong, but to distress you further, we
    > didn't play on one side of the table. Instead we'd run around it
    > (counter-clock-wise), so that each return shot was from alternate
    > sides of the table.

    We used to play ping-pong like that also, though it usually started out as
    an elimination game with more than two people to start with. We'd all take
    turns and go 'round the table. By the time it got down to two people, you
    had to switch sides for every shot as you described. -I wonder if I could
    still move that fast...and if I'm able...whether I'd be *willing.*

    :)

    >But at least here we weren't foolish enough to
    > try using golf balls. More than once or twice. :)

    Not on MY nice ping-pong table, you won't!

    Mark², Sep 6, 2005
  6. Dean S. Lautermilch

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:29:15 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > We used to play ping-pong like that also, though it usually started out as
    > an elimination game with more than two people to start with. We'd all take
    > turns and go 'round the table. By the time it got down to two people, you
    > had to switch sides for every shot as you described. -I wonder if I could
    > still move that fast...and if I'm able...whether I'd be *willing.*

    Actually, we'd usually have three people playing simultaneously
    and only try it with two when were couldn't get three. With three
    you don't need to be as fast, and I'd probably be able to still do
    it, but handball is something else. It would probably take me
    several weeks of slow going to get to the point where I wouldn't
    totally embarrass myself. I'm not sure that we're describing the
    same ping-pong game though. No matter how many were playing, all
    shots were made on alternating sides as everyone was simultaneously
    in motion running around the table. Were you talking about rotating
    before every serve or before every shot?

    ASAAR, Sep 6, 2005